To upgrade or not

• 28 Replies

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
Just built the rig I'm on, hope it was enough.

Dox

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
If you need to upgrade from a recently built machine then I am certainly out of the game.

Trying to find a current list of games that use the Unity 5 engine specifically but no luck so far(I am tired so probably just missing it on my search). I wanted to just get an idea what some of the min/max specs are for most games using it.
Completed courses:
Aspinwall Motor Speedway Golf Course
Foxhurst Valley
Ashford Pines Golf Club
Ashford Pines Golf Club - Members
Ashford Pines Golf Club - Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198116348594

stan_solo

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
Trying to find a current list of games that use the Unity 5 engine specifically but no luck so far

how about Perfect Golf                       ;)

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
If you need to upgrade from a recently built machine then I am certainly out of the game.

Trying to find a current list of games that use the Unity 5 engine specifically but no luck so far(I am tired so probably just missing it on my search). I wanted to just get an idea what some of the min/max specs are for most games using it.

https://madewith.unity.com/

It might not help you figure out the specs that you need, since Unity is used for a vast array of games. 

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »
Trying to find a current list of games that use the Unity 5 engine specifically but no luck so far

how about Perfect Golf                       ;)
How about you post about TGC2 on their forums ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:23:23 AM by Anthony Kyne HB »

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:37 PM »

https://madewith.unity.com/

It might not help you figure out the specs that you need, since Unity is used for a vast array of games.

Look through this list of games but as Anthony said, let's keep these threads on TGC2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_games

Dox

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 03:33:09 AM »
Thanks for the links. I found some later when I searched again on those same pages. Most were around what I have, and a few were out of my range. I guess it will all depend how much more advanced the game is resource wise compared to TGC 1.

Right now I have an Intel core 2 quad 9300 @ 2.5Ghz, 8GB ram, and a GeForce GTX 660(says 4038 MB memory on display page of Dxdiag). I run every course so far with no real issues, basically at 45 fps and sometimes dipping to 30. I did run it at 1080p but switched to 720 back when the swing issue happened with 50-60% swings.

I built this back in 2011 and a few upgrades since, but it's reached it's limits now. Probably the only thing I can salvage If I build a new one is the 750 watt power supply and the case(I hope), but really haven't looked into it with money being tight. The cheaper option would be a PS4 but the longer it takes for TGC2, the more I might see if I can build something new for this game and a few others on my wishlist.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:37:37 AM by Dox »
Completed courses:
Foxhurst Valley
Ashford Pines Golf Club

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 04:35:11 AM »
But can it run Crysis?
i will....

Dox

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 05:58:27 AM »
But can it run Crysis?
If you were asking me I am not sure. I would think I could with specs I saw for Crysis 1 and 2. If there was a demo I would have downloaded it.

Was playing most of my games on PS3 for performance, but held off on PS4 waiting for more games. Now of course there are plenty if I go that route. For the past 2 years though it's been mostly steam games. I picked up a bunch of old titles on sale, some I meant to get on PS3 and others I never knew about or PC only.

As far as games with frame rates I don't have anything current other then TGC. I did get Fallout:New Vegas,Skyrim. and State of Decay. All run fine at max settings. Did the free weekend for Arma 2 and seemed okay. DayZ was good back in the 0.51 build but the last time I tried was 0.57 and that was choppy, but I hear most are having that issue so maybe my system is still good for that.

The last big title I took a shot at was Arma 3. While I could play it, even at reduced settings I was get 20FPS with more of an average pf 17. I guess we really won't know until we get an idea on what HB says the specs might be.

I would think anyone who built in the last year should be good unless it has to be max settings with flawless performance.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:57:56 AM by Dox »
Completed courses:
Foxhurst Valley
Ashford Pines Golf Club

StormGolf73

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 11:20:22 AM »
Sounds like a lower end machine to me.  Might be time to upgrade....but I'd wait until first of 2017... Prices will be much different as you know w time.  I run Amd 8 core and gtx 780.  60 fps at 1080 res. Mostly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

StormGolf73 on PC and XB1

My Courses
TPC Four Seasons - Coming
Bay Hill Club & Lodge - RCR
Trump National Philadelphia - RCR
Southern Hills Country Club - RCR
Galveston Country Club - RCR
The DC Golf Club - Design Contest
The Wicklow Hollow Golf Club
Aster Creek Country Club
Hawktree Golf Club -RCR

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
Yeah if you wait till the end of the year or beginning of 2017 then the new cards should have the aftermarket ti's out by then, and i reckon the gtx 1070 ti would be a good choice.I think the 1080 is just too pricey and the prices won't drop on that for a while.Also the 980 ti's should drop in price by then even the 970 is a good card.Lots of options.
Lian Li 011 Dynamic Case
i9 9900k 4.5Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H150i Pro RGB(AIO)
Aorus Master Z390 m-board
16Gb Corsair Pro Vengeance RGB Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

kwake

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 01:05:15 AM »
Already looking to upgrade mobo and processer so wondering if sli support will be implemented in TGC2

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 09:07:51 PM »
Already looking to upgrade mobo and processer so wondering if sli support will be implemented in TGC2

Yeah i hope so as if they do i might just go for another 980ti for sli, From all the videos and bechmarks that iv'e seen on the new cards i'm actualy not all that blown away as i thought i would be' but that again can be down to newer hardware and not good enough drivers yet.But for the price of the 1080 it's good but not as good as i first originaly thought when i first watched the Nvidia press conference and the prices are pretty steep.The benchmarks for the 1070's have started comming out now and they looking not to bad' again they wil get bettter with newer versions of the drivers and also when they release the ti versions.
Lian Li 011 Dynamic Case
i9 9900k 4.5Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H150i Pro RGB(AIO)
Aorus Master Z390 m-board
16Gb Corsair Pro Vengeance RGB Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 12:42:45 AM »
I always go for a single card over sli, less headaches

i will....

TDuke

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 07:55:58 AM »
Hope to see a fully keyboard/mouse customization this time... (something should  have been done on day-one for TGC)

space-cash