Mouse Play!

• 5 Replies

Didi Draxler

« on: August 18, 2016, 07:26:53 AM »
Hi Folks!

Playing TGC for a long while now.
The biggest problem i think, is the disadantage putting the ball with the mouse,
than putting with a gamepad.
I think, to be realistic at the gameplay (difference between GP and mouse) it
is absolutely important to make putting with a gamepad much more difficult.
When you look at the TGC-Tours, the most players in front are players who play with
XBox, or Playstation... and with a gamepad.

So what do coursedesigner to make the gameplay more difficult.
They design unrealistic difficult courses.
It is not normal to finish a round with 15-18 under PAR.
And some guys hit balls, which a real Golfer never would do.

So my wish for TGC2 is, make even the Gameplay for gamepad-Player more difficult
and let the courses be realistic.

Sepparate the Gamepad Tours from Mouse-Play Tours.
Give the Gamepad Player a bigger Handicap at putting and hitting.
And make the Green-LED`s running more realistic

that are the wishes of a fanatic "PC-Mouse"-TGC Player

Greets from Austria
Didi

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »
Long time mouse/keyboard golf player and I find putting with the mouse easier than a controller because that is the equipment I have always used.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
Putting is still one dayone level and imo the poorest shot to be played with a mouse. The factors that would convert putting from purely mathmatical process to an intuitive movement are:
  • Make it intuitive by connecting input device and putter movement directly; no rubberband.
  • Make the putting power depend on the input devices speed at impact only; not just the backswing.
  • Remove (or at least optionize) the yellow marker the preselect power; no preselection of power.
The way it is currently (specialy with the mouse), the putting only depends on the quality of your shot preparation (math, alinement and backswing) and removes any intuition (the one and only power criteria irl) is taken out of the shot, as putting releases at the sligthes forward movement of the mouse with the preselected power (marker and backswing). But this all is a well known issue and has been discussed many many times.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:53:28 AM »
Best way to get distance control in putting is to define the target and then strive for good tempo and to let the subconscious do its thing. Humans are predators - we are exceptional at hitting targets and spatial tasks in general as long as the task (target) is clearly defined to our brain. IF we get out of our own way and disconnect all those rational layers of brain evolution has cursed us with.

Now - in a game on a screen that spatial thing does not really work well (VR may solve it). I think HBs implementation with aim marker (define target) and rubber-band is a really good implementation.

What does suck however is how easy it is to hit the putt straight and that the swing does not take tempo into consideration. It's really bad that it's possible to inch back and stop forever at any position in the mouse swing.

PinHi

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
I for one play with my standard mouse that I use for everything at my computer. I like how it works as I putt about the same in real life - sometimes I am on a roll and at other times - not so good. Don`t know anything about controllers or game pad  (never even heard of one until I started reading on forums) so have no idea if they are better or worse. If anyone thinks the mouse is easier - well you just mosey on over to my house and play on my setup and I believe you will change your mind. Soooo I sure hope mouse is left alone -sure makes it more realistic for me.   :)

Didi Draxler

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 01:48:50 AM »
Hi Folks!

The problem is, that course are made that difficult, because it is much more easier to do a putt with a gamepad.
It doesn`t matter which game at sports we play, the ambition always is... to win (almost always  8) )!
But if you lose, because of an imbalance between the different shot variations (Gamepad vs. mouse),
then the time comes you stop playing, because there is no fun anymore.

I hope, i explained my thought in a right way (Austrian way of English  ;D )

Still to say, TGC is the best Golf-Simulation at the moment.
TGC with way of playing of Links2003 would be the best ever!!!

Greets from Austria
Didi

space-cash