Author Topic: Layers for fallen leaves, needles, grass blemishes, to give courses character.  (Read 1223 times)

guitardude_324

I'd love to see an ability to put down a semi transparent layers on top of the main fairway, rough, heavy rough cart paths, etc.

We all see fallen leaves and pine needles on the ground at many courses, especially in the fall.  If it wasn't too tasking for game performance, could you add 2D layers that can be layed down on top of any terrain that you've put down?

This can really help give courses a rough and unkempt appearances in some areas.  Not to mention give courses some character and an appearance that they are being played by other people.

I've attached some photos as examples.

A few idea's for application.
-Fallen leaves.  Good for fall theme, laying down leaves scattered in the rough around the course.  If you want a spot with more leaves (like in the photo I attached), you just need to re-apply that layer a couple times in that one spot.
-Pine Needles to really help a waste bunker standout against maintained bunkers.
-Clean up, or obscure hard transition lines, between waste areas, bunkers, rough, tree lines, etc.
-Create blemishes in the rough.  Not every course is as well maintained as Augusta, you're bound to find a rough patch of grass somewhere, maybe a slight brown patch that's dried out in the fairway, or an area of rough that's patchy.
-Create divots in an area of the fairway that most players would be hitting from.  (THE FAKE TEE BLOCKS IN TGC ALREADY DO THIS BY CREATING FAKE DIVOTS IN BETWEEN THE BLOCKS, THIS SAME IDEA CAN BE APPLIED TO THE OTHER EXAMPLES I LISTED ABOVE.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC2 Courses:
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

jordan.springer

I think maybe an updated harvest/autumn theme with this sort of layering would be a great addition.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

IDontShineShoesAnymore

Guitardude is one of my favorite ( and under rated ) designers.  Couldn't resist chiming in when I saw his post.
"We don't see that on our end"

MERACE

• golf-beta
   Guitardude is one of my favorite ( and under rated ) designers.  Couldn't resist chiming in when I saw his post.

I totally agree! :)

-MERACE

rdh

This would be awesome.  I know the old red chain / customplay game had this ability in the designer.  Guys used it to overlay opaque brown sports to create burnt-out sections of grass.  It looked fantastic.

Antiparosjez

Excellent ideas, more tools for variety and realism the better
2 -  Cardington
Kingston Park
Weald Water
Saxon Bay
Gull Rock
Viking Weald
Old Romney New Course
Rye Bay Harbour
1 - Gull Rock Koufinisi Saxon Lakes Old Romney Viking Haven
Monument Sands Scotton Park The New Kings
Angel Sands Golf Links Rye Bay Harbour 2017
Holmere Viking Weald Links at Harry's Rui

ADX321

• GroupMember
Guitardude isn't really underrated he just took a bit of a hiatus

He was the first big thing when the game came out.  I actually think he and reebdoog are the same person you've never seen them releasing courses at the same time have you?

And it would be nice to see jwfickett back on the bulldozer - I still say their joint effort is the best course in the game :)

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Thrangar

No, no and no...The optimization and latest driver studdering the game has now will only be made worse if this  kind of stuff is added. However if we the have option to turn off this stuff, then design away to your hearts content
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)
"Handicaps
"But they even the field!" Yes, because a touchdown counts for 12 points for some quarterbacks and just six for others. Doesn't this defeat the entire ethos of competition?"

guitardude_324

I hear ya Thrangar,  I would love for a feature like this to be added, but not if it's going to cause performance problems.  Especially since you can expect some people to abuse it.

But, if the idea could be implemented without degrading performance, I suppose it may not even have to be a semi-transparent layer, maybe it can function exactly like the MULTI-PLANT tool.   But instead of 3D plants, it could be almost like 2D multi-plantable objects.

Thanks for the comments guys.  I haven't designed in a while but I pop in every once in a while to play new courses, but I will definitely get back into full gear when TGC 2 comes out.  Can't wait to redesign some of the older courses with the new tools and water tables, so many compromises had to be made to accommodate that.

I definitely want to finish Roundabout before TGC2 comes out. I only have 12 holes of that published right now.

As far as I am aware, Reebdoog and I are not the same guy... Has anyone seen the movie Split?
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC2 Courses:
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

jwfickett

Guitardude isn't really underrated he just took a bit of a hiatus

He was the first big thing when the game came out.  I actually think he and reebdoog are the same person you've never seen them releasing courses at the same time have you?

And it would be nice to see jwfickett back on the bulldozer - I still say their joint effort is the best course in the game :)

Thanks.  I would love to work with Guitardude again in TGC2.  I enjoyed our partnership immensely.  As long as we can find the time, I wouldn't count it out.
WIP:
Bailiwick Grand - TGC2 Update w/ Dan Hebert
Pawnee Reserve - TGC2 Update w/ Dan Hebert
Braebyrne Golf Links (Solo traditional links project)
"Project Scarbrier" -w/ Dan Hebert (New project)

guitardude_324

Oh, it's gonna happen.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC2 Courses:
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

ADX321

• GroupMember
Currently I am not a customer of TGC2 but if you two collaborate again...

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

MERACE

• golf-beta

Hmmm... ???

-MERACE

jwfickett

Deets
WIP:
Bailiwick Grand - TGC2 Update w/ Dan Hebert
Pawnee Reserve - TGC2 Update w/ Dan Hebert
Braebyrne Golf Links (Solo traditional links project)
"Project Scarbrier" -w/ Dan Hebert (New project)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember

You will be  8)
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash