Author Topic: Open theme  (Read 452 times)

Rjwils30

Open theme
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:22:44 AM »
It might be nice to have open theme as an option at some point. Basically a theme with everything from all themes available. Might really open the doors to some serious creativity.
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
Shield Lake Golf and Hunt Club
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

Tuco

Re: Open theme
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
Unless there is some kind of memory or bandwidth issue, I can't imagine why all objects aren't available no matter what theme is selected.

Here is an example of where "cross-themed" trees would be desirable and applicable.  In California, especially Southern California, the palm tree is a ubiquitous sight just about everywhere.  Even at golf courses where the palm tree would not be seen on the course itself, it is often used around the club house.  For anyone wanting to do an RCR of let's say, Riviera in L.A., they might use the Countryside theme.  But of course, palm trees are not currently available in that theme (I haven't checked all of them, but I believe the palm tree is only available in the Tropical theme).

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:58:35 PM by Tuco »

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
Unless there is some kind of memory issue

Theres a huge memory issue.  All of the theme specific items in one theme would blow through our memory budget for the course creator by quite a bit. 

Rjwils30

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »
What if there was a way to create a custom theme by selecting elements from other themes that still fit within the memory?
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »
What if there was a way to create a custom theme by selecting elements from other themes that still fit within the memory?

thats something we've talked about but never had time to implement.  It would require a bunch of new screens, and a massive overhaul as to how courses have their data stored.  Right now we just know that you're using theme 1, 2, 3 etc but doing this we'd need to store tree sets, object sets, other values etc. 

Its something we want to do but its never a high enough priority to actually do it.  Someday I hope we can though.

Rjwils30

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:31:07 AM »
Thanks Paul. It would be pretty nice but in the meantime we have pretty good variety as is. Are there any other themes in the works to be released at a later date as you did with TGC1?
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

Tuco

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »

thats something we've talked about but never had time to implement.  It would require a bunch of new screens, and a massive overhaul as to how courses have their data stored.  Right now we just know that you're using theme 1, 2, 3 etc but doing this we'd need to store tree sets, object sets, other values etc. 

Its something we want to do but its never a high enough priority to actually do it.  Someday I hope we can though.

Thanks for the explanation.  It makes sense, although Rjwils30's suggestion would be great in my book . . . after some other things get ironed out.

Rjwils30

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:16:49 AM »

One thought I had would be rather than having all objects available in one theme but have the ability to change the native terrain and course background of any theme. I've always wished I could do a Great Lakes course using countryside theme but there is no coastal option. I've also felt that the delta terrain would be great for a Monterey course but it doesn't have the right trees.

Just a thought.

By the way I am really enjoying the new game. The new swing and physics are all really great. I think we're going to see some great courses.

Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

Opinder93

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 02:01:17 AM »
I'm interesting Riviera Country Club...I want to play. Please

Who designer course planning on TGC 2?
My designer courses
Riviera Country Club (working under construction)
Arnold Palmer Invitational Vol.2  (only tournament)
TPC at Scottsdale

bigtee

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 06:36:44 AM »
Would it be viable to have different versions of the same theme, with each version having different tree combinations ?

space-cash