St. Andrews Links - Old Course

• 63 Replies

Royce

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »
So far the Google Earth overhead for this course is pretty fuzzy, so it's been challenging. Almost every street, alley, and even cart path on the course has street view though, so I've been basically taking a tour of the whole city and course. So much fun, this one is already my favorite that I've worked on. So much detail and character everywhere.

That's great to hear, after your Oakmont effort I can't wait to see what you conjure up here, especially if you're enjoying this one more!
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

theclv24

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »
Here is a small update.

In a nutshell, mostly detail work has been done, although you should be able to see that the 17th and 2nd holes are nearly fully plotted. The biggest, latest addition here is the Old Course Hotel. Quite frankly, the building selection in the game doesn't do this building justice. My first priority was to try to replicate the 17th tee shot accurately. After that, it was just trying to get the course-facing side to look realistic. The hotel is not tall enough, and from afar it tends to look like a series of homes or apartments rather than a large hotel. There might be room for improvement, but honestly, I don't know what that would entail at this point.

Here are some pics, starting with the West Sands.

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
When the game first came out i tried the oil tanker for the hotel with some building round it trying to get height right,spent a few hours trying gave up in end here something i just put together give you a example..

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
As someone who's bounced a ball off that hotel (17 is brutally hard) I think you've got it as good as it can be with the objects available

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »
Yeah - that looks really good for what you have to work with.

You have to really fan one to hit the hotel though unless the wind is up.....

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Agreed.  That gives the feeling. 

theclv24

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2016, 01:55:58 AM »
Another update. I know these feel small, but these actually reflect a ton of hours for each update.

Some more beach has gone in:

The 2nd and 16th double green has been placed. The 1st and 18th holes of the New Course can also be seen.

Still working on adding more to the town of St. Andrews. This has been difficult and frustrating work, as the biggest buildings work best for visuals, but the flattened area surrounding these buildings really screws up the roads.

Oswinner

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »
I hate to say it but this is going to be amazing. What conditions are you publishing CLV? Firm/medium? Firm/slow? A nice Scottish wet and rainy soft/slow?
LSG Tour (Legend Sim Golf Tour) - The Toughest Test of Video Golf!

Thrangar

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
Efforts like this is what has/will always keep TGC above the rest, you just shamed EA to the point of no return

Really looking forward to this one, will definitely be a fav and looks like it might become the new standard for course benchmarks!
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »
Town must have taken ages. Above and beyond as usual.

Royce

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:42 AM »
Looking fantastic so far, really like how it's coming together so far, that town area must have been a real chore to map out & put together.

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »
thats a ton of buildings,  how much of the plant-o-meter have you used?

when i was working on east lake,  i put down like 10-15 parking lots (from building section) and it ate up half my planting meter.
i will....

Royce

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »
For what it's worth I used in the range of 50-55 buildings on my Oakland Hills South Course, planting meter was certainly a worry for me but it peaked around 80% even with a massive amount of buildings.  But also mine were far more spread out across the entire course, which I assume helps framerate when rendering.

TGC2 Completed Courses:

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Reppdogg

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
Just breathtaking. That final picture of the buildings looks phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theclv24

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »
Still under 50% on the meter... maybe in the 35-40% range. So it hasn't been too bad, nor do I experience lag on my CPU, which can be on the lag sensitive side. Outside of the buildings seen from hole level, it thins out behind. So if you were to fly around with the scout cam, it won't be a truly authentic experience. I'd say more people than not won't do this, though, so from eye level it at least will retain a somewhat authentic feel. I probably have a handful of buildings left to plant in the 1st/18th area, and only a tiny amount of small buildings spread throughout the rest of the plot. In other words, I think all will be ok.

Targeted settings at the moment are firm and somewhere in the slow to medium range for putting speeds. The settings work well on my Old MacArthur course, but only play testing will confirm if it works for the Old Course or not.

space-cash