Design Question

• 6 Replies

dogsandgolf

« on: May 12, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
In the golf club, what do you think makes the game hard? I'm currently making a risk/reward course and what features do you think make this game harder, but still fair/playable
Courses Created:
Knoxville National (1st course)
Gatlinburg GC

scampi00

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »
Two things make this game really easy.

1.) Pinpoint driving accuracy

2.) Easy pitching/chipping/flopping

Because of these two things, I wouldn't get too caught up in making a track difficult, because it's very hard to achieve this without making the course unfair. Instead, try to offer the golfer choices and make one choice slight more risky or rewarding than the other.

To add challenge I would make bigger (not freakish) greens. You are more likely to cause Par and above by making the golfer land on green and 2 or 3 putt than you are to have small greens and make the golfer chip/flop and putt. In a situation where the golfer lands off green on approach shot, they are very likely to flop or chip close enough for par every time. In most cases where the pin is tucked or otherwise close to fringe/rough the ability to chip in for birdie or eagle is high. Keep pins away from the edge and only tuck one or two or three for difficulty.

Watch your green firmness. Every pin needs to be accessible. If a golfer can't reach the pin unless it's a perfect 1 in 100 shot, its not clever or challenging, its unfair. Try to keep the area around the pin relatively flatter, give plenty of movement away from the pin. Leave yourself 4 definite spots for pins before sculpting your green. Make your par 5s reachable in 2 and accept that your Par 5s will be the easiest on the course.

I think that's all I got.
Latest Courses
The Javelina Grand
Pumpkin Ridge
White Knuckle Beach
The Little John
Grey Raven G.C.
Saxony Golf Club

dogsandgolf

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »
Two things make this game really easy.

1.) Pinpoint driving accuracy

2.) Easy pitching/chipping/flopping

Because of these two things, I wouldn't get too caught up in making a track difficult, because it's very hard to achieve this without making the course unfair. Instead, try to offer the golfer choices and make one choice slight more risky or rewarding than the other.

To add challenge I would make bigger (not freakish) greens. You are more likely to cause Par and above by making the golfer land on green and 2 or 3 putt than you are to have small greens and make the golfer chip/flop and putt. In a situation where the golfer lands off green on approach shot, they are very likely to flop or chip close enough for par every time. In most cases where the pin is tucked or otherwise close to fringe/rough the ability to chip in for birdie or eagle is high. Keep pins away from the edge and only tuck one or two or three for difficulty.

Watch your green firmness. Every pin needs to be accessible. If a golfer can't reach the pin unless it's a perfect 1 in 100 shot, its not clever or challenging, its unfair. Try to keep the area around the pin relatively flatter, give plenty of movement away from the pin. Leave yourself 4 definite spots for pins before sculpting your green. Make your par 5s reachable in 2 and accept that your Par 5s will be the easiest on the course.

I think that's all I got.

Thanks for the help!
Courses Created:
Knoxville National (1st course)
Gatlinburg GC

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »
It's best to make your fairways using the sand texture, and your greens using cartpath textures
i will....

Tuco

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »
It's best to make your fairways using the sand texture, and your greens using cartpath textures

Ahhhh, I was wondering why I couldn't score well on your courses.   :P
The Golf Club 2019:

Jules Haven Wilderness Golf
The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

Jules Haven Wilderness Golf
The Links at Dakota Bay

guitardude_324

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »

Haha!
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »

TGC Tours design requirements is that you?

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

space-cash