Putting - Waaaaaay too much break???

• 17 Replies

Royce

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »
Putting isn't perfect but it's everything I could expect out of a game.  From a video game sense I actually like that you need to overplay the break a bit, as it makes it more challenging and helps separate the top players from the pack.  The thing that bothers me the most is the avatar blocking the view of the hole on right to left breaking putts.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

hexhash

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 11:01:19 PM »
I have had my share of frustration learning the putting system in this game. That said, I have found progress and continual improvement in handling distance, slope, reading break, and pace. I believe pace is a bigger factor than some may realize. With the right pace I have found putts breaking more near the end of the putt and dropping in (just like real golf). Overall I think the putting system is decent for a game.
XBL Gamertag= SnackMonkey

Completed Courses
Heartland CC (http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=16918.0)

Royce

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 10:54:35 AM »
I have had my share of frustration learning the putting system in this game. That said, I have found progress and continual improvement in handling distance, slope, reading break, and pace. I believe pace is a bigger factor than some may realize. With the right pace I have found putts breaking more near the end of the putt and dropping in (just like real golf). Overall I think the putting system is decent for a game.

It's such a great putting interface really.  It seems the "top" players putt more aggressively with more pace, removing the break somewhat (which is realistic).  I on the other hand typically try to ride the break more, while I don't putt great statistically (average around 1.5 per hole and 46% 1putt, 45% 2putt) I also don't leave myself with tough par putts coming back.  Even after nearly 1,500 rounds I still need to work on eliminate the 3 putt! Lag putting is really enjoyable to me too, probably a remnant of enjoying Oakland Hills style greens.

Best advice I could give is go in the designer and create yourself a practice green with various type slopes, you can place your ball anywhere on the green and "rewind" your putts to give you a better idea of how they will behave.  This helped me immensely when designing my course.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

space-cash