Short game a nightmare???

• 15 Replies

BusDriver555

• The Nike BOB (Black One Black)
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Hey fellas... 

I am a long-time Tiger and Rory series guy.  Since '99.  I was fed up waiting for content there, so I finally got TGC.  My buddy and I made the move at the same time, mid-December.

We BOTH are really struggling with putting, chips, pitches, etc.  Even at the Normal settings.  Do you guys have any tips to share?  I have watched tutorial videos, the sticky on How to Putt, etc.  My putting has gotten a bit better, but some of this is silly.  Chips routinely don't go anywhere or roll all the way across the green and into the fringe on the other side.  Pitches and flops, when not 100% distance, are a nightmare too.  We are both experiencing this.  We'll be green-side in regulation or GIR, then lose 5 shots going back and forth.  The programming here seems silly with the short game.  Especially putting.  I cannot believe they programmed the short game like this with distance control so challenging.  We just guess so much.

Any tips on putting?
Any tips for chipping?
Any tips for pitches?

As in, do you always do something?  Raise loft?  What?

For TGC2 to be successful, it would seem this stuff needs to be better.  More like the Rory series, IMO.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM by BusDriver555 »
Creator of:
* Napa Valley Club & Lodge
* The Medalist Club Lake Tahoe

FRSTDWN

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
Once you get a hang of it the short game is actually way better than tiger woods (long time fan). With the chips and pitches most guys loft or de loft for distance control. I like to use the swing to control distance like real life but with the pitches it is hard to get right. The chipping is pretty easy once you get a hang of it. Most guys will loft the chipping as well to control distance. You just have to remember what lofts get you what distances. Then you have consider the greens speeds like real life. The biggest black eye is the flop shot which is way to easy. There are guys like me who will not use it unless it is a realistic option. Like being short sided or in the bunker. T

The putting is probably the best I have ever seen in a golf game. Just takes time to learn it. I go by all feel myself and love it. Some of us play with no green grids and then it even gets better. Takes a while to learn with no grids but once you do it is awesome.

TGC 2 will have a lot of updates I am sure. I know for one thing they are going to address the flop shot.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

BusDriver555

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
Thanks.  I have always been the guy that goes for hard settings after a short while.  I usually am one that says to make it all harder.  We both (my buddy and I) still duff chips, knock them way too far, back and forth, back and forth, putt too short, too hard.  Then end up with an 8 on a hole.  Frustrating.  We have played like 50 rounds and have only gotten somewhat better.

I will keep at it.  I just have not really gotten the hang of this by now and I am surprised.  I could see a casual player just throwing the game out because of this.  My kids would have given up, for sure.  But I am a golf nut and will stay at it.
Creator of:

FRSTDWN

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:28:41 PM »
Yea man it is just a time thing. When I first got game I took all the aids off and shot like 90 something lol. Over time I got way better and average around even par on the harder courses. Like real golf I tend to blow up on a hole or two and it kills me.

If you do like more sim golf there is a league for that once you get comfortable with the game.

Here is the links

http://www.tgctours.com/

http://tgctours.proboards.com/board/48/true-sim-tour

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

JerryN220

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:03:24 PM »
Here's a link to TGC Tour Doyley's tips on approach, chipping & putting.

http://bit.ly/2iFis2k

On this page you'll see TGCT Tips & Tricks click on it and it's a chart of club distances and lofts.
Hope this help's you.

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
Once you get a hang of it the short game is actually way better than tiger woods (long time fan). With the chips and pitches most guys loft or de loft for distance control. I like to use the swing to control distance like real life but with the pitches it is hard to get right. The chipping is pretty easy once you get a hang of it. Most guys will loft the chipping as well to control distance. You just have to remember what lofts get you what distances. Then you have consider the greens speeds like real life. The biggest black eye is the flop shot which is way to easy. There are guys like me who will not use it unless it is a realistic option. Like being short sided or in the bunker. T

The putting is probably the best I have ever seen in a golf game. Just takes time to learn it. I go by all feel myself and love it. Some of us play with no green grids and then it even gets better. Takes a while to learn with no grids but once you do it is awesome.

TGC 2 will have a lot of updates I am sure. I know for one thing they are going to address the flop shot.

I would agree if the ball did not come off the putter head incorrectly when on sidehill lies. The ball comes off at a far greater angle than it should. Other than that, it is pretty good.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

FRSTDWN

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »
Agree with that but still better then tiger. Also with no grids I think it is harder to see when that happens. But certainly have seen it. Just something about the putting that makes me feel like am on the course. I love putting irl. Always been pretty good. Just have the eye. Of course it comes and goes.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »
Agree with that but still better then tiger. Also with no grids I think it is harder to see when that happens. But certainly have seen it. Just something about the putting that makes me feel like am on the course. I love putting irl. Always been pretty good. Just have the eye. Of course it comes and goes.

Opinions vary....

Grids or no grids I have seen it pretty consistently.
PC

Xbox One X

FRSTDWN

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
I'm sure you have. Honestly Tim I do tend to play later at night. and the jack might help me not notice as much. Tiger I played with no grids for a long time but it did seem the cup would suck the ball in . Never seem that on this game. That always annoyed me with tiger / Rory
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:56:21 PM by FRSTDWN »

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »
I'm sure you have. Honestly Tim I do tend to play later at night. and the jack might help me not notice as much. Tiger I played with no grids for a long time but it did seem the cup would suck the ball in . Never seem that on this game. That always annoyed me with tiger / Rory

Cup physics in TGC are outstanding.
PC

Xbox One X

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »

[/quote]

Cup physics in TGC are outstanding.
[/quote]

Very true but since the texture update ball sometimes does right over the hole now.

TheHack

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
Hey Bus and bud welcome to TGC!

Are you using a Mouse or Controller for gameplay.. ?

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
Hey Bus Welcome :-) One tip i always give for new players on puttin' is to go into the GNCD "course designer" Now you don't realy need to know much about it.All you need to do is lay a few holes down with greens overlapping each other so you have a couple or a few different holes to go for.

Typicaly i would make one hole flat and use this just for getting you're distance with the putter, You can keep retaking the shot as a sort of mulligan and then when comfortable with you're distance control (you can also place the ball wherever you want on the green) Move to a differnt hole this time make some small breaks left-right or whatever and practice those (same again keep rataking shots until you become sort of comfortable with you're read of the breaks.

Then finaly move to another hole but this time make it a bit uphill or downhill or do both' up and down either side and rinse repeat as before' Soon you will get that the puttin in this game is probably the best puttin in any golf game.

As for chippin this is a bit of a duffer of a shot because if you are more than a few feet from the fringe and any sort of hump infront of you' then you may aswel just flop it.But if you are chippin, what i tend to do is just use the same club on every chip (i use PW") and same again on the greens that you have been practicing you're puttin on, loft and deloft the pw in chip mode from the fringe and soon you will know how much loft to add or take off for distances up and down..

Also if you look on my Youtube Channel (link in my Sig) i don't realy give tips on the videos but you will be able to see how i use the marker for puttin' up and downhills, and chippin around the greens' Basicaly most people can get to GIR or just off green but it's what you do around and on theses greens that make a huge differenc in the scoring..

I know this was a bit long winded but good luck and enjoy this great game  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:50:36 AM by Jimgem »
i7 4790k 4.40Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H100i (AIO)
MSI GD65 gaming m-board
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
Most people will use a lofted LW flop around the greens - you can pretty much dial in any distance from 6 yards to 35 yards with that club alone (set to flop) with a bit of practice using different lofts and swing lengths.  Once you figure it out you'll jump on the "short game is too easy bandwagon" with the rest of us!

BusDriver555

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 01:06:37 PM »
Thanks guys!  And thanks for the welcome!

Good to see you on here, Tim.

-Bus
Creator of:

space-cash