connectivity issues online offline connection problems bug profile gamertag

• 15 Replies

Jimbo Greens

« on: February 19, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
I've browsed a number of posts in the forums and have tried a number of suggestions for fixes, alas....

I can't view/play all courses when I'm online. It's as if I'm stuck in some offline/online bizarro world. I'll detail the problem more clearly, and list what fixes I've tried below.

Possible Variable: I changed my gamertag recently, from LBJ23MVPJimmy to Jimmy McWinigin

I am unable to access many courses at the course selection screen. The only headings/courses I have access to are: Official, Unpublished, and Friend's courses. This is extra weird because unpublished courses should only be available when you're offline, and friend's courses should only be available when you're online. When I attempt to select favourites it says I'm offline, but I'm not. I want to be able to access my courses, in particular with TGC2 coming... I want to be able to port some of them (and be done with this problem before release!). I've had this problem for about a week now.

Fixes I've tried...

Hard reset
Disconnect reset modem / router
Wireless and hard wired
Online / Offline toggle numerous times
Changed my golfer
Changed my privacy and account setting based on suggestions in posts made here.
Logged out, and logged in with other profile, no probs... log back in, problem persists.

Additional notes...
No msgs are popping up in my feed, I usually have plenty showing what courses friends have played.
Once I noticed it said 4 people were playing golf online (in TGC), but often it says zero... even though xb1 tells me a few are playing tgc online.
I can access my courses if I have a bypass, like loading from a saved replay.
Others can see my courses.
Possible variable mentioned above - I changed my gamertag recently, and I believe the probs occurred after that.
This happened to my friend on a separate xbox before... took weeks. It got fixed, but we have no idea how.

I'm at a loss here... I love the game (confused by inability for 2 local profiles to be logged in.... it's a sports game!!!!!!!), but yea... I love the game, especially design (insert plug for you to check out Cardigan Cove (sat or sun are best) - it's a beauty and demonstrates my love for your game!

Please help! Keith, Lorin, Anthony? Anyone? Please help!
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Thunder Mountain - 4.5 stars
Peterman's Bog - Unrated (an undiscovered gem if you ask me)
Auburn Hills - 4 stars /  Tour version - 4.5 stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated
Cardigan Cove Par 3 - Unrated

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
The problem definitely seems to be stemming from the new gamer tag.   TGC1  only can have 1 profile.   Did you just create a brand new GT or did you do the payment transfer through Xbox Live to officially change your GT?

Have you tried reinstalling the game while logged into your new gamer tag?  Games are tied to your gamer tag so if you simply created a new one, you may not be able to install it without paying for it under your new GT.

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
Really appreciate the quick reply... it's part of what makes you guys awesome.

paid 9.99 and changed...  my courses in progress are still there, stats unchanged, my golfer even had the same clothes. Should I still re-install, and what would I lose?
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:11 AM »
Your courses should be fine as they are saved in the cloud on XB1.  My brother came down to my house for a visit, he loaded his profile on my Xbox and was able to show me his course that he was working on.  He logged into his GT on the XB1 dashboard and It just synced up his profile and he could access his unpublished courses.  I don't think there is any setting on Xbox dashboard to save them like that but you may want to poke around before uninstalling and re-installing. 

Your stats should be saved the same way.  Not sure about your in game settings and clothes though.

I am adding a little caveat here that I haven't run across this issue before so I am not sure if this will actually solve the problem.  I am just thinking that since games are tied to GTs, maybe that has something to do with it.    Of course as I type this I am making myself nervous that your unpublished courses may be tied to your old GT.  I just don't know how that all works when you pay to change your GT since I have never done that.

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 12:12:23 PM »
Change your gamertag.... I dare you. haha. Im guessing you can't for a number of good reasons. But if you had a profile set-up, with a course or two generated, and "friends"... and then changed the gt, you could check it out.

I have two friends (actual, real life) who play this game. One has changed his gamertag. Same thing happened, so I bet there are others. He thinks it was because he was set to "offline" but I'm pretty confident that wouldn't do it! I bet determining the fix would have value for you guys and many players. His fixed after about a month and we're not sure how. It might have to do with signing in another xb, and hoping that fixes it. This problem could arise in the next version if how TGC2 connects to profiles is similar.

A fix would be nice, but it's a cool Sunday morning here in NS, and you've already done more than a reasonable person should expect. I won't legislate you back to work!

I have a funny feeling signing in on another xb1 might force the gamertag/profile and online stuff to sync up properly. I'll try that before re-installing. I'll check back later to see if anyone has a solution, and again in a couple of days in case you thought of something else, or to post whether or not it got sorted.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts, much appreciated.
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
Definitely don't want to change my GT.   :)

You said you checked the in game main menu to make sure you are online in the game.  On the main menu in TGC, if you are online in game, it should say "Go Offline" in the bottom right tile.   If it says Go Online, that means you are currently offline and would explain what you are seeing.

The online and offline is strictly an in game TGC thing. What I am referring to above has nothing to do with the status of your Internet connection.

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
Fully aware of the online / offline toggle. Not new to the game, or xb1... Been playing TGC since the early days. Did you read I could play online? Did you see where I said I could see my friend's courses? These aren't options if you're offline.
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »
Just trying to touch all bases.  When you are trying to solve a problem from 1000 miles away, you asked as many questions as you can whether they are obvious or not.

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
Yea... it's a weird one. I appreciate your help. I really am like half online, half offline. If I had to guess I'd say the sync messed up after I changed my name.

Unrelated... wrong place, etc.... I also mentioned my best course is Cardigan Cove (Sunday is the best version). A couple of pretty good players (godfather being one) said I should submit it to be considered "official". Not sure how, but if you could check it out that would be awesome. I put a lot of work into it, and it's one of the main reasons I'm excited about TGC2... to port it, improve it with the new editor, and republish it.
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »
I've tried a number of things, including paying again to change my gamertag back to the same name as it was before. No improvement....

I can play online, I can play my friend's courses, I can play my created courses if I join game through a saved replay, I can see friends online in TGC if I'm playing a rd.

I can't access my favourites (it says reconnect at main menu, I AM CONNECTED AT THE MAIN MENU), or my courses, or any other public courses through the course selection screen (except under "Friend's Courses" - which shouldn't be there if I'm actually offline). I no longer get any messages from my xb1 live friends in TGC.

This is brutal. 20 bucks gone. Patience gone. I'm stuck in some bizarre half online, half offline other dimension.

EVERY OTHER GAME AND APP WORKS ABSOLUTELY FINE.

My network/XB1 tests all come through with flying colours...

I've seen this before with TGC... it's a repeatable problem. Pretty sure it's a syncing issue on HB's end. Can you please somehow look into the relationship between my profile and HB servers?

I've paid for a game that seemingly can't handle a gamertag name change, more than one active profile (which has nothing to do with my current issue - my equally puzzled friends and I gave up trying that a long time ago), and now I've thrown 20 bucks away trying in vain to fix a problem that never should have occurred.

I doubt I'm the only one having connectivity issues as this thread has gotten over 60 views in about 24 hours.

Help!
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
I forwarded this message string to the devs to see if they can look at it from their side.

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 12:00:54 PM »
Thank you
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
I just tried signing in on my friend's xb1... first time. It synced, but still didn't work. Exact same issues. When I signed back in on my xb1 is asked me if I wanted the data from this xbox or the data on the cloud, I chose the cloud, it synced, green sync line at bottom of screen, seemed to sync fine - still have the same issue.
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

Jimbo Greens

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »
Possible progress...

I decided I'd try and publish a course and see if that would somehow sync things back up, and when  I tried to publish I couldn't, due to something in my xbox settings. I had read before that this might be an issue, and had previously looked at all of my settings and made few changes because there wasn't anything that seemed connected to this problem. Anyways... I went to xbox.com, signed in, and changed just about everything to "everybody" - not what I want. After that, I could publish the course, and after that I had all course types in the course selection screen available to me. I also can click on favourites which I could not do before. My msgs feed is still empty, and it still says 0 friends online in TGC, even though four of my xbox live friends are playing live, online, as we speak. Is it possible that my msgs are bogged down with too many incoming, so none show up? I saw in one of these feeds someone suggesting that someone had to many friends and to delete them!

I'll post again if anything changes for better or worse. Still out 20 bucks for the profile name change, and back again... don't think that was a problem, but who knows. The settings I changed had to do with Kinect, and sharing video... stuff that to me shouldn't have affected anything to do with TGC. I had read this might be the issue, and went through previously making some changes - all changes that could reasonably have anything to do with being online in TGC. That didn't work, but making more seemingly unnecessary changes may have led to the progress I've noticed. Also, the settings I had after changing my gamertag the first time were identical to those I had prior to the change.
Cardigan Cove - 4 Stars
Gottington Dam - Unrated

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
I'm not near my Xbox but isn't there a setting to allow user content or something like that?  Was that one of the ones you changed?

space-cash