Balmede Golf Links

• 10 Replies

CorsairBadger

« on: February 02, 2017, 10:25:26 PM »
Hello everyone.
You might remember seeing two of my courses in the Work In Progress section a few weeks ago, but I have abandoned those courses after some tuition from Mr ACES-R-WILD- on how to use the designer better, and more effectively. This course is my first release on these forums, and technically the first 'from scratch' course I have created without any pre-rendered fairways or anything. I really feel that ACES has really helped me out a lot, and I'm finally happy with something I have created in the designer.

A little about the course.
It's a classic style fictional Links Course, based in Scotland. I have designed this course with the intention of making it the kind of course that real life amateurs would play and maybe some pro-am tournaments would be hosted there. It's a short, out-and-back course, measuring just over 6200 yards, and is a par 69 (5-11-2). It has Heavy Rough cut right up to the fairway, to make the course feel like a classic links course with it's nasty rough. Greens are very tricky, and undulating, but fair if you land on the right level or near the pin. The course also features multiple double greens.

Hole 8 is the signature hole and as I have nearly got a hole in one a few times in testing. For a bit of fun, I'd like to make a hole-in-one contest on this hole for when you play your rounds. Though I can't offer you a shiny new BMW X5 if you get one. Haha

There are two versions available. A Clear option, with is nice weather with subtle winds, but faster greens. And the other is a British summer setting (raining), and this has medium greens, and high winds (up to 20mph). Both versions feature different pin placements, and time of day.

I hope some of you will play my first official effort, and enjoy what I have created.  I'd love to hear any feedback on the course after you have completed your round(s). ;D

Icyken

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:14:05 AM »
Very impressive , for your first real attempt I know a lot of designers would be delighted producing something of this quality myself included, links type courses are my favourite in the game and this fits the bill, seen a quick glimpse of what your capable of on the 7th flyover and the impressive 18th, I'm going to try the wet version now, so guys give this a play you won't be disappointed. Cheers Icyken...
2K21 , Courses

Helensburgh , GC. Tour
   Ayrshire Gailes. Tour
   Rosemount , Scotland
   St Nicholas , Prestwick

Icyken

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »
The wet version not as good a bit to dark , I would try overcast setting that might be better , also I was on the wrong level to much this time and found it a bit brutal , would suggest converting some of the red to yellow on the greens there will still be plenty of humps and bumps. Cheers...
2K21 , Courses

Helensburgh , GC. Tour
   Ayrshire Gailes. Tour
   Rosemount , Scotland
   St Nicholas , Prestwick

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
Can see a bit of St andrews (double greens),Carnoustie (burn),A bit of Lytham and troon as well on some of the holes.Played the (clear) version in 10-14mph winds and i must say i really enjoyed my 2 rounds there.Thought for a 1st course it was extremely good really captured thats links feel i thought which i always enjoy.It would also be interesting to see how a burned out firm version would play of this course its short enough to do and im sure enough places to put the pins,really looking forward to see what you come up with in future because as time goes on im sure the courses will become even better.

CorsairBadger

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »
Very impressive , for your first real attempt I know a lot of designers would be delighted producing something of this quality myself included, links type courses are my favourite in the game and this fits the bill, seen a quick glimpse of what your capable of on the 7th flyover and the impressive 18th, I'm going to try the wet version now, so guys give this a play you won't be disappointed. Cheers Icyken...

Thank you. I enjoyed making it, and was very happy with the end result. I'm glad you enjoyed the course.  :)

The wet version not as good a bit to dark , I would try overcast setting that might be better , also I was on the wrong level to much this time and found it a bit brutal , would suggest converting some of the red to yellow on the greens there will still be plenty of humps and bumps. Cheers...

Okay, thank you for your feedback. I shall go back and create a 2.5 version based on your input. The greens are exactly the same on both versions but obviously I've not given enough of a 'safe zone' on the 2nd pin placements. I shall use the assumption that it has stopped raining, and is still cloudy later that day as the rain settings were early morning (around 9am). I shall move the clock on a little and do something with the ground around the pins. I shall re-publish it as (Cloudy) so you can tell the two versions apart.

Yeltzman. Thank you. I was very inspired by St Andrews and Carnoustie in building this course, even building the estuary setting with the town on the other side of the river (right hand side of the 10th hole) that is seen at St. Andrews. I'm glad you enjoyed the course enough to play it twice. I do like doing 'local' style courses more than championship style courses, so it is more than likely I shall be revisiting the Links setting later on, or even in Golf Club 2 in the future.  :)

Antiparosjez

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »
Nice course, enjoyed my round. Thanks for taking the time to build.
2K21 Sandyhurst Lakes, Trinity, North Kernow, Gull Rock, Kings Wood, West Foreland        19 Domino, Man of Kent, Power Station, Grendel Woods, The Pier, Chart Lakes, Elysium Park, White Mountain, Easter Bay, White Rocks,Stour Manor, Samphire Golf Links, The Estate, Romney Harbour, Kingston Park,)

Jivesinator

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
Two of the best links designers in the game (Yeltz and Antiparosjez) saying your first design (a links course) is well done and that both enjoyed their rounds is practically a dream start.
Stupid is as stupid does. I does stupid. I is stupid.

Icyken

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:40:15 PM »
Just checked out cloudy version much better... Cheers.
2K21 , Courses

Helensburgh , GC. Tour
   Ayrshire Gailes. Tour
   Rosemount , Scotland
   St Nicholas , Prestwick

platypus409

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
Very much enjoyed my round. I rated the course a 1 only because I made a few bogies during my round. Kidding of course. Hopefully in TGC2 it'll be much easier to discover gems like this one for the majority of players who don't visit the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »
Hard to believe this was your first course, nice work!
Really like the view off the the 10th tee, the plants on the left provided a scenic view.
Loved the creek/burn, really well done, and loved the wall of bushes that were on the one side of it. Nice job! :)
Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Colinmafia

• Maker of Enjoyable Easy to play RCR look-a-likies
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
have you based it on trump international aberdeen? i been trying to source the course booklet but no ones selling any yet  ;)

space-cash