St. Andrews Links - Old Course

• 63 Replies

leslie.sangster

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
Are you going to simulate the buildings alongside the 18th fairway?

If I can, yes. As many as possible.

I don't want FPS to take a hit, though, so it will be an evolving process. Much like tree planting, I'll try to find the best way to place as few buildings as possible, while making it seem like a lot more is there. I'm not sure if it can be done or not, as I've never really tried. We'll see.
Should look cool mate

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »
The worst thing about buildings is the hit on your planting meter, you don't have to place many to take up quite a chunk of it.

Good luck with it, really looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

TeeJay0218

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 10:30:08 PM »
   As long as the angles of the tee shot over the hotel is accurate from the back tees ill be happy lol

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

PGA Tour Founder/President
Playstation 4's Premier Sim Society!
Play the way the pros do, green grids and scout cam off.

Royce

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
   As long as the angles of the tee shot over the hotel is accurate from the back tees ill be happy lol

Nobody's got that correct in any version I've played, can't wait to finally be able to hit that shot....
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

TeeJay0218

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 10:39:47 PM »
Exactly

PGA Tour Founder/President
Playstation 4's Premier Sim Society!
Play the way the pros do, green grids and scout cam off.

Colinmafia

• Maker of Enjoyable Easy to play RCR look-a-likies
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Mine are all handicapped now Lol, nice to see CLV finally having a go at it, my Open St.Andrews (thursday to friday) Road Hole, Hotel Shot is a lot of fun and was mean't to be when i played it for real in 1983 i can remember being very close to the chain link fence on the right and drove over the train sheds landing in the rough just short of the right edge of the fairway but made a 5, kept a 7 off my card that day 94 looking forward to it Good Luck!!

Royce

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
I love the Rory version where the road is OB  :(

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Reppdogg

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »
I play Rory from time to time for the PGA feel and presentation. Great reference too for the accuracy of the courses, I'm curious how much of Oakmont on Rory was used for doing your version CLV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
I think Clv found it to be off on several key points?

RussWest44

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:42 AM »
should have done carnoustie :(
Wrong hole Kobe

SCL

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »
How do you think your course will differ from the one that is currently making rounds on the list?

Hard to say for sure until it's done. Here's two things I know for sure, though:

1. I was disappointed with the accuracy of holes 16 and 17, and probably 11, too. These are some of the most emulated holes on earth, so I think making sure they are accurate as possible is a must.
2. I adamantly believe that this course should be max firm, with medium-slow greens. I've experimented with some of my fictional courses, and I believe it will most accurately represent the course.

Thanks.

The one I have played a lot is "St. Andrews Old Course 2015". Not sure who made it. I'll have to revisit it to look at 11, 16, and 17. I love the open links style of the course, but playing this one (referenced above) in particular in frustrating. There are some ridiculous evil greens with horrendous breaks. The course design also seems a tad bit exaggerated. Never having been to the course, I have no clue how realistic it is. I do believe the above version is fairly difficult. It plays hard. It has about 1,100 plays I believe, and last time I looked, a -8 puts one in the top ten.

oh...quick question if I may . . . when you design, is there a way to make the golf cart path one shade of asphalt, and then make say a road another shade? When I try to design, the game always defaults to one shade or color.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:38:12 AM by SCL »

Royce

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
How do you think your course will differ from the one that is currently making rounds on the list?

oh...quick question if I may . . . when you design, is there a way to make the golf cart path one shade of asphalt, and then make say a road another shade? When I try to design, the game always defaults to one shade or color.

You can you the cart path texture as one of the two custom surface slots, but you lose the point-to-point method of laying down the custom texture, instead you have to use the brushes to lay it down.

TGC2 Completed Courses:

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

BoomBoom

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »

Hard to say for sure until it's done. Here's two things I know for sure, though:

1. I was disappointed with the accuracy of holes 16 and 17, and probably 11, too. These are some of the most emulated holes on earth, so I think making sure they are accurate as possible is a must.
2. I adamantly believe that this course should be max firm, with medium-slow greens. I've experimented with some of my fictional courses, and I believe it will most accurately represent the course.

Thanks.

The one I have played a lot is "St. Andrews Old Course 2015". Not sure who made it. I'll have to revisit it to look at 11, 16, and 17. I love the open links style of the course, but playing this one (referenced above) in particular in frustrating. There are some ridiculous evil greens with horrendous breaks. The course design also seems a tad bit exaggerated. Never having been to the course, I have no clue how realistic it is. I do believe the above version is fairly difficult. It plays hard. It has about 1,100 plays I believe, and last time I looked, a -8 puts one in the top ten.

Judging an RCR by how easy it is to play with no regard for the accuracy of the RCR is just plain wrong on so many levels IMHO.

Amount of Plays for an accurately named course is no judge, people search for the real name and will play junk if named right.

My favorite St Andrews in game so far is called "the Royal St Andrews". Not everyone's cup of tee, but I thought the links style mounding done here to be very accurate to the real thing. However it's all subjective, I suppose. It missed the mark in plenty of areas though.

So really looking forward to a CLV level St Andrews. To bad the firmness levels in game cannot go higher than they are now, especially for fairways, the firmness and speed of fairways is what makes St Andrews cool to play.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

SCL

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »
I wasn't trying to imply that the number of plays a course has, is a good indicator that the course is the best representation. Of course that's not true. A lot of good courses slip through the cracks. That said, you see a course like CLV's Magnolia with 24,000 plays, surely it's popularity has to mean something in terms of people enjoying it. Word of mouth works.

Anyways, my point about the number of plays, was with HOW the course plays in terms of the player base and their difficulty with it. I see a course with over a 1,000 plays, (let's say in the 1,000 to 4,000 range)  . . .and the bottom end of the top ten scores still in the -6 to -8 range, to me that says the course is playing pretty tough. As opposed to a top ten that has a spread of say -16 to -14.

I'll definitely try the St Andrews course you mentioned. Thank you very much for the head's up!!!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:08:32 AM by SCL »

SCL

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »

You can you the cart path texture as one of the two custom surface slots, but you lose the point-to-point method of laying down the custom texture, instead you have to use the brushes to lay it down.

I have no clue how to do this. Lay brushes down? Thanks, if it's not to much trouble to explain this, or direct me to a link.

space-cash