Wolf Creek Golf Course Mesquite, NV

• 31 Replies

callmeminer

« on: August 06, 2016, 05:36:09 PM »
FINAL EDIT:
I have lost interest in this creation. Although it pains me to do this, I have decided that I will no longer work on this course. I may return to this in TGC2, but I will not put any more work into wolf creek on TGC1. I have finished every hole except for hole 18, and the only thing left to do is really the gardening and final slope tweaks. If anyone would like to finish the course, I can send you the course file and all the sources I have used throughout the process of editing. I have also uploaded my final edit, it is called "wlf crek final edit" Once TGC2 comes out, I'll be back creating some new courses, but until then have fun everyone, and keep up your great course creations!
-Miner

Alright, so this is my first post here to forums, and also my first attempt at creating a course from real life. I have played around with GNCD for about 150 hours or so now I understand pretty much everything there is to know about it. I recently played wolf creek (June 4th) and it was a damn fun course. The ridiculous amounts of slope to it is the real challenge, along with multi-leveled water. I have uploaded 5 holes of the course (Holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 9) with the name of wlf crek (spelled that way). If anyone has played this course before I would greatly appreciate it if you would give this a go to see what needs changing. Below are some screenshots taken from the course.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OJ7B7

EDIT 1: All greens on the front 9 are fully complete. The front nine is almost complete just hole 6, 7, and 8 need slope adjustments. Will continue to work on this and the full front nine should be complete in about a week. Finishing the course will be a challenge with school and will probably take until October to be complete. School takes priority!

EDIT 2: I've got the back nine traced out, now into the hard work of sculpting. All of the hole lengths are true to the scorecard now. Front nine is fully complete in terms of play, but cosmetic work still needs to be done on the outside of the course. I've now published the newest version as of August, 14, 2016.

EDIT 3: Hole 6 is a par 7 in the newest version... Was wondering why it was par 75 haha.

EDIT 4: Changed grass and sand texture; holes 11 and 13 are fully functional now and updated newest version wlf crek august 16 update

EDIT 5: Updated august 19 hole 10 complete and some minor slope changes to the course

EDIT 6: Removed hole 14, 15, and 16 for length errors, done with hole 12 and now I've almost completed hole 14. I'll update the course again when I finish hole 15  and then will publish the full course beta. I still haven't placed any plants and won't do so until the course is complete.

EDIT  7: updated august 21 "wlf crek august 21 1-15" I forgot the fringe on hole 11. oops.

EDIT 8: updated september 1 "wlf crek september 1" with hole 16 added. I am really struggling to find time to finish every hole. At this point I am going to completely redo the greens on holes 3, 7, and 11 and will modify the greens heavily on holes 8 and 15. I've also added a competetion with no green grids to check slopes on the greens. If you want to play that it is wlf crek in the competition menu

EDIT 9: I'm still working on it, just really have lost motivation ): I changed the greens so thats good. Its coming along, but don't expect much soon. I just had my calc test today so I can work a bit more on this. I also added some rocks on hole 1 and those look pretty sick :D. My main problem is whenever I open the course editor I keep on playing it cause it's too fun! Editing it is much less interesting thna playing it so I never get much done! Expect a completion date before 2017.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:47:03 PM by callmeminer »

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Looks cool,  this is one of my faves from Tiger Woods..   Will play soon!
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

TeeJay0218

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
Will definitely give it a play when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PGA Tour Founder/President
Playstation 4's Premier Sim Society!
Play the way the pros do, green grids and scout cam off.

TeeJay0218

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 06:01:20 PM »
Edit: wow checked out the link and saw your images. Now I really can't wait to play it. WC is one of my favorite courses, glad to see someone else take it on. Looks very photorealistic

rdh

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
Very excited for this one!  Will try to check out the beta.  Hopefully you'll keep in mind a shorter simulator version (6400-ish yard range) as it would be a blast to play a good version of wolf creek on the simulator!

callmeminer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 12:17:30 PM »
Yes I will be adding shorter versions for all the tee boxes.

TeeJay0218

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
Hey Miner. Beta was great and very realistic. Shot 5 under my first time and 6 over the second lol. Can't wait until it's finished.. If possible put some Out of Bounds behind the first par 3. If you hit it over the hill it's almost impossible to get it back up there

callmeminer

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 03:05:02 AM »
I've added OB there and reworked the hill. The problem is that the water on holes 5,6,7 is 100ft higher than the water on hole 1. I wanted the course to have all in of the holes in their realistic position so there are some big cliffs on holes 3 and 4. The back of holes 3 and 4 as such are cliffs so I think I will end up putting OB on the boxes of hole 5 and 7. As long as people don't top their drive that should be fine  ::)

Jivesinator

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 03:40:48 PM »
As soon as I saw that someone had been making an RCR of Wolf Creek, I immediately came here. For the multilevel water, I want to say that TGC 2 will have that available, but if you can make Wolf Creek in the original game, I (and hopefully many others) will be very impressed. Hope you do well with this, I would love to play this course in its entirety on TGC.

Edit: Played both, noticed a few things. I'm not sure of this, but I think a few of the elevations from the tee are different (unless you're just using different tee boxes). I'll check with the Wolf Creek of Rory McIlroy. Other than the sloping of the 6th green and the background having no mountains (I assume you're doing those last), it's pretty good. I especially liked 1, 5, 7 and 8, those were nearly spot on.

(I also liked 3 for realism, but I hate 3 from a playing standpoint with a burning passion.)

Edit 2: All 18 holes from the furthest tee boxes, according to Rory McIlroy game (Most are estimates, give or take about 5 feet)

1: 575 yds -50 ft
2: 445 yds -100 ft
3: 240 yds +93 ft
4: 400 yds +30 ft
5: 520 yds -35 ft
6: 415 yds -90 ft
7: 310 yds -50 ft
8: 250 yds -86 ft
9: 380 yds -10 ft
10: 455 yds +45 ft
11: 215 yds -82 ft
12: 570 yds -95 ft
13: 350 yds (310 to green) -5 ft
14: 470 yds -130 ft
15: 130 yds -45 ft
16: 420 yds -70 ft
17: 555 yds -170 ft
18: 310 yds +15 ft

I seriously can't wait to play this, good luck with it. Hope I helped.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:30:20 PM by Jivesinator »
Stupid is as stupid does. I does stupid. I is stupid.

callmeminer

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
Thanks for the elevations! I was using google earth for elevations but those don't work to well on wolf creek because of how sloped the course is. I fixed hole 6's green as for sure it was waaaaay to much of a hill. That's what happens when you use google earth for elevation  :P. I also hate hole 3, in the hundreds of times I've played that hole I have never birdied it... Right now I am encountering a problem of slightly running out of space in the course creator... Hole 14 tees are outside of the buildable area so I will need to shift the back 9 a bit. Thanks for the info!

Jivesinator

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
I gotta say, you did a very good job with just Google Earth, as most of your versions were less than 10 feet away. This is probably one of the toughest RCR's to do, especially with the sculpting and the multi-levelled water.

P.S. On my playthrough of the course in Rory, I got birdie on 3, but both of my playthroughs of your course got me bogeys.

rdh

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 01:35:26 PM »
Just trying this now and it looks really good so far.  My one request would be to flip the textures to have a more lush green appearance for the fairways/green/rough.  When I Google images of Wolf Creek, most of them are very lush looking...like the attached pic.

rdh

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 01:39:28 PM »
Not trying to be nitpicky here...just trying to help you produce something that shows the obvious effort behind i'd.  I'd suggest seeing if you can smooth out some of the jagged areas a bit.  I attached one screenshot to show what i'm referring to.  This isn't anything major though...this course is impressive to look at!

Jivesinator

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
Not trying to be nitpicky here...just trying to help you produce something that shows the obvious effort behind i'd.  I'd suggest seeing if you can smooth out some of the jagged areas a bit.  I attached one screenshot to show what i'm referring to.  This isn't anything major though...this course is impressive to look at!

that's something that always happens to me when sculpting, esp. around bunkers, and i think it's because of the extreme elevation change in that short amount of space. unfortunately, unless someone knows a fix for that, it's all up to TGC's engine and miner may not be able to do anything about it.

Royce

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
I had the exact same issues on my Oakland Hills design, any time bunkers are "too close" to the green it gets all jaggy looking.  I ended up backing a few bunkers away a bit to try to smooth some of the rough, ugly looking edges but that produced minimal success.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

space-cash