Ball squirt

• 66 Replies

BoomBoom

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »
Must be one of the few. I have never experienced ball squirt.
I think the ship has long ago sailed that it does not exist.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

stan_solo

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »
Artificial randomness should never apply  .... throwing your ball 20ft offline into a pond is no fun for anyone.

Variance should come from the swing and execution of the shot itself
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:26:29 PM by stan_solo »

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:16 AM »
Have to agree with you smurf.

Some people just want other peoples scores to rise, artificial difficulty is pointless.

When the squirt was reduced the game enjoyment climbed for me significantly, not because my scores got better, but because the potential for better scores increased with more practice. It gave me a sense of direction, a sense of I could, with work, smart practice play the game better and maybe give the big boys a run.

Random unexplainable deviation just gives me a sense of "why bother". That's not golf IMHO. Even in RL, guys who strive to improve will beat balls and learn and practice different shots in an attempt to get better, some wont, but some will. It's about the goals of different people, different strokes for different folks so to speak. However improvement in RL is always available to everyone.

You can't practice random deviation away. That takes away a significant part of the enjoyment I get from the game.

BINGO. This is why I have beaten the swing mechanic gameplay challenge drum. Challenge the user to execute the shot, but do not randomply penalize him/her when they execute a great shot. Make shot execution more challenging and get away from "random mis-hits" altogether.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »
How many of you have had ball squirt in the last 10 times you played?

Me - never

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »

Me - never

Every time I play....if you don't hit the ball straight the vast majority of time, it won't affect you......
PC

Xbox One X

BoomBoom

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »

Me - never
It's hardly even there now, just want to make sure they don't re-think it.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »

Me - never

Every time I play....if you don't hit the ball straight the vast majority of time, it won't affect you......

Hit the ball dead on almost all the time. Why can't I be one of those it doesn't affect without added commentary from my peanut gallery?

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »
Without being replaced by complexity that produces more variance a random component is better left in.
We may aswell jus go play pure holdem if we want a game based on chance and  random. This is supposed to be a skill based video game. Just because the game isnt as hard as you wud like doesn mean "ah sure we'll throw in this random component that doesn effect everybody the same" to make it right. We dont want lottery golf and im sure very very few ppl do.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

There is a psuedo-random component in golf. Tournaments are decided by wind gusts, lucky bounces, balls in divots, putts wobbling the right way etc. all the time. The best golfers have two qualities that make them the best, impeccable decision making and shot selection in the face of imperfect information and immense pressure, as well as the ability to get over the random crap the course throws at them at the worst times. There are similarities with hold-em.

Perfect ball-strikers are a dime a dozen.

Of course, a lot of what looks random really isn't. Would be refreshing having a video-game that captures that complexity and level of authenticity. TGC has glimpses of it. Random is the lazy way there, of course, and I'd prefer no randomness as well. But not at the cost of zero variance making the game a hole-out contest. It's disconnected enough from golf as it is.

Simple execution - Complex environment would be a winning formula.

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 12:01:55 PM »

Me - never

Hit the ball dead on almost all the time. Why can't I be one of those it doesn't affect without added commentary from my peanut gallery?

YOU asked the question and I gave an answer....stop with the snarky innuendo and comments.....
PC

Xbox One X

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »
Without being replaced by complexity that produces more variance a random component is better left in.
We may aswell jus go play pure holdem if we want a game based on chance and  random. This is supposed to be a skill based video game. Just because the game isnt as hard as you wud like doesn mean "ah sure we'll throw in this random component that doesn effect everybody the same" to make it right. We dont want lottery golf and im sure very very few ppl do.

There is a psuedo-random component in golf. Tournaments are decided by wind gusts, lucky bounces, balls in divots, putts wobbling the right way etc. all the time. The best golfers have two qualities that make them the best, impeccable decision making and shot selection in the face of imperfect information and immense pressure, as well as the ability to get over the random crap the course throws at them at the worst times. There are similarities with hold-em.

Of course, a lot of what looks random really isn't. Would be refreshing having a video-game that captures that complexity and level of authenticity. TGC has glimpses of it. Random is the lazy way there, of course, and I'd prefer no randomness as well. But not at the cost of zero variance making the game a hole-out contest. It's disconnected enough from golf as it is.

How many Sundays did we see Tiger shank it into the crowds only to come back and win the match?

What just happened to Jordan at Augusta?

smurfblade1988

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »

What u call random in real golf isnt random tho. There is a scientific explanation for everything, thus there is no random irl golf.

This is a video game, not real life golf. Its obviously gonna be alot easier than real life golf so to hold the video game difficulty to the same standards of difficulty in real life golf is silly.

We all recognise golf is a game of immense skill and so is sports based video games. To have random components that alter results in skill based games is ridiculous and to sell a sports based video game wit random components without telling ppl thats what theyre buying poor form IMO.

TGC is far from a hole out competition as weeky events show you. Yes the swing could be harder and for me lots of things should be harder like chipping, flopping, shots from rough, bunkers etc and my solution wud be to narrow the shot cone dramatically for difficult shots.

I could never get on board with random in skill based games. I think theyre cheap, lazy and takes away aloy from the game itself.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »
I never really see it. If anything I see it when I putt sometimes but I think it is a slope on the green I can not see with no grids.

I agree though make the swing determine where the ball goes and let the chips fall where they may.

Don't get me started on poker. Played for over 10 years in mid level cash games. I'd rather be lucky most times than good. Could not tell you how many times some donkey has got a 3 outer or stayed in to his 8 high flush to beat me .
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

smurfblade1988

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »

What u call random in real golf isnt random tho. There is a scientific explanation for everything, thus there is no random irl golf.

This is a video game, not real life golf. Its obviously gonna be alot easier than real life golf so to hold the video game difficulty to the same standards of difficulty in real life golf is silly.

We all recognise golf is a game of immense skill and so is sports based video games. To have random components that alter results in skill based games is ridiculous and to sell a sports based video game wit random components without telling ppl thats what theyre buying poor form IMO.

TGC is far from a hole out competition as weeky events show you. Yes the swing could be harder and for me lots of things should be harder like chipping, flopping, shots from rough, bunkers etc and my solution wud be to narrow the shot cone dramatically for difficult shots.

I could never get on board with random in skill based games. I think theyre cheap, lazy and takes away aloy from the game itself.

Plus like most ofthese games the games not easy in general. 99% of ppl who play this game dont find it easy. Its only the 1% who put enormous amounts of effort to learn the game who may call it easy. I think im right in sayin the average rnd score in this game since its inception is +1....that shows it aint easy for a golf video game.

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 01:11:50 PM »

Plus like most ofthese games the games not easy in general. 99% of ppl who play this game dont find it easy. Its only the 1% who put enormous amounts of effort to learn the game who may call it easy. I think im right in sayin the average rnd score in this game since its inception is +1....that shows it aint easy for a golf video game.

Wait for it...............

ajl5313

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »

So true.  The game should not be made any harder to cater to the loud 1%.
Plus, even if you did make it more challenging, the 1% would just adapt to that and be complaining all over again.

The game is perfect as is.
Excited for more Dev Diaries!

space-cash