Jules Haven -- The Wilderness Course

• 9 Replies

Tuco

« on: August 31, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
Jules Haven -- The Wilderness Course

I should probably not mention that it's my first course, cuz it will probably cause some folks to simply take a pass on it.  But what the hell.  I will say that I have been working on it since acquiring the game in March of this year, so there are a ton of hours in on it.  The name makes more sense if you know that there is a companion course currently under construction: "Jules Haven -- The Club Course".

My goal from the beginning was to have a course that was heavily wooded, and eventually I wanted it to look as though it was carved out of the wilderness.  I'll leave it to you to decide if I've accomplished that.  It utilizes the Boreal theme, so I picture it as being somewhere in the wilds of British Columbia.

Some might complain that they don't like shadows on their greens, but I see it as just another challenge.  I understand that it's tougher to suss the break on a computer screen than in real life, but when test-playing, I haven't kicked myself for it.  So I guess what I'm saying is that I stand by my design.  (There aren't too many of them.)

I am anxious to hear all criticisms both brutal and mild.  I'll probably be crushed by the former, but thoughtful and buoyed by the latter.  I hope you at least find a few holes that intrigue and challenge.

Jay

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:19:08 PM by Tuco »
The Golf Club 2019:

Jules Haven Wilderness Golf
The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

The Links at Dakota Bay

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:22:18 PM »
Looks pretty good - keep an eye on scale

The little downhill island green - the green looks smaller than the bridge... you can help that by using a smaller bridge type of object and making the green a bit larger.

the measuring tools can really help on green sizes.
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Tuco

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:34:25 PM »
I had tried a few different bridges there, but kept coming back to this one, simply because I liked the look.  But you are quite right about the scale.  It is wrong for that situation. 

I appreciate the feedback.
The Golf Club 2019:

The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

The Links at Dakota Bay

Ramjet36

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 08:38:57 PM »
That same green also looks a little lonely to me.  I would plant at least one bunker of some type by it.  Perhaps a pot bunker to add some additional danger.

I like the look of the massed yellow flowers placed here and there.
Courses created:   PS4  ID:  RAMJET-36
Peppers Point
Lamp Lighter Harbor

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »
The course does look outstanding sculpting wise, and the overcrowding theme is consistent throughout. The fairways are designed very well so that the golfer struggles to hit every one in regulation. I like how the elevation changes aren't small, but at the same time aren't unrealistically large either. I also liked the planting.

I had a lot of problems when I went to play the course. Many greens are undersized and nearly impossible to stick. I will reference the hole 8 green where there is a giant hill in the middle of the green where the pin is on top of the hill. This is the most common sculpting mistake people make where the pin location is too close to the hill and it comes down to luck to keep the ball on the high plateau. I played a round with the ghosts of my friends (we all are pretty good at this game) and only one of us scored under par while the other three struggled with the hill.

My second problem is the sight lines of the course, which were commonly blocked by trees crowding the fairways and such. I understand that this is the theme of the course, but that doesn't mean the fairways can't be a bit wider and push back the trees. You can still get that overcrowded look with good sightlines. Or, if you want the sight lines to be a factor, have it only affect the players who have hit a bad tee shot and are in a bad area already instead of the players that actually hit a good shot. With that being said, you did do a good job with designing risk/reward opportunities for the golfers, and had them think in terms of their strategy.

Lastly, I would've loved to have seen hazards on this course. There were many places where it looked like you had sculpted the area for a bunker but there wasn't any, like the 4 pits on the hole 1 fairway as an example. I also would've loved to have seen more water on the F9. But maybe you had a lot on the B9 (I didn't get to it I was tired).

By no means is this a terrible course. It honestly takes effort to make a terrible course. I hope this gives you stuff to work on for your next courses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Tuco

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »
@XGN, many, many thanks for taking the time to give me your impressions and suggestions. 

My first thought in response is that as the designer and play-tester, I don't have any kind of perspective of the first-time player.  As the course design has taken many months, most of these holes have been play-tested probably close to a hundred times.  As a result, I am intimately aware of exactly where the best shots are, but have lost the sense of how dangerous some areas can be.

Yes, the green on #8 is a pain.  I'm going to guess that I've bogied that hole more often than not.  The most success that I've had is keeping the ball left of the hole on the approach.  Even then, any putt longer than 5 feet makes me pucker.  I did think long and hard about that mid-green hill.  There were similar slopes on other greens, but I ameliorated all but this one.  My final decision to leave it was motivated by a) the greens are set to a medium speed, b) having experienced similar pin placements on other courses -- most notably on courses by CrazyCanuck -- I knew I wasn't making a poor decision, and c) I was trying to make a course that wouldn't be too easy.  But I will take your thoughts into consideration should the course be revised for TGC2.  There are other ways to make a birdie putt difficult.

As to sand, I made a choice right in the beginning that as a wilderness course, it would not be unusual to not have sand shipped in.  Instead, I chose to go with the deep grass bunkers which dot the course. 

There are two more ponds/lakes on the B9.

I will take your thoughts about sight lines into consideration should the course ever be modified.  I know that the fairways are tight, and with a stiff wind, shot making can be quite difficult.  On a couple of occasions in maximum wind, I've had to resort to the punch shot just to get better position.

There are a couple more water features on the B9.  I hope that you will consider giving the course a complete play at some point.

Again, thanks for your time.   :)
The Golf Club 2019:

The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

The Links at Dakota Bay

Tuco

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
That same green also looks a little lonely to me.  I would plant at least one bunker of some type by it.  Perhaps a pot bunker to add some additional danger.

I like the look of the massed yellow flowers placed here and there.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.  I actually had thought about that before the birch tree was added.  But you are right, there should be more.  It looks "unfinished".  Damn shame too, cuz it should be the most fetching hole, eye-candy wise.  Should the course ever get re-published, I will be sure to make this update.
The Golf Club 2019:

The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

The Links at Dakota Bay

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »
@XGN, many, many thanks for taking the time to give me your impressions and suggestions. 

My first thought in response is that as the designer and play-tester, I don't have any kind of perspective of the first-time player.  As the course design has taken many months, most of these holes have been play-tested probably close to a hundred times.  As a result, I am intimately aware of exactly where the best shots are, but have lost the sense of how dangerous some areas can be.

Yes, the green on #8 is a pain.  I'm going to guess that I've bogied that hole more often than not.  The most success that I've had is keeping the ball left of the hole on the approach.  Even then, any putt longer than 5 feet makes me pucker.  I did think long and hard about that mid-green hill.  There were similar slopes on other greens, but I ameliorated all but this one.  My final decision to leave it was motivated by a) the greens are set to a medium speed, b) having experienced similar pin placements on other courses -- most notably on courses by CrazyCanuck -- I knew I wasn't making a poor decision, and c) I was trying to make a course that wouldn't be too easy.  But I will take your thoughts into consideration should the course be revised for TGC2.  There are other ways to make a birdie putt difficult.

As to sand, I made a choice right in the beginning that as a wilderness course, it would not be unusual to not have sand shipped in.  Instead, I chose to go with the deep grass bunkers which dot the course. 

There are two more ponds/lakes on the B9.

I will take your thoughts about sight lines into consideration should the course ever be modified.  I know that the fairways are tight, and with a stiff wind, shot making can be quite difficult.  On a couple of occasions in maximum wind, I've had to resort to the punch shot just to get better position.

There are a couple more water features on the B9.  I hope that you will consider giving the course a complete play at some point.

Again, thanks for your time.   :)
If this is your first go at a legit course, you definitely are on the right track to getting everything sorted out. For a first go, this is impressive. The fact that top designers make hills like the one on hole 8 doesn't mean that people will like it. They add them for difficulty. In the future, if you do a green like that, just have the pin somewhere else. There is nothing wrong with the hill itself, just that the pin is where the break towards the hill starts.

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
I really liked the idea of using grass bunkers on this course...that one green and scaling..nice job...

Tuco

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 10:43:50 PM »
@karma4u, thanks very much . . . and thanks for posting some additional screen grabs.   :)
The Golf Club 2019:

The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

The Links at Dakota Bay

space-cash