Would Windows 10 PC cross-play be of value to XBox One players?

• 4 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »
I'm interested in gauging the appeal of cross-play between XBox One TGC 2 players and Windows 10 PC version players.  I posted the following in the PC TGC 2 section:

I haven't seen any mention of the potential for cross-play for TGC 2 between Windows 10 PC's and Xbox Ones.  I don't have enough of a feel for how current Windows 10 PC games interface with Xbox Ones to know if this will be doable, particularly if TGC 2 doesn't require Xbox Live Gold accounts for Xbox One players.  Currently, I don't believe Windows 10 PC gamers have to have Xbox Live Gold accounts to engage in cross-play with Xbox One gamers.  If I understand it correctly, Windows 10 PC gamers only have to have a Microsoft ID to do this.

Truth be known, I'd like to have Xbox Live Gold membership be a requirement for online multiplayer for the Xbox One version.  The reason I selfishly say that is it seems that's what it will take to eliminate the communication lag between players trying to play the game concurrently in real time, without the 4 to 7 second lag between animation and voice.  I know you can select 'quick animations' in the settings menu in the current game and get this delay down to about a second, but the abbreviated animations resulting from this make the multiplayer experience feel fractured, IMO.

Cross-play would be a real asset to Societies, one would imagine.  It would be nice to have the diversity of two different platform bases playing in the same Society.  It's probably a bit too soon to expect an official answer on this, but I'll go ahead and sow this seed for harvesting when it is ripe.

I'd like to get the XBox One owners take on this though.  Currently, there doesn't seem to be a lot of what is called "live" multiplayer (it's not really live, there's about a 3 to 5 second delay between action and voice chat when using full animations) head-to-head play with TGC.  With the introduction of Societies in TGC 2, it would seem to mechanism to setup and hook-up for head-to-head play will be more friendly to use.  I'm wondering if the voice lag would be eliminated between XBox One and Windows 10 players if this was being negotiated through XBox Live.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Royce

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »
My take is the more people available to play with the better.  With that said on a competition type level I really only desire to play like-for-like opponents, I dislike TGCTours just for the simple fact that not everyone is playing on the same playing field, a PC guy can swing with a mouse and XB1 player cannot for example.   At least now when I play my XB friends we are on the same level playing field but if HB could ever get a common swing method across all platforms then I would certainly welcome cross platform play but that seems unlikely with all the various hardware across 3 platforms.

All I really want from societies is an easier way to play socially and meet new friends and play rounds together.  XBL Clubs has helped that a bunch by providing a single landing spot for club members to meetup....not sure how that plays into XBL Gold though (do you need gold to use clubs?, no clue because Ive always been gold).  I play live online matchplay all the time and never really have an issue with lag, but I guess I use quick animations.  My biggest issue with the social aspect of TGC1 is not being able to play against someone not on your friends list, hopefully that is sussed out for TGC2.

XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
I have no issues playing live against other systems. I use an xb1 controller and have watched stream of xb1 players and seems just fine. I've also played with mouse players and enjoy that too - in both competitive and non-competitive matches.

Would make things better - leaderboards etc for cross platform events assuming they were supported

Royce

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:02:51 AM »
I have no issues playing live against other systems. I use an xb1 controller and have watched stream of xb1 players and seems just fine. I've also played with mouse players and enjoy that too - in both competitive and non-competitive matches.

Would make things better - leaderboards etc for cross platform events assuming they were supported

Cross platform leaderboards would be nice, I'd love to be able to filter between XB, PS4 & PC when looking at scores.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
My opinion is the only way to offer this (but not offer it) is to release the game as an Xbox play anywhere title

I feel it's important to keep platforms separate but where possible, offer conveniences.

Consider the upcoming feature to Xbox one that kinda allows the devs to enable tournaments and or competitions within a platform and the societies that TG2 offer, it may be too much and best to KISS
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:42:44 PM by NewBlacksmurf »

space-cash