Hardware news

• 224 Replies

stan_solo

« on: September 21, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
***********************************************************************************************
Decided to start a thread about the latest in development of the hardware that run these games
I like to stay in the loop as I'm saving for a rig and like an insight into the components that I may purchase in the coming months
May be of interest to one or two on here and will be posting articles for all current platforms
***********************************************************************************************

stan_solo

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
AMD : Zen Processor

******************************************************************************************
Seemingly not wanting Intel to run away with it in the CPU market this year, AMD has hosted a press conference to show off its upcoming Zen processors. While they’re still not going to be launching until early 2017, AMD took the opportunity to launch an all-out attack on the high-end market, detailing the first retail Zen processors along with a commitment to manufacturing high-performance GPUs.

Zen has created using the 14nm FinFET fabrication process, much like Polaris, offering great “performance, throughput and efficiency”. Like-for-like, AMD has improved performance 40% over the previous Excavator architecture, while offering roughly five times more cache bandwidth. It also marks the first time AMD has implemented Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT), which is its own version of Intel’s HyperThreading. This allows Zen cores to work on more tasks simultaneously, and it means no more shared cores with clustered multithreading like we see with its current processors.
In terms of the specifics, for the first Summit Ridge Zen CPU we’re looking at a total of eight cores, while SMT allows up to 16 threads. Like all Zen CPUs it’ll be running on the AM4 socket, meaning you’ll need a new motherboard to go with it. It’ll support all the usual gubbins like DDR4 and PCI Express 3.0.
It’s certainly shaping up to be a fascinating time for AMD, perhaps even make or break. "We have to be faster, we have to be more agile, we have to be more creative, because we're the smallest player," said AMD CTO Mark Papermaster, referring to both Intel and Nvidia’s dominance of the CPU and GPU markets respectively.

********************************************************************************************

stan_solo

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
XB 'Scorpio' :   PS Pro  :

******************************************************************************************************************
Shannon Loftis, General Manager Publishing for Microsoft Studios has confirmed that games released during the launch period of Project Scorpio will run at native 4K resolution, rather than the upscaled 4K on the PS4 Pro.

Project Scorpio is the codenamed hardware refresh that will be happening to the XBox One at some point in late 2017. The aim for the XBone is to make it "the most powerful console ever". The hardware is meant to support 4K gaming and VR. We are already aware that in terms of raw processing power, the Scorpio significantly outclasses the PS4 Pro, which has 4.2 TFLOPs of performance to Microsoft's 6 TFLOPs. Scorpio will also support Mods and it will also have backwards compatibility.

Loftis said in an interview to USA Today, "Any games we're making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K." They will most likely be giving a facelift to Gears of War 4 when the new console launches, but this is only a speculation. The only game from Microsoft Studios running on 4K could be Forza Motorsport 7 along with a few others.

*****************************************************************************************************************

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
I just built a new rig a few months ago and it runs TGC flawlessly.  New gen i7 6700k Skylake CPU, Asus Maximus VIII Mobo.  64 GB Cosair Vengeance DDR 4 RAM, GeForce GTX 970 GPU, and a 480 GB OCZ SSD Hard drive running Windows 10.  I can max out the object bar in the course creator and it runs the game smooth as butter.
I highly recommend this set up.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
Project Scorpio is definitely on my radar.

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »

Ditto.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
I just looked this up....DAMN !!!  That's going to be on powerful beast.  Too bad it's over a year out.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Gasman

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 02:44:58 AM »

Ditto.

I was definitely going to buy into the Scorpio myself but it seems only 1st party games are going to benefit initially.(mostly 'meh' titles with the exception of forza)
Also need detail on the HDR compatibility to know what TV to buy,I'm hoping it's the same as Sonys PS4 Pro.
The big negative for both of these new consoles is that game studios are already struggling to make quality games & their job would appear to be going to get a lot more complicated.

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:07:42 AM »
Probably going to cost more than a decent computer...oh wait, sounds like a computer in a box....should be interesting to see.

Update: Can't reply so I add this here.

https://gamerant.com/microsoft-xbox-scorpio-ps4-pro-price-857/

Xbox exec Albert Penello discusses Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Pro, insinuating that Microsoft’s upgraded console could launch at a similar price as Sony’s new system.

Hmmm, all that it might be for $399.00 or less?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:13:58 AM by Dusty Roads »

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »
Probably going to cost more than a decent computer...oh wait, sounds like a computer in a box....should be interesting to see.

If it is more than $499, they have screwed the pooch.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

stan_solo

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 09:53:48 AM »
INTEL : Kaby Lake processor

******************************************************************************************
It’s not due to hit store shelves for a couple of months, but already Intel’s next flagship CPU has been listed by an online store. Based on the 7th gen Kaby Lake architecture, the Intel Core i7-7700K will be the fastest member of the Kaby Lake family, delivering performance in excess of the Core i7-6700K.

Intel is sticking with the 14nm architecture for Kaby Lake, as we knew already, but optimisations to the architecture allows for 12% like-for-like performance improvements over the previous Skylake chips.

According to Estonian store Faunder, the Intel Core i7-7700K is a quad-core, 8-thread, CPU allegedly clocked at 4.2 GHz with a boost clock of 4.5 GHz. It features 8MB L3 cache and draws on 95W TDP. The store lists the price as €360.35, which is equivalent to just over $400. This is right in the ballpark of the price we were expecting for Intel’s next mainstream high-end chip.

In addition to this we’ll also be getting an Intel Core i5-7600K when the first desktop Kaby Lake chips begin appearing late this year or early 2017. This one’s also quad-core but it lacks the HyperThreading support of the i7-7700K. It’s clocked at 3.8 GHz with a boost clock of 4.0 GHz. The 7600K comes with 6MB L3 cache and a 95W TDP. We’ve got no pricing for this one, although I’d expect it be in the region of $250.

There’s nothing here to suggest either of these are must have upgrades, particularly for those already sporting 14nm processors, but they’re a small bump up in the right direction. The only reason to rush out and buy these is if you’re beginning to struggle with an older Intel CPU, around a 2500K or below.

stan_solo

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »
XB 'scorpio' : VR gaming

*******************************************************************************************************
4K Gaming on PCs would most likely get more mainstream around the time Scorpio launches, considering the launch a new series of GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia. It would also depend on Scorpio's pricing to judge whether it is an attractive buy or not.

The Project Scorpio Xbox revamp is expected to launch at the usual console price point, although this has not been confirmed yet. With VR gaming possible on Project Scorpio, MS is expecting this will boost the VR developer market into action to make VR games for the Xbox Scorpio. The subtext there should remind us that VR isnt really something to consider for at least another few years yet. If you also factor in the time it takes developers to create a game for that kind of platform after the release of Project Scorpio. At the moment it feels like the constant VR fanfare, is mainly just hype from companies that have invested millions into this new tech succeeding. What regular Jo can afford $800 extra for a peripheral with no games associated with it?

********************************************************************************************************

stan_solo

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
PS4 : (S) Slim

The first thing to be clear about is that this is not the PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro is a significant upgrade in power from the PlayStation 4, but that’s not released until November. By comparison the Slim is more or less the same as the original PlayStation 4, just in a smaller chassis.
Sony don’t actually refer to it as the PS4 Slim (as far as they’re concerned it’s just the standard model now) but unlike the PS4 Pro it’s a perfectly normal part of any console’s life cycle, where a new model is released that’s smaller, (sometimes) cheaper, and adds a few new features.
Microsoft’s equivalent, the Xbox One S, was actually a little more substantial in that respect, but the PS4 Slim does have a number of minor improvements that make it superior to the original version. There’s no change to anything under the hood though, so in terms of graphical power and how it runs games this is exactly the same console as already exists.
Unlike the Xbox One S the PS4 Slim doesn’t support any kind of 4K media playback, either Blu-rays or video streaming. (The PS4 Pro will have 4K streaming, but controversially it won’t run UHD Blu-rays.)

stan_solo

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »
PS4  : Pro

According to the boss of PlayStation it was gaming PCs which inspired the PS4 Pro, not Microsoft’s Project Scorpio.
The power of the PC was apparently the driving force behind the recently announced PS4 Pro, according to a new interview with PlayStation boss Andrew House.
‘I saw some data that really influenced me,’ said House in an interview with The Guardian. ‘It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had.’
‘We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.’

space-cash