The Finland Project aka Carl's Bait Shop

• 37 Replies

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »
Hey guys.  As I mentioned above, our decision to sell the shop has allowed me to get some decent work done on the course as of late.  Just posted a new beta yesterday afternoon and there are some significant changes from the previous version(s).

First of all, the 17th and 18th holes are now pretty much complete as far as the playing surfaces are concerned.  The 18th may get a couple of more bunkers and still needs a bunch of work to build the viewing area along the left hand side, but it shouldn't change how the hole plays.  The 16th also needs pathways to the teeing areas as well as a bridge connecting the fairway and green.

Here are the first looks at the two new finishing holes. 

The 17th hole is a mid to long par 4 with plenty of options off the tee.

Like many others here, the green sits up on a 'shelf'.  Coming in from too far out or the wrong angle is going to create a challenge.

The fairway of the 18th is probably the widest on the course, but you'll have to navigate a lone pine tree and this small bunker...

The view from the front of the clubhouse.  The 9th and 18th are both downhill par 5s that run almost parallel.  The 10th tee is in the left foreground here and plays off to the right.

Like I mentioned, lots of other changes to the course this time around.  Sometime shortly after posting the previous beta I had an epiphany in the designer and discovered a new way to lay textures using only a single brush that eliminates most of the janky edges between textures.  So basically I went back and reworked all of the previous holes and 'patched' up the edges of all of my greens, fairways, etc..  Oh, and I also pulled up and rebuilt every single bunker.  None of this really changed how the course plays but everything looks so much smoother now. :)

There were also some changes that will effect gameplay however, such as:

- Expansions of the 5th and 8th greens along with minor changes to a few others on the front side.

- New creek cuts across the 5th hole joining two bodies of water.

- Waste bunkers beside the 7th green and in front of the 9th green removed.

- Large waste area added to the 7th fairway.

- New challenging teeboxes on the 6th and 8th holes.

- Extensive changes to the 10th and 11th fairways to improve both visibility and playability.

- Several new bunkers added to the 13th fairway.

Here are some more photos that I snapped since the last time we spoke...

Again, the latest beta version is called:

Finland Project beta v2
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:25:06 PM by bradleystuart »

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 05:59:58 AM »
looks great m8, i may even reinstall TGC just to play it...great work!

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »
I played beta 2 last night - nice course but it seems a bit on the dark side to me

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
1,100 hours of designing over 28 months.  The Finland Project is almost complete!

Now that is dedication to a craft..this is one very good looking course.

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
looks great m8, i may even reinstall TGC just to play it...great work!

Hey DB, nice to see you again.  How have you been?  I see you pop up on steam every once and a while playing some other golf game. ;)  Glad you didn't give up the sport.

I played beta 2 last night - nice course but it seems a bit on the dark side to me

Yeah, I was disappointed with that too.  Since this course is up near the arctic circle, the sun will always be low in the sky.  Just before publishing I tweaked it down as low as I could get it without being below the mountains in the background.  That coupled with the overcast skies made some of the holes quite dreary.  :(

Now that is dedication to a craft..this is one very good looking course.

Thank you sir.  Although true, I guess it is a bit misleading as the course has been through at least two distinct builds and even had some work done in the links theme before going to boreal.  If I started this project over from scratch I could probably do it in 500 or 600 hours.  Maybe.

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »
Hmmm...I might have something up my sleeve.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:50:23 PM by bradleystuart »

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 07:10:08 PM »
Hey guys, I'm still plugging away at this.  The course has been entered into the Invicta World Cup of Design so the official release must be by January 1st but I'll try to get it out a few days earlier if I can.

Was taking some pictures of the golf course yesterday using Artic's old camera...thought I would share.

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »
The golf course has finally been published!

Check out the new thread in the Completed section.

Hope you all have a great and happy new year!

space-cash