Kid's clubs, cutting down old set

• 13 Replies

Royce

« on: May 01, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
I have an old set of clubs that I'd like to cut down (7w, 7i & putter) so I can start to get my 8 year old into the sport this spring.

I found this chart which provides appropriate sizing based on height (50" kid height).  Dumb question time; is the measurement from hosel to grip end, heel to grip end or "sweet spot" to end?
http://www.allkidsgolfclubs.com/junior-golf-clubs-sizing-chart.html

Also any tips that can be provided?  I was just going to use a pipe cutter to chop the shaft off and I'll regrip it myself.  I know the weighting won't be correct but I just want something that she can hack around with starting with hitting some tennis balls...  not sure how common this is but it's how my grandfather taught me the game, using some really old clubs he cut down for me.

Any help/tips/advice is appreciated!  Cheers, Royce
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

FRSTDWN

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:44:59 AM »
I wish I kept my set as a child....

I have a 9 year old son who I got a set for when he was 6. He is very tall for his age so I had him fitted. I think for the set (7w pw Driver and putter) it was 200 bucks. He really was into golf though so I figured it was worth it. He has since got into other things but I have a 4 year old that I can give it to so no money wasted. I have to get the 9 year old a new set anyways since he has grown like a weed. Both my sons according to the charts are going to be 6 3 -6 6 feet. So it will not be cheap lol.

Saying that John Daley learned from hitting adult clubs when he was a kid. That is why he is so past parallel. So having the clubs weights off might help your son in a way. Could teach him good muscle memory because he will really feel the club head. The one thing I would say is make sure the putter is right. I have spent the most time with my son on putting.  If they can get a good foundation on putting that will help them for life.

XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »
Hold the club so that the sole of the club is flush to the ground.  You don't want the toe or the heel raised up as it can throw off the measurement slightly.  Then take a study ruler and put the ruler at the heel of the club and measure up to the grip.  I have a 48" aluminum ruler that I use when building a club. For a junior club a yardstick may work.   

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »
Yes

Don't do it

You're creating a club that is...

1) too heavy

2) too upright lie angle

3) way too stiff

4) grips too big

There are some really inexpensive single club options for kids from uskids or other companies that have better aimed at kids stuff.
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

FRSTDWN

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »
You know thinking about it I saw a commercial for a company that sells you kids clubs but lets you return them when they outgrown them and then get a discount on the next set. Something like that. Maybe google it.

The one thing I have done is never put that much pressure on my son. I tried to make it fun as possible.  I also do not tee off from the whites. I tee off with him from the middle of the fairway so he has a realitic chance at making a par.

GL though there is nothing better than seeing your kids get into the best game ever made. Teaches them so much about themselves and others and above all about being honest.
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Royce

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »

I have a 9 year old son who I got a set for when he was 6. He is very tall for his age so I had him fitted. I think for the set (7w pw Driver and putter) it was 200 bucks. He really was into golf though so I figured it was worth it. He has since got into other things but I have a 4 year old that I can give it to so no money wasted. I have to get the 9 year old a new set anyways since he has grown like a weed. Both my sons according to the charts are going to be 6 3 -6 6 feet. So it will not be cheap lol.

Saying that John Daley learned from hitting adult clubs when he was a kid. That is why he is so past parallel. So having the clubs weights off might help your son in a way. Could teach him good muscle memory because he will really feel the club head. The one thing I would say is make sure the putter is right. I have spent the most time with my son on putting.  If they can get a good foundation on putting that will help them for life.

You're going to have some tall golfers mate, pounding balls like DJ hopefully!

This is for my 8 year old daughter, she's on the short side for a 2nd grader at 50" but my wife is only 5'2" so she'll never be very tall.  My 4 year old son is nearly as tall as my other daughter (6 years old) already, so hopefully he takes after me and ends up over 6' in the end.

With 4 kids I'd love to buy some actual fitted kids clubs but they are just so expensive and I'm not sure how much any of them will enjoy the sport, very fleeting interest in it thus far but I personally feel it's a good sport for females to be able to play in the male dominated business world we live in.  I think my son would have interest if he'd ever relax on playing Minecraft and try something new for a change lol.

Really I just want her to get the feel of the club in her hands and the start of a short swing..... I hit chips & flops in my yard for 30 minutes each day and would like her to be able to play along with me, aiming for various short targets I setup.  I find it oddly relaxing trying to flop into a garbage can.  She took a beginner class last summer at my local public course but I found the teaching to be very subpar.

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Royce

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
Hold the club so that the sole of the club is flush to the ground.  You don't want the toe or the heel raised up as it can throw off the measurement slightly.  Then take a study ruler and put the ruler at the heel of the club and measure up to the grip.  I have a 48" aluminum ruler that I use when building a club. For a junior club a yardstick may work.   

This is perfect!  I talked to a friend of mine and he said the measurement was from just below the sweet spot but I figured he didn't know what he was talking about.  I have a club measuring ruler from Golfsmith so that should work perfectly.  Thanks for the link.

TGC2 Completed Courses:

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

FRSTDWN

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »

You're going to have some tall golfers mate, pounding balls like DJ hopefully!

This is for my 8 year old daughter, she's on the short side for a 2nd grader at 50" but my wife is only 5'2" so she'll never be very tall.  My 4 year old son is nearly as tall as my other daughter (6 years old) already, so hopefully he takes after me and ends up over 6' in the end.

With 4 kids I'd love to buy some actual fitted kids clubs but they are just so expensive and I'm not sure how much any of them will enjoy the sport, very fleeting interest in it thus far but I personally feel it's a good sport for females to be able to play in the male dominated business world we live in.  I think my son would have interest if he'd ever relax on playing Minecraft and try something new for a change lol.

Really I just want her to get the feel of the club in her hands and the start of a short swing..... I hit chips & flops in my yard for 30 minutes each day and would like her to be able to play along with me, aiming for various short targets I setup.  I find it oddly relaxing trying to flop into a garbage can.  She took a beginner class last summer at my local public course but I found the teaching to be very subpar.

Who knows with my sons. They are totally different . I think my oldest has a golfing mindset where my younger one might like more contact sports. But yea I figured you are just trying to see if they have any interest. Especially with four kids that would be expensive. I get the Minecraft as well. My oldest loves that and Roblox (sp).

Another thing I did is buy the foam balls (not the plastic ones) for the back yard and both my kids have been hitting those since a young age.  They are great because they do give good feedback and no one can get hurt and nothing can get broken.
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Royce

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
I love those foamy balls, I try to hit my kids with them for fun while they dodge them in my yard...... good practice for me, never know when you need one of those knockdown shots to get out of trouble.

My 8 year old is really methodical and loves math, figure she's my best shot as my son would much rather run around and hit, kick & tackle things lol.

TGC2 Completed Courses:

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

FRSTDWN

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
Funny you say that I do the same thing with the foam balls. Wife always gives me the look.

XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Royce

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
Funny you say that I do the same thing with the foam balls. Wife always gives me the look.

lol I know the look you speak of well!

TGC2 Completed Courses:

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Coda1850

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »
Good job at least exposing your kids to the game... to see if they take to it.  Wish someone did that for me, lol.  I got myself the Almost Golf Balls.  You might want the foam for the kids but these feel a bit better than foam.  They're a restricted flight or whatever - they don't go full distance (obv).  I like these to pitch around in the backyard.  Even pitched 'em around indoors.  (That get's the look from the wife  :o)

https://www.amazon.com/Almost-Golf-Ball-Balls-Package/dp/B002XF4DU8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493666867&sr=8-4&keywords=real+golf+balls

Also - anywhere indoors with the short rug... I like this putting cup.  It's alum. but there's plastic ones too.  It's easy to put down, pick up anywhere indoors.  I've had nieces/nephews or friend's kids playing putting games.  They seem to enjoy it .

https://www.amazon.com/Andux-All-direction-Practice-Putting-Training/dp/B00GK9AA9G/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1493667040&sr=8-9&keywords=indoor+putting+cup

Good Luck!
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

Royce

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »
I need those balls, exactly what I'm looking for to practice around my yard. Hate when I hit a flop a bit thin and send a laser toward a neighbors house with a real ball....don't need the housewife next door giving me "the look" as I dig through her flower garden looking for my ball that nearly hit her picture window.  Thanks for posting links coda.

TGC2 Completed Courses:

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Coda1850

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
I need those balls, exactly what I'm looking for to practice around my yard. Hate when I hit a flop a bit thin and send a laser toward a neighbors house with a real ball....don't need the housewife next door giving me "the look" as I dig through her flower garden looking for my ball that nearly hit her picture window.  Thanks for posting links coda.

No prob. 
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

space-cash