To upgrade or not

• 28 Replies

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 08:05:52 AM »
Already looking to upgrade mobo and processer so wondering if sli support will be implemented in TGC2

It is not up top HBS to support SLI or Crossfire. It is up to the card manufacturers to develop custom profiles for the game and it is unlikely they will do so for TGC2 unless it sells more than 3-5 million copies on the PC and that likely won't happen. PC Golf is simply not attracting enough users to make it worth their while to develop these profiles.

Best bet is to get the nVidia GTX 1080 or wait for the AMD Vega chip to come out later this year which is supposed to compete with the 1080 and it's successor. AMD just released the Polaris and the 480RX at $199 hung toe to toe with the GTX 1080 when using 2 cards in Crossfire. So $400 worth of cards is going toe to toe with a $700 card and making a game of it. Another feature of DX12 that I'm learning about is that it is capable of using more than one card to render games that could spell the end of Crossfire or SLI profiles which would be great. Here's hoping TGC2 is developed using DX12....
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

stan_solo

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »
Here's hoping TGC2 is developed using DX12....

I wonder if a dev could confirm this ....

hammers1man

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »
Already looking to upgrade mobo and processer so wondering if sli support will be implemented in TGC2

It is not up top HBS to support SLI or Crossfire. It is up to the card manufacturers to develop custom profiles for the game and it is unlikely they will do so for TGC2 unless it sells more than 3-5 million copies on the PC and that likely won't happen. PC Golf is simply not attracting enough users to make it worth their while to develop these profiles.

Best bet is to get the nVidia GTX 1080 or wait for the AMD Vega chip to come out later this year which is supposed to compete with the 1080 and it's successor. AMD just released the Polaris and the 480RX at $199 hung toe to toe with the GTX 1080 when using 2 cards in Crossfire. So $400 worth of cards is going toe to toe with a $700 card and making a game of it. Another feature of DX12 that I'm learning about is that it is capable of using more than one card to render games that could spell the end of Crossfire or SLI profiles which would be great. Here's hoping TGC2 is developed using DX12....
The problem I find with sli is getting the game to start, when you finally get it running it runs really well, big improvement from a single card

filth

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 02:09:41 PM »
I do hope it's not a dx12 game as i refuse to upgrade to windows 10, and that will be me not getting TGC2.

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »
I do hope it's not a dx12 game as i refuse to upgrade to windows 10, and that will be me not getting TGC2.

You won't have a choice in the near future, IMO....not sure why you hate Windows 10 so much. Runs great here...
PC

Xbox One X

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »
Not every computer can run Windows 10. MS may have given it away free but a lot of folks aren't going to upgrade their computer for an operating system.

That's why there are tons of websites you can ask if your computer can run Windows 10.

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 06:27:52 AM »

You won't have a choice in the near future, IMO....not sure why you hate Windows 10 so much. Runs great here...

damn,  im not ready to upgrade from my titan. it doesnt support dx12, but is strong enough to run any non dx12 game out there.
i will....

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 09:47:58 AM »

damn,  im not ready to upgrade from my titan. it doesnt support dx12, but is strong enough to run any non dx12 game out there.

You should be fine for the near future as DX12 games are coming, but are coming out in a trickle so far....
PC

Xbox One X

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »
I'm one of those guys who just upgrades when the tech gets better.  This time I was really glad I did.
I'm designing a course on it now in he Highlands theme and it hasn't crashed yet even with the object meter bar almost full.
I'm running Windows 10 64 bit on an i7 6700k based PC WITH 64 GB DDR 4 RAM and a GeForce GTX 970.  Now that I've gotten used to it, I do like Windows 10 better than 7.  I tried 8, but that was horrible.
If you are looking to upgrade I would definitely go this route.  I would love to get the Titan 10 card, but out of my price range for now.  I have seen the 1080 cards coming down in price lately too.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
I just recently upgraded to win 10' i was in the camp of "hold off as long as possible" as win 7 suited me fine and i thought it was a fantastic os.But i upgraded 1st or 2nd week into july as this is the last month that it will be free.Instalation was no problem plus if you go to youtube theres load's of vids showing you how to turn off all that garbage that comes with it, call me paranoid but M$ does not give anything for free without some catches' so i used this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw  lol and this guy used to be a M$ employee..

The os is running good and i'm quite liking it' no problems with any games yet.
As to gfx cards i started this game with a GTX 560ti then moved upto GTX 760ti then GTX 970ti "getting the picture here" :D now i have the GTX 980 ti which if you look at my vids i can run realy good detail at a steady 60fps' yes it's an  expensive card but i don't just play TGC and this card runs all my games at max settings.

Now for the new generation cards i was blown away at the nvidia press conference by these new cards' price-performance' but when they where released and the testing and benchmarks started comming out, meh yes they are still great cards but not quite as great as they where made out in the press conference.Plus alot more expensive especialy here in the uk' eventualy i will probably move upto a 1080 but for me i never buy the 1st gen cards and always wait for the TI versions as they are always more powerful and they have had enough time to develop the drivers more efficiently..

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Case
i9 9900k 4.5Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H150i Pro RGB(AIO)
Aorus Master Z390 m-board
16Gb Corsair Pro Vengeance RGB Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

Thrangar

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
So maybe I can get an answer here, have they said any thing about dx12, or dx 11 or Vulcan, or open GL ? how can we make decisions for upgrades if we have no idea what they are doing?

Will not touch windows 10 for my PC,  if my grand kids buy me an xbox then Ill play dx 12   (win 10 only if I am not confused)

Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »
So maybe I can get an answer here, have they said any thing about dx12, or dx 11 or Vulcan, or open GL ? how can we make decisions for upgrades if we have no idea what they are doing?

Will not touch windows 10 for my PC,  if my grand kids buy me an xbox then Ill play dx 12   (win 10 only if I am not confused)

No they haven't yet. Not sure why you are staying away from Win 10.....have had zero issues with mine.
PC

Xbox One X

stan_solo

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »
I wonder which API they will use,  ...... read some good things about Vulkan, with impressive performance gains

also confirmed support for the Unity engine and seems to be less restrictive than Direct x12

Be nice to have a dev input on this ............

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
I wonder which API they will use,  ...... read some good things about Vulkan, with impressive performance gains

also confirmed support for the Unity engine and seems to be less restrictive than Direct x12

Be nice to have a dev input on this ............

Vulkan on AMD cards is running circles around similarly powered nVidia cards right now.....
PC

Xbox One X

space-cash