St. Andrews Links - Old Course

• 63 Replies

BoomBoom

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
Same as laying fairway or rough, it's number 6 and 7 brushes, you can set the textures to concrete and lay it like you do fairway etc.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

StormGolf73

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 03:28:01 PM »
How do you think your course will differ from the one that is currently making rounds on the list?

Hard to say for sure until it's done. Here's two things I know for sure, though:

1. I was disappointed with the accuracy of holes 16 and 17, and probably 11, too. These are some of the most emulated holes on earth, so I think making sure they are accurate as possible is a must.
2. I adamantly believe that this course should be max firm, with medium-slow greens. I've experimented with some of my fictional courses, and I believe it will most accurately represent the course.

Thanks.

The one I have played a lot is "St. Andrews Old Course 2015". Not sure who made it. I'll have to revisit it to look at 11, 16, and 17. I love the open links style of the course, but playing this one (referenced above) in particular in frustrating. There are some ridiculous evil greens with horrendous breaks. The course design also seems a tad bit exaggerated. Never having been to the course, I have no clue how realistic it is. I do believe the above version is fairly difficult. It plays hard. It has about 1,100 plays I believe, and last time I looked, a -8 puts one in the top ten.

oh...quick question if I may . . . when you design, is there a way to make the golf cart path one shade of asphalt, and then make say a road another shade? When I try to design, the game always defaults to one shade or color.
Judging an RCR by how easy it is to play with no regard for the accuracy of the RCR is just plain wrong on so many levels IMHO.

Amount of Plays for an accurately named course is no judge, people search for the real name and will play junk if named right.

My favorite St Andrews in game so far is called "the Royal St Andrews". Not everyone's cup of tee, but I thought the links style mounding done here to be very accurate to the real thing. However it's all subjective, I suppose. It missed the mark in plenty of areas though.

So really looking forward to a CLV level St Andrews. To bad the firmness levels in game cannot go higher than they are now, especially for fairways, the firmness and speed of fairways is what makes St Andrews cool to play.

We can always hope June 14th brings us some love in this area of firmness and setting tweaks :))))
StormGolf73 on PC and XB1

My Courses
TPC Four Seasons - Coming
Bay Hill Club & Lodge - RCR
Trump National Philadelphia - RCR
Southern Hills Country Club - RCR
Galveston Country Club - RCR
The DC Golf Club - Design Contest
The Wicklow Hollow Golf Club
Aster Creek Country Club
Hawktree Golf Club -RCR

Colinmafia

• Maker of Enjoyable Easy to play RCR look-a-likies
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 09:46:25 PM »
Thats my first version Boom Boom my best version is St. Andrews Stadium Edition and you can play it in reverse on St. Andrews Vice Versa

Colinmafia

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 10:02:12 PM »
The BlueGolf.com layout for st. andrews was added by me originally i did it before TGC was born along with Turnberry and Ladybank

Colinmafia

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 09:32:39 PM »
Strokesport flyover videos foe St. Andrews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXUEzq_G-AY

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 01:33:48 PM »
Ive always thought The Royal St Andrews Old Course Version is very very good..A few disagree but i thought it was a great attempt at a tricky course to do.I thought it was alot better than most people said.I Reckon with the new themes maybe highland and new textures this good be a classic version if the designer ever updated it.

Oh hang on he did update it giving it a go now,1st impressions rough and trees a little too big,perferred 1st version
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:40:41 PM by Yeltzman »

theclv24

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 11:54:01 PM »
Small update, chugging along. You can follow progress here: http://clvgolf.com/works-in-progress

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 12:09:45 AM »
can you try a little harder - it looks autogen'd!!  ;)

rdh

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »
Looking as awesome as i'd expected!  Old MacArthur looks fantastic too!

liquidsnake000

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
Its the one reason i dont do recreations i couldnt be bothered getting everything exactly the same with all the distances and stuff, i suppose thats the one plus about doing an original, but hats off to the recreational guys credit where its due they are very accurate.
bring on 2019 tgc.

liquidsnake000

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 07:46:45 AM »
can you try a little harder - it looks autogen'd!!  ;)
bad man you doyley lol ::)
bring on 2019 tgc.

liquidsnake000

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »
was it you clv who did augusta.
bring on 2019 tgc.

JRuckles

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
I am extremely amped for this one!

BoomBoom

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
I am extremely amped for this one!
Me too, it's got a spot firmly placed and ready in the favorite list.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

theclv24

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »
So far the Google Earth overhead for this course is pretty fuzzy, so it's been challenging. Almost every street, alley, and even cart path on the course has street view though, so I've been basically taking a tour of the whole city and course. So much fun, this one is already my favorite that I've worked on. So much detail and character everywhere.

space-cash