Watching Microsoft E3 show in anticipation of XBox One X version of TGC 2!

• 77 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 11:53:50 PM »
I don't know if this has been confirmed by HB, but with all this talk about 4K gaming @ 60 frames for TGC2, is TGC2 going to at least run at 1080p at a consistent 30 fps???

The only comment I've heard or read on this came from Shaun West during one of the official streams.  The question was posed to him thusly:
"What are the target frame rates for the console versions?"  To which Shaun replied "the console versions should see 30 FPS".  I took it to mean both console platforms, which would include the Xbox One version.

30 frames per second isn't a very ambitious target, IMO, if that's what they're really "targeting".  I know some of the early buzz for the original console versions of the original Golf Club was that they'd be displayed at 1080p, at speeds approaching 60 FPS.  Well, that didn't quite work out to anywhere near that, as I'd say the Xbox One version tends to run most courses in the mid-20's to lower 30's in my experience.

Bobapett just educated me a bit in the paragraph he quoted from the Eurogamer article, that console games 'set their target frame' rate'.  Are they required to do that or is it a commonly used option?  I ask because I know I could play low detail courses on the Xbox One in TGC 1, and achieve frame rates that felt like 40 to 45 FPS on my PC, where I have the frame rate displayed in the lower left corner.  Yet other courses with high detail could bring it down to unplayable frame rates that I'm sure were in the teens!

The PC version apparently doesn't have a frame rate target, as I upgraded my hardware three times during my sting with TGC 1, and saw my average frame rated go from the high 20's to the low 50's.  I just find it hard to accept the fact that a console game would want to tie itself down to achieve a certain frame rate, when there will be conditions where it could run at a faster frame rate. ???
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:57:08 PM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

leslie.sangster

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 04:49:36 AM »
Any HB employee confirm if the new game will run on the new Xbox One X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any Xbox one game will run on Xbox One X......

Confirmed.
Thanks guys and for the post below I'm not bothered about upscaling the graphics they're fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weasek

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »
I am any! news keith if graphic's or frame rates will be higher on Xbox one x?

leslie.sangster

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
I am any! news keith if graphic's or frame rates will be higher on Xbox one x?
We know the resolution is gonna change to 1080p on the new game and it will look better on the new Xbox because of upscaling and I suspect frame rates won't be affected as much by courses with lots of detail so it should run at better frame rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobapett

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »
Could one of the devs speak to the frame rate on consoles, and if they're locked, or capped?

Thanks!
Only YOU can prevent word crimes.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »
Could one of the devs speak to the frame rate on consoles, and if they're locked, or capped?

One thing I've noticed in the current-gen is that Console frame rate discussions seem to be verboten in a lot of console game forums.  Unless the developer is confident they're going to deliver a rock solid 60 FPS @ 1080p, they're less likely to mention it.  Close behind it is antialiasing and anisotropic filtering types and levels.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:55:31 AM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Bobapett

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »

One thing I've noticed in the current-gen is that Console frame rate discussions seem to be verboten in a lot of console game forums.  Unless the developer is confident they're going to deliver a rock soled 60 FPS @ 1080p, they're less likely to mention it.  Close behind it is antialiasing and anisotropic filtering types and levels.

True - I remember us having this same discussion 3 years ago with TGC1, lol.  I don't think they ever answered us then, either...
Only YOU can prevent word crimes.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 07:40:23 AM »
True - I remember us having this same discussion 3 years ago with TGC1, lol.  I don't think they ever answered us then, either...

Yep, we sure did... I reckon this is an example of history repeating itself, eh? The imponderable questions of 2014 are still the imponderable questions of 2017 ;)
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

bigtee

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
Console versions of tgc are an afterthought for hb. They've went the extra distance to maximise performance for pc players, and even dedicated a seperate team for pc VR. Yet here we are in 2017, hoping to the framerate gods that we get 30, all a while they won't even commit to getting a better performace for the xb1x. I'm in no rush to order a copy until i see the console versions with playable frame rates and a responsive u.i, which was also poor for console players in tgc1.

JohnM HB

• golf-beta
  • Senior Audio Designer
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 02:04:24 PM »
Console versions of tgc are an afterthought for hb.
false

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »
false

This is good to read.  Seems the new engine was the right choice ....6/27/17 will separate news from reality 

Gasman

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »
false

Why can't we have improved resolution on the PS4 Pro then?

Just saying...... :)

JohnM HB

• golf-beta
  • Senior Audio Designer
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »
false

Im 'just sayin' that consoles aren't an afterthougtht - and thats all

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
false

Im 'just sayin' that consoles aren't an afterthougtht - and thats all

I have responded likewise when the subject of console versions being an afterthought have come up........
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

Coda1850

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 03:22:05 PM »
false

The perception is TRUE tho.
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

space-cash