LB Button Equivalent for Switching Between Red and Blue Terrain Brushes

• 5 Replies

WillPalmer12

« on: February 15, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
I'm trying to switch from the blue brush to the red brush for terrain work but I can't find the key on my laptop to switch to it. Just has the LB button which I obviously don't have on my laptop. Thanks for the help in advance!

BusDriver555

• The Nike BOB (Black One Black)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:51:30 PM »
I am trying to figure out why some are red and why some are blue.  I must be missing something obvious.
Creator of:
* Napa Valley Club & Lodge
* The Medalist Club Lake Tahoe

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »
Bus,
Here's a couple threads that may help you.
Personally, I never understood the red brush. I like to use a completely flat plot and go from there, so I take the entire plot and flatten w/the red brush, and never touch the red brush ever again. I only use the blue ones. That's just me, b/c like I said I never understood what the red one does really.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5890.0

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=13271.0
Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »
There is no corresponding KB/Mouse control that cycles through brushes.

Red brushes alter the BASE TERRAIN.  Once you make a change to an area (sculpt with blue brushes, add any kind of surface) you no longer have BASE TERRAIN.  Instead you have MODIFIED TERRAIN which overrides the base terrain.

However, in order to place fairway or green surfaces, the BASE TERRAIN must be above the water table.
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

dwillisone1

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 01:09:32 PM »
Base terrain?   can anyone describe what is considered a base terrrain and why you would want to modify it with a red brush instead of a blue brush.

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
BASE TERRAIN is the default terrain without any heavy rough, rough, fairway, bunker, green or other surface applied to it.

There are two layers in the GNCD - I'll refer to each layer by the color of the tools. 

RED LAYER - This layer is the default layer.
BLUE LAYER - This layer is the custom layer.
WATER TABLE - The water level is at 0 ft elevation.

RULE #1: BLUE terrain follows RED terrain.  If you make changes using the RED brushes and you haven't used the BLUE brushes at all, the final layer will follow the sculpting you perform with the RED "SCULPT" brushes

RULE #2: BLUE supersedes RED.  If you make changes using the BLUE brushes, any sculpting done with the RED brushes will have no impact on the final layer.

RULE #3: Green and Fairway surfaces cannot be placed where the RED layer is below the WATER TABLE. 

Sometimes, because you've done some landscaping with the BLUE brush, you cannot see where the RED layer is (it is superseded by the BLUE layer).  If the RED layer is under water, then you cannot place a fairway or green surface on it.  This may sound like a bug - and it may have been accidental - but this feature comes in handy.

Common practice is to use the RED brushes to raise all the land above the WATER TABLE before starting, and then using the BLUE brushes to lower some of the land to create bodies of water.  That way, you can avoid the frustration of being unable to place fairways and greens where you want them.

If you wanted to "cut" an area of fairway, you can use the BLUE brushes to flatten an area of the fairway and then use a RED brush to lower the land below the water table.  This technique is used most often to create neat in-fairway bunkers or other hazards.

TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

space-cash