Changing some rough to fairway?

• 9 Replies

Anubus94

« on: July 01, 2016, 05:52:58 PM »
On PS4 and new to course editing and was trying to extend the fairways on one of my holes as there was rough splitting it and wanted to replace the rough with fairway.  I selected the "fairway" tool and then painted it over the rough but nothing changed.  Is there a way to change rough to fairway?

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:10:43 PM »
Chances are that patch of rough was at the water table at some point.  Use the sculpt tool, tab to a red brush and raise up that ground.  That should allow you to put fairway over it.  If you have already placed fairway over it, when you raise it, the fairway should then appear.

Anubus94

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 02:05:24 PM »
Didn't seem to work for me.  I was trying to extend the fairway into some water as the water made it impossible to clear the tee shot.  I raised the terrain above sea level and it then looked like light rough.  I then selected fairway tool and attempted to paint over the rough but nothing happened.  I made sure the selection was not intersecting any surrounding water.    When I hover over the terrain it says it's fairway but looks like light rough.  I then tried "play from here" and the lie was indeed light rough.  I was able to paint over the rough with green and then tried to change it back to fairway thinking I could work around the issue but it wouldn't let me change it to fairway.  Hovering over the green surface still said it was fairway.  Seems that when you raise water it permanently says it's "fairway" even though it's light rough or another surface you paint over.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:20:32 PM by Anubus94 »

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »
You used the Red brush?  Using the red brush, raise it higher than you think you need.  You can always lower it back down using a blue brush.

Anubus94

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 04:02:12 PM »
Tried that as well.  Still not able to change it to fairway.  It says it's "fairway" in the course designer when hovering over regardless of actual surface type.  When I do "Play from here" it uses actual surface type (green, light rough, etc) but cannot make it fairway. 

Anubus94

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »
Just tried again on different water following your advice and it works, but seems the state I got this piece of terrain into now has it broken forever   :'(.  I am only able to change the current terrain I have on that piece of land to either sand or green and cannot get it back to anything else.  Hovering over it though says it's still fairway.    What I've done is just turn that area into a giant sand trap and then placing fairway around it using your method.  Actually makes it kind of interesting  ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 04:45:25 PM by Anubus94 »

liquidsnake000

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 09:19:46 AM »
I dont ever use the red brush, the blue one works for everything.
bring on 2019 tgc.

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »
Just tried again on different water following your advice and it works, but seems the state I got this piece of terrain into now has it broken forever   :'(.  I am only able to change the current terrain I have on that piece of land to either sand or green and cannot get it back to anything else.  Hovering over it though says it's still fairway.    What I've done is just turn that area into a giant sand trap and then placing fairway around it using your method.  Actually makes it kind of interesting  ;D

I have had this happen before and when I asked, I do believe it was Keith answered pretty much what he told you. After trying what Keith said to do, I still had the problem and what I did to fix it was to go to the area delete brushes and delete around the area I was having a problem with, then I used Keith's instructions as to the red brush and then went back to blue and it worked as advertised.

Not sure if it will work 100% of the time but the area delete brush found a lot of other brushes I had lain down trying to fix it and maybe (?) there was an overload of brushes on each other the designer was confused - so to speak.

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
I'm pretty certain it is red brush issues. The way I tackle it is to find a bit of fairway close by, as you know that the red terrain on this spot must be high enough, then get the sharp round or square brush set the flatten terrain (red). Extend it out to cover the problem area and you are fixed. You could be at -200ft without knowing so raise is not reliable... flatten is

Simple way of looking at it is that any spot that has been sculpted with blue brush shows the exactly blue sculpting the red sculpting is completely hidden and could look like a mountain range if you could see it :D
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
Yeah i never use red except to flatten.

space-cash