The Lake Course @ The "OLYMPIAN" Club

• 56 Replies

Rod81simo

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »
Definately don't blow it up haha, and definately don't start over, your anguish is understandable but I could never bring myself to do that, that's GNCD suicide, massive props to Han for pressing on and completing The Belfry, I would hate to have to do an RCR over, screw that for some torture! But in all honesty the backdrops and plot surrounds really are secondary, it's the holes that matter and you'll do them complete justice. Look at Sawgrass, Pebble and The Belfry as examples.
They don't have anything going on outside the course and they are great RCRs so don't get to hung up on the backdrop and plot to much.

Just trying to stoke that fire Dave, get on it! :)
My TGC 2019 Courses:
Royal Ballylough
Congressional Country Club
Settlers Run Country Club
PGA National (Champion)
The Glades Golf Club
The Colonial Golf Club
Samurai Links

DDawg

• My Byte is worse than my Bark ...
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2016, 11:32:42 PM »
lol .... yeah ... I am ... working on it .... slowly ....
My most recent course

El Dorado Hills 95762
Calaveras Willow Oak G&CC
San Simoleon Golf Academy

My System:
Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING MB w/32MB
Intel i9-9900KF 3600 MHz
NVidia/Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
MSI Optix MAG321CURV Curved Gaming Monitor

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2016, 02:54:09 AM »
I understand what a nightmare it must be to get to a respectable accuracy with what we have in the Designer. Just doesn't fit very well and the elevation work must be a real challenge.

DDawg

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
I understand what a nightmare it must be to get to a respectable accuracy with what we have in the Designer. Just doesn't fit very well and the elevation work must be a real challenge.

I had it almost to my liking ...  once .... until ... I got mad with the backdrop in the highlands theme not being able to rotate it to the West Coast ... since the Highland theme came out after I had started the original project ...

My bigest problem, is I learned so much more from the time I started this over a year ago ... and basically have been slowly redoing and undoing the original ....

Hoping someday to get a theme, objects, trees, hedge walls, buildings ... and any other excuse to prolong  my dream course.

I cannot bring myself just to do it and not have it close to real ... within reason .... lol

I'm obsessed with this course.

I thought I might abandon it for now and tackle Harding Park ... as it is a little flatter and might be easier to manage ...

But, burn out is my biggest problem ... hard to stay motivated ...
My most recent course

El Dorado Hills 95762

My System:
Intel i9-9900KF 3600 MHz

DDawg

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
lol ....

You don't know how close I've came to blowing this whole thing up and starting completely over from scratch ....

I would have finished this a long time ago if HB would have giving me the ability to:
A] enlarge the plot size (Without having one hole within 50 yards from the border) ...
B] rotate the backdrop in 90 degree increments for use of any theme's backdrop.
C] Global use of trees in any theme
D] ability to reduce tree sizes below the initial size.

and that was a bare minimum.

But the thing that is holding up the progress now is the resizing all the greens to 2012 US Open spec. I found all that info for the 4 rounds, after I had the course laid out  ....
which means a lot of rework and moving stuff around ...

I will not release it until I am am at least happy with it ... It is fine as a "almost wannabe rendition", but nowhere near my standards for what I want to release as an RCR.

LOL

A] enlarge the plot size (Without having one hole within 50 yards from the border) ... with reasonable limitation
B] rotate the backdrop in 90 degree increments for use of any theme's backdrop ... as a minimum.
C] Global use of trees in any theme ... within reason,  or create a custom set of desired fuana
D] ability to reduce tree sizes below the initial size. This has be requested for a long time.

Hedge walls ... Buildings ... city skylines ....

This holds true today as it did back in MAY of 2015 ...

I really pray that HB gives us these options in the "NEW" GNCD for TGC2

This and a few other request I have been beating the drums for ....

Somehow, I doubt if any of my request will see light of day ... but we will get more fluff .... and stuff that has nothing to do with game play.

I want the stuff that will make RCR's more realistic to the real environment that the courses reside in ... I want the theme that will allow the creation of the most scenic courses in the world ... and those found on the west coast here in California, By the PACIFIC OCEAN ... Up and down the coastline.  From Torrey Pines to Olympic Club ... and all courses in between. Monterrey ... Carmel ...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:49:32 PM by DDawg »
My most recent course

El Dorado Hills 95762

My System:
Intel i9-9900KF 3600 MHz

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »
Great to see this topic up and running again,Still hoping for a release,i think there's a good chance city skyline be in next version.

DDawg

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
Yeah ... its like a bad cold ... it just keeps nagging on me ... I keep looking at it and fiddling around with it ... and become so discouraged .... part of me really wants to start it over from scratch ... yet, I have so much time invested in this ... I hate to let it go ... it would be so much easier just for a few minor request being filled by HB.  But I have reservations ... I am hoping that in TGC2, I can get this to my liking ... as ... I cant let this course go ...

to have the ability to set prevailing winds and to be able to rotate the backdrop would help ... and to have more options of 1 Sided ocean views other than just the Highlands theme ... 

I guess I am asking way too much ....
My most recent course

El Dorado Hills 95762

My System:
Intel i9-9900KF 3600 MHz

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
There must be a reason,but i've always been surprised you have not been able to rotate a background.In the end most people just play the course,but can see from the time you put in and the passion you want it to be correct with the city in sight on some holes,All the best with it and as you say its always there for you to look at,Hopefully you not like me the more i mess around with a course the worst it gets.Look forward to playing it sometime in the distance future all the best.

DDawg

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »
yeah ... it is an addiction ... but I am almost ready to throw in the towel and restart from scratch ...

I started this course way before we even knew what direct "North" was ... that feature in the GNCD hole layout came after I had pretty much had all the terrain and elevation changes in place, and hole layout to where I was satisfied .... then came the Highlands theme .... giving me an ocean on one side ... that is when my disappointment began.

then I found all the pin placement diagrams from the USGA 2012 US OPEN .... with actual green sizes ... more rework and disapointment .... then I finally got my paws on the official Course book ....

That was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me ... I kept waiting for that "Update" that never came ... and the request that went unfilled ...

So my best option is to redo, knowing what I can do now, compared to what I could do over a year and 9 months ago ... 

Yeah .... its a monumental task ... but, as with all things ... it may turn out ok in the future ...

I still may just release the current monstrosity, as a wannabe factious facsimile of the course ... that way, i can't be held to any "High Standards" of an "RCR" ....

LOL

But for the meantime, Russ West did a decent version, and I don't want to steal his thunder either ...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:21:18 PM by DDawg »
My most recent course

El Dorado Hills 95762

My System:
Intel i9-9900KF 3600 MHz

RussWest44

• GroupMember
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
did you trace this course with google maps or freehand?
Wrong hole Kobe

DDawg

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »

Google Earth, and initial tracing for basic layout ... which was more trouble than it was worth ... lots of rework, then did better off free hand ...

at least know the course inside out ... but, the official USGA 2012 US open Fly-overs seem to been removed ... which really bummed me out.
My most recent course

El Dorado Hills 95762

My System:
Intel i9-9900KF 3600 MHz

RussWest44

• GroupMember
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »

Google Earth, and initial tracing for basic layout ... which was more trouble than it was worth ... lots of rework, then did better off free hand ...

at least know the course inside out ... but, the official USGA 2012 US open Fly-overs seem to been removed ... which really bummed me out.

yea I remember when I did it, there were flyovers for like holes 1-4 or something. Try finding Lidar data, used some for winged foot
Wrong hole Kobe

space-cash