Game Crashes After Enabling SLI - GTX 980's

• 10 Replies

KingJavo

• GroupMember
    • SimHeads
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:50 AM »
The game crashes a few seconds after starting or resuming a round.  Basically any gameplay scene.

I'm running 2 Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Cards into SLI mode.  Now the game crashes starting today.

Any thoughts?

Steam Name:  KingJavo
Controller:  XBOX 360
----------------------------------------
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
2x - Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:57 AM »
The game crashes a few seconds after starting or resuming a round.  Basically any gameplay scene.

I'm running 2 Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Cards into SLI mode.  Now the game crashes starting today.

Any thoughts?

AFAIK, there is no SLI profile for this game as well as no Crossfire profile for AMD cards. I have asked AMD to consider a Crossfire profile for this game and one other game and the response is that they have resources to work on AAA games only right now. I am guessing nVidia would come forward with a similar response. If you have the latest nV drivers, I am hearing you should roll back to the previous ones as the latest and greatest are having crash issues.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

BoomBoom

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »
OH great, waiting on delivery now on a puter with dual 980's
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

KingJavo

• GroupMember
    • SimHeads
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
I was hoping by adding a second GTX 980 that the game would run flawlessly, but that's obviously not the case. :( 

I'm not super familiar with how SLI works, but it seems as though I needed to have both monitors hooked up to one single card in order for the SLI setting to be enabled.  Also, does anyone know if you still gain performance by having 2 video cards with SLI turned off??
Windows 10 64 bit

KingJavo

• GroupMember
    • SimHeads
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »
You are correct about needing to connect both monitors to the main card when using SLI.  When SLI is enabled, the second card essentially disappears along with anything connected to it.  With dual monitors and SLI disabled, you will get no speed benefit from the second card.  However, you will be able to span your display across both monitors essentially giving a wider display.  This is really only useful (IMO) if you have three identical monitors as you will have a bar in the middle of the screen otherwise.  In this scenario, only the main card will actually provide acceleration.

Thanks for clarifying.  So what's your advice when you have 2 monitors and 2 cards and you don't want to span across both?  Would id be better to just disable SLI and only hook up one monitor or is that the same as having 1 card because you're not using the bridge?

The 2nd card was almost $500... I'm not going to spend the money if there's no benefit. :(
Windows 10 64 bit

KingJavo

• GroupMember
    • SimHeads
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:41:54 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response.  :)

So HB, any timeline or thoughts on supporting Nvidia cards using SLI?  I'm sure there's something we can do to make the game run smoothly.
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »

So HB, any timeline or thoughts on supporting Nvidia cards using SLI?  I'm sure there's something we can do to make the game run smoothly.

I can tell you that nVidia is not going to support development of an SLI profile for this game. AMD has told me directly they do not have the resources to invest in an AMD Crossfire profile for this game or that other PC Golf game. Both games are considered "Indie" games and do not fall under the description of "AAA title", therefore it is unlikely you will see any support from either vendor.
PC

Xbox One X

KingJavo

• GroupMember
    • SimHeads
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »

I can tell you that nVidia is not going to support development of an SLI profile for this game. AMD has told me directly they do not have the resources to invest in an AMD Crossfire profile for this game or that other PC Golf game. Both games are considered "Indie" games and do not fall under the description of "AAA title", therefore it is unlikely you will see any support from either vendor.

Rocket League was an Indie game...  maybe there's a chance! :)  I hear what you're saying though.  So it's on the Video Card makers court to solve this and not HB?
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »

Rocket League was an Indie game...  maybe there's a chance! :)  I hear what you're saying though.  So it's on the Video Card makers court to solve this and not HB?

Well, if someone can convince nVidia to do one, I will go back to my contacts at AMD and use that as leverage to get one from them for our AMD users too.....
PC

Xbox One X

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 03:41:02 PM »
I too am running two 980s in SLI and I too have had issues of things crashing.

The solution I found was much more simpler but still sux. I downloaded the 32 bit version of the game and all crashes have ceased.  I lose anywhere from 10-20 FPS due to this but I can load and play the game with no issues.

I'm using Windows 10, 64 bit version.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 09:28:55 PM »
I may have figured this out. Go into the game and turn OFF V-Sync.  I completely forgot about this.  V-sync is auto enabled in the game and G-Sync if you have it, doesn't work well with V-sync.   Of course if you don't have g-sync enabled, then this isn't the answer.

space-cash