Bridges

• 12 Replies

rangermarkus

« on: July 13, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
make bridges expandable like trees size with a push of a button instead of having to add pieces together over and over to make them longer.

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
The problem with that is scaling out the bridges will start to look weird with giant rocks or wooden planks in the bridge if we did it the same way that the trees can be expanded.  Also the tree's expand uniformly, in all three axis at the same time, if we did that for bridges you'd see a giant square bridge.

I do have the ability to snap bridge pieces together added in TGC2 now though so laying out a new bridge will be much, much faster.

rdh

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:03:19 AM »
Very cool tidbit for TGC2 Paul!  I assume you have the down-scaling of trees etc. in TGC2 as well?  Has there been any more discussion around one last update for TGC to add that capability?

Will the snap functionality work for retaining walls or other objects as well?

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »
Very cool tidbit for TGC2 Paul!  I assume you have the down-scaling of trees etc. in TGC2 as well?  Has there been any more discussion around one last update for TGC to add that capability?

Will the snap functionality work for retaining walls or other objects as well?

no update on a possible TGC1 update. 

Down-scaling of trees is going in soon.  I think one of our designers was looking at scaling limits for objects and we'll set the scaling at the same time. 

Snapping is in for all walls as well and it'll be there for the stairs as soon as someone sets up the snap points on those objects.  I need to do some work on how we render those objects though to get all of the other functionality in there but it should be done in the next week or so.

rdh

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:14:47 AM »
Sounds good!  Will the snapping only work if you're laying the objects in a straight line, or can they snap together and still have the ability to rotate them after?  (Thinking of retaining walls around an island green).

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »
The problem with that is scaling out the bridges will start to look weird with giant rocks or wooden planks in the bridge if we did it the same way that the trees can be expanded.  Also the tree's expand uniformly, in all three axis at the same time, if we did that for bridges you'd see a giant square bridge.

I do have the ability to snap bridge pieces together added in TGC2 now though so laying out a new bridge will be much, much faster.

Does that mean what I think it means?  retaining walls snap together? :)

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »
Sounds good!  Will the snapping only work if you're laying the objects in a straight line, or can they snap together and still have the ability to rotate them after?  (Thinking of retaining walls around an island green).

The snapping just changes the position right now, it will line up the ends of the walls, so you'll still be able to rotate them.  I'm planning to add angle snapping as well so you can easily make a big straight line of walls or bridges, I just need to sort out an easy way to turn that on and off. 

guitardude_324

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:47:50 AM »
Paul,

Is it going to be possible to tilt objects like walls and retaining walls.  Sometimes if the terrain is going downhill, I'd like the wall to also be going downhill without seeing a staircase effect.  And you can really open up more possibilities if you're able to adjust height of retaining walls and how they slope.  You may not even have to adjust them, but having extra pieces of retaining wall that vary in height and slope.

Like the right side of this picture.

Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »
Paul,

Is it going to be possible to tilt objects like walls and retaining walls.  Sometimes if the terrain is going downhill, I'd like the wall to also be going downhill without seeing a staircase effect.  And you can really open up more possibilities if you're able to adjust height of retaining walls and how they slope.  You may not even have to adjust them, but having extra pieces of retaining wall that vary in height and slope.

Thats all in the plan yep.  It needs some extra work in the code for the walls but I'm hoping to start in on that next week. 

I'd like to get some different retaining walls, both in look and heights but thats all in Jims side.  He and the art team create the assets that are in the game.

guitardude_324

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »
Great to hear Paul,  thank you.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 01:43:33 PM »
Paul,

Thats all in the plan yep.  It needs some extra work in the code for the walls but I'm hoping to start in on that next week. 

I'd like to get some different retaining walls, both in look and heights but thats all in Jims side.  He and the art team create the assets that are in the game.

All I hear is the shackles being taken off designers creativity... love it :D
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

rdh

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
Wanted to thank you Paul for all the comments today.  It's like they keep you guys caged up working for a while, then they let you out for a day and we get these great bits of info.  :)

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 11:02:58 AM »
you xbox ppl hiding all the good threads ......i see whats going on here.

btw, good stuff paul, thanks for the link.
i will....

space-cash