Technical question for HB about current Meter functionality

• 5 Replies

TheHack

« on: April 28, 2016, 05:49:42 PM »
Found the following in the feature enhancement list , not sure if this is exact issue I am bringing up
"Have Orientation, Inclination, Time slider divided into sections as is with mouse   Low Priority"
my question is:
Do the meters to set Green Speed and Fairway Firmness ETC have a set number of variations or is it like 1 to X possiblities exactly?
See Figure 1

Current meter functionality
1. The current meters are adjusted by clicking right or left arrows to get indicator circle to preferred setting
In testing I can get up to maybe 20 or so different variations on each meter. The meter can end up in different places depending on how long the mouse button or controller button is held an it might take many tries to get the indicator circle to a position user may prefer.

Depending on the answer from HB about current Meter functionality I will have a few questions on future improvements or refinement of meters in game like:
1. Possibly implement Snap Increment on Meters to make game settings more consistant and easier to set in GNCD
2. Select Course - Search Screen sorting functions can be added based on these consistant settings.
I would love to see sorting in each column in the course selection screen to help filter courses
IE click on "Green Speed " and courses sort accordingly. I would prefer lots of fields to sort by in future releases.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:19:00 PM by TheHack »

TheHack

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »
Umm anyone else feel free to chime in ... am I just missing something really obvious here? maybe I should just yank this apparently useless post :):(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:19:21 AM by TheHack »

HitItLong

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »
Green Firmness only has 3 different settings this has been confirmed by HB. The meter may very well have 20 different positions as you have found, but there are only 3 settings, soft, medium and firm.

Green speed probably is as you have found.

HB could and should improve the course search and filtering capability in game, however I am personally not seeking or advocating they make a filter by green speed function, they should have better things to do IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:35:10 AM by HitItLong »
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

TheHack

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »
Green Firmness only has 3 different settings this has been confirmed by HB. The meter may very well have 20 different positions as you have found, but there are only 3 settings, soft, medium and firm.

Green speed probably is as you have found.

HB could and should improve the course search and filtering capability in game, however I am personally not seeking or advocating they make a filter by green speed function, they should have better things to do IMHO.

Thanks Hit, for the definitive answer on the firmness meter. The current meters are confusing. snapping to each possible setting would be more definitive in any case and avoid any confusion.

So I'm still not sure about the speed settings and how many increments there are on that one. I guess I could do it the hard way and set up a test scenario.:(
the green speed search option suggestion was a general example of additional search options that would be great but your right way too many other things to work on first.

Sometimes I wish I could set green speeds locally. I'm sure that would cause chaos with rankings etc, maybe if those plays were disconnected  from rankings etc it would work. Then users could play any course at a setting they prefer.

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
I've seen just about every green speed, and I've seen courses vary by 1 FT max putter distance.  I have a course where the putt speed is 127 feet, another with 125 feet, and one with 122 feet.  I've seen both 144 and 145.  I've seen 187 and 183.  I've seen 101 and 103.  I'm pretty sure anything from 101 through 187 is possible.

I also note that when I am zoomed way in so that I can only see a single texture (such as fairway), my frame rate improves, and I can make the minute adjustments to the sliders.  When I am zoomed out and press the A/D key, the dial jumps a lot.

As for the green and fairway firmness settings, anything below 10:30 is interpreted as SOFT, anything above 1:30 is FIRM, and anything in between is MEDIUM.  I really hope a future update allows designers to dial these settings in precisely, giving us greater flexibility.  FIRM fairways are just ridiculous near the greens.
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

TheHack

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the input Erixon. I think this subject is important to course designers and since theres no manual that I know of explaining anything it's up to us to figure out settings. 

space-cash