Swing mechanics are not consistent

• 77 Replies

painter527

« on: July 02, 2017, 03:18:57 PM »
My experience has been that the swing mechanics are truly a mess on the xbox platform. I have three controllers and each one has a different result. slow/very fast,  fast /slow, and perfect/very fast.  I know they wanted to make it a harder game but I don't think anyone in dev tested this on an xbox controller. The putting is actually worse than on the first version very strange.  I also see that there is no feedback on the percentage of the swing that was made, this makes the learning curve beyond my patience level. I guess my question to the forum and the the dev team is are they going to make a patch for xbox one that will allow me to play the game properly?

ProtoNC

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
What clubs are you using?

I have experienced differences as well, but I can't say for sure. When I stream to my laptop I play on a wireless Xbox 360 controller and it's hard as he11 ( most likely due to lag), but when I play on the console (what i normally play) with a wired controller i do fine, and I have a 1 handicap on Tour clubs. I believe HB has done it right and gives us users the options.  I can shoot under or over, I don't want to always shoot -10, -20, or etc, nor do I like seeing it, but I'm sure the guys that were good in TGC1 will be shooting low rounds.

All I can say is hit the driving range to figure it out or figure out what works for you.  Initially I was perfect back swing and fast down swing so I would aim right.  Now I have figured out the tour swing completely with very few miss hits.
Good luck!

XB1: ProtoNC
Steam: ProtoNC

BigDuke6

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »
I agree about INCONSISTENCY in the swing mechanics and overall results on XB1 (at least using a XB1 wireless controller).  And for those of you preaching  practice, practice practice.... I have spent many HOURS on the driving range trying to perfect my stick motion.  I can get SOME decent results there (maybe 30-40%), but when playing a single player stroke-play game, the shot results go back to being all over the place quickly.  Worse is the ironic fact that often after getting a "less than perfect" post shot indication, the shot will strangely be just about spot on (?).  I am not a many hour a day player fanatic (like some on here seem to be); I just want to have some fun playing a few rounds a week by myself.  I GET the requests for a much more advanced "Clubhouse Society" functionality in TGC2, but NOT at the cost of poor, or ridiculously difficult basic play-ability.  After a year or more of 2-3 rounds @ week in TGC1 (which was fun but still challenging), I don't see how any future "patch" can make TGC2 nearly as much fun on XB1..... unless one wants to invest hours and hours, days and days of extremely tedious (and frustrating) minute refinements of the one's swing motion.  This should be fun, not work.  The potential is there in TGC2, but for XB1 console players the reward doesn't seem to be worth the time investment to get there.  My money seems wasted on this incomplete beta "upgrade".

Neutreus6

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 04:40:54 AM »
^^^ Couldn't agree more. I shot on average -10 to -12 on TGC1 but I just can not get consistent swings on Xbox One despite practice practice practice. And I'm using Player clubs, not even Tour.

I've stopped playing this game now and am hoping the Devs announce some kind of fix because if not, sadly, the game will get traded in.

A crying shame as I was so looking forward to this game, for me TGC1 was one of the best games on Xbox. I sincerely hope they get TGC2 sorted because there is a great game lurking underneath the issues.
My designs (which hopefully improved as time went on):

Quedgeley Hills Golf Club
Welland Lakes Golf Club
Autumnal Wood Black Course
Majestic County Golf Club
Buick Grange Country Club
Buick Grange Country Club (2016 revision)

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:54:04 AM »
Everyone thinks it's just backswing tempo, downswing tempo and how straight the stick moves. I am almost sure there is more to it.

Have started to hit it consistently the last rounds and I feel that the overall speed or maybe acceleration matters. Fast and you are on the left side of the cone or even outside, slow and it's to the right. WITH Perfect Perfect tempo. It is like both time and smoothness of downswing matters.

Or - HB dumbed down the game, which would be a real shame. It's a fun golf game, more alive compared to TGC1.

Heathmonayye

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
Tempo is all about feel. Take a few practice swings with every shot. Different clubs have different tempos also. Backswing tempo seems to be more about the time it takes to reach full backswing, the length of time your holding back on the stick. Example being (numbers exaggerated for ease of explanation) say it takes 10 seconds of holding back on the stick to reach a full backswing. Holding back 10 seconds would be perfect, 9 would be fast, 11 would be slow. Downswing is more about speed. The speed your moving the stick forward from the backswing position it's in. Imagine the white line being drawn as the position of your stick while it's all the way back for your backswing to the point it reaches all the way forward for your downswing. It's the full stick motion. Therefore, if you pull the stick back and to the right/left on your backswing, even if you move it perfectly straight for your downswing it'll be off.

Hit the driving range and focus on these three aspects of the swing separately. Go to practice shot by clicking down right thumb-stick to save yourself the shot animation. Ignore downswing tempo and white line direction. Just focus on getting perfect backswing tempo, feel the time it takes of holding the stick back to get that perfect indication. When you're consistently getting perfect backswing change to downswing. Keeping that perfect backswing timing start focusing on the speed in which your flicking the stick forward. Keep doing that until you're consistently getting perfect downswing tempo. Then combine the two together and work on them at the same time. Feel the timing of the backswing and speed of the downswing until you're getting consistent perfect/perfect combo. When you've got that down start to practice the stick movement of getting a straight white line. It's a nice smooth/straight full stick motion. It helps me to hold the right thumb-stick in the middle of my thumb, not just the tip of my thumb. Just the tip causes me to flick my thumb for the downswing up and to the right because I'm naturally pulling the tip of my thumb towards my palm. I then try and move my whole thumb  straight back and straight up for my swing. I also imagine for my downswing I'm aiming the stick up towards my fingers near the right trigger and bumper, not just the top of the thumb-stick circle. I'm not sure if that makes sense but basically I'm imaging the motion of the forward stick movement as a lot longer than it really is. Just helps me get that white line straighter. I'm not a pro at this game (currently around +3 hcp) but I started out extremely frustrated and confused with the swing mechanics also. Doing this has helped me out a lot and I now consistently get perfect/perfect within red arc shots using tour clubs.  Just focus on the 3 aspects of the time of your backswing, speed of your downswing, and straight/smooth full stick motion.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:52:04 PM by Heathmonayye »

ClassAct147

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 12:13:38 AM »
Everyone thinks it's just backswing tempo, downswing tempo and how straight the stick moves. I am almost sure there is more to it.

Have started to hit it consistently the last rounds and I feel that the overall speed or maybe acceleration matters. Fast and you are on the left side of the cone or even outside, slow and it's to the right. WITH Perfect Perfect tempo. It is like both time and smoothness of downswing matters.

Or - HB dumbed down the game, which would be a real shame. It's a fun golf game, more alive compared to TGC1.
  Ps4 version has played considerably easier the last couple of days.   I feel like I'm in that straight hitting zone only the legendary players make a habit of, using tour clubs of course.   Doesn't feel like I'm doing anything different, just feels a lot easier.    Its actually a challenge to hit a poor shot at the moment.     All a little strange....

Darth Gunner

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 07:15:49 AM »
My experience has been that the swing mechanics are truly a mess on the xbox platform. I have three controllers and each one has a different result. slow/very fast,  fast /slow, and perfect/very fast.  I know they wanted to make it a harder game but I don't think anyone in dev tested this on an xbox controller. The putting is actually worse than on the first version very strange.  I also see that there is no feedback on the percentage of the swing that was made, this makes the learning curve beyond my patience level. I guess my question to the forum and the the dev team is are they going to make a patch for xbox one that will allow me to play the game properly?

I think you are correct - the swing in this game is deeply flawed.
I can go to the range with tour clubs and stroke 20-30 perfect-perfect shots.  Then hit a slow or fast and hit another 20-30 perfect-perfect.
When I take it on a course, closer to half the shots I hit are fast or slow on the downtick.
It feels to me like I am making the same timed motions, but there it is.
I was a flicker in TGC1, having come from TW14 where you could gain serious advantage going red / red and just pasting the ball.
So I know I do have a natural tendency to fall into a faster swing if I am not paying attention.

Best advice I have heard is to REALLY watch you swing animation.  If there is any blink or hiccup in it, do not finish that swing.  The server likely dropped a packet and you are about to see very bad things happen if you finish that swing. 
Easier said than done, especially if you are already in the middle of downtick.
I know golf is supposed to be hard, and all, but it is a game.
The whole thing feels gimmicky and like there is a random aspect to it.
Most of my friends are still plugging away, but a few have gone back to other releases.
Not a hater - not a fan boy - just tired of paying for betas

Ho3n3r

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 03:57:02 AM »
Had the same problem (PC), got a refund, went back to TGC1. Sorry, but everyone's swing tempo's are different. According to this game's logic, Nick Price would have pulled everything, Ernie Els would be pushing all of the time, and Jim Furyk would be playing the Swing Lottery 280 times a week.

Fast tempo does NOT mean a pull every time, nor does a slow tempo mean fade all the time, I've never found this to be true in real life, as long as your swing plane and club head position is square.

Anquila1978

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:03:05 AM »
How do you implement various tempos in a video golf game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Other Courses

Turnberry Kintyre Course
Gladstonevale G.C
Belgrave Black at Balmeadie

Darth Gunner

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »

Let me fix that for you:

How WHY do you implement various tempos in a video golf game?

Kidding aside, you do it the same way it would happen in real life - slow is short, fast is long.
Or skip it altogether.  Me and the guys I shoot with have enough trouble hitting it straight, nevermind the silly tempo nonsense.
I know they wanted to foil "straight shooters", but seriously, why make it so MOST people don't enjoy it, just to make it slightly more difficult for the few cheats out there?  Are straight shooters THAT big a problem?
Not a hater - not a fan boy - just tired of paying for betas

Anquila1978

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »

Let me fix that for you:

How WHY do you implement various tempos in a video golf game?

Kidding aside, you do it the same way it would happen in real life - slow is short, fast is long.
Or skip it altogether.  Me and the guys I shoot with have enough trouble hitting it straight, nevermind the silly tempo nonsense.
I know they wanted to foil "straight shooters", but seriously, why make it so MOST people don't enjoy it, just to make it slightly more difficult for the few cheats out there?  Are straight shooters THAT big a problem?

Ok, I'll clarify for you, since this seems to be an use of English lesson

HOW do the devs implement different tempos for ALL the different players, it's not a why question.

There fixed!

Fast and slow do not only equate to long and short in a golf swing, the mechanics are trying to mimic a closer experience than what was in tgc1, which in the end was robotic.

The reasons are not for straight shooters, those people will continue to exploit the game because the equipment they use eliminates one full element, the tempo does make it harder but even at tour level it isn't impossible to get the tempo in a groove.

If most people don't enjoy the tour there's two other sets that they can enjoy and shoot the low scores they want for the shorter tees.

Other Courses

Turnberry Kintyre Course
Gladstonevale G.C
Belgrave Black at Balmeadie

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
Had the same problem (PC), got a refund, went back to TGC1. Sorry, but everyone's swing tempo's are different. According to this game's logic, Nick Price would have pulled everything, Ernie Els would be pushing all of the time, and Jim Furyk would be playing the Swing Lottery 280 times a week.

Fast tempo does NOT mean a pull every time, nor does a slow tempo mean fade all the time, I've never found this to be true in real life, as long as your swing plane and club head position is square.

The one swing tempo is part of the learning curve of this game. It is not that hard whatsoever if you practice it enough.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

Neutreus6

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »

The one swing tempo is part of the learning curve of this game. It is not that hard whatsoever if you practice it enough.

Thank you for the condescension. I would suggest from the many posts on this subject that it IS hard for a vast many people, myself included. The only way I can get any consistency (despite hours of practice as per your suggestion) is to use the easiest clubs and I then have the difficulty of length if playing from any of the longer tees. That in itself however makes for an interesting challenge.

That having been said if the game is to hard for a lot of people, whether you preach practice practice practice for the umpteenth time or not, people will have walked away from this game well before they get consistent. And that is for me the biggest problem, I want this game to succeed but for it to do so, it needs to be more accessible, it's a game, not real life.
My designs (which hopefully improved as time went on):

Quedgeley Hills Golf Club
Welland Lakes Golf Club
Autumnal Wood Black Course
Majestic County Golf Club
Buick Grange Country Club
Buick Grange Country Club (2016 revision)

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »

Thank you for the condescension. I would suggest from the many posts on this subject that it IS hard for a vast many people, myself included. The only way I can get any consistency (despite hours of practice as per your suggestion) is to use the easiest clubs and I then have the difficulty of length if playing from any of the longer tees. That in itself however makes for an interesting challenge.

That having been said if the game is to hard for a lot of people, whether you preach practice practice practice for the umpteenth time or not, people will have walked away from this game well before they get consistent. And that is for me the biggest problem, I want this game to succeed but for it to do so, it needs to be more accessible, it's a game, not real life.

What condescension?

The swing is not that hard if you practice. More than a week or two.

I am an experienced player and it took me several weeks in Beta to get the hang of the swing.

The game allows you 3 levels.

Standard clubs are easier than TGC1. VERY accessible for anyone, especially newcomers to the game.

Player clubs are a bit more challenging than TGC1.

TOUR clubs are demanding but could easily be made more challenging.

Below is my advice on learning the tempo:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=19615.msg244579#msg244579

Visualize controlling your golfer in the same swing as an Ernie Els or Freddie Couples.

Smooth and rhythmic.

Do NOT accelerate through the downswing to impact as that will have a huge impact on tempo and shot results.

Hope this helps........

Hope that helps.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

space-cash