Swing mechanics are not consistent

• 77 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »
It's a fun golf game, more alive compared to TGC1.

QFT!  With the current tempo component in the swing interface, TGC 2 is more alive and more fun, at least for me, compared to TGC 1.  Is the best I think they can do with tempo in the swing mechanic?  No.  I really think there could be a range of backswing to downswing ratios from which the user could select one that best suits their desires.

The dimension that's currently missing, IMO, is acceleration.  I get a better shot at nailing the perfect/perfect swing tempo when I'm consciously fighting off my natural instincts to accelerate through the impact.  I don't honestly know if it's possible to have variable backswing/downswing rations, while including an acceleration component into the equation with a thumbstick controller though... that might be where I'm asking for too much :-\
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

bob5453

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »

QFT!  With the current tempo component in the swing interface, TGC 2 is more alive and more fun, at least for me, compared to TGC 1.  Is the best I think they can do with tempo in the swing mechanic?  No.  I really think there could be a range of backswing to downswing ratios from which the user could select one that best suits their desires.

The dimension that's currently missing, IMO, is acceleration.  I get a better shot at nailing the perfect/perfect swing tempo when I'm consciously fighting off my natural instincts to accelerate through the impact.  I don't honestly know if it's possible to have variable backswing/downswing rations, while including an acceleration component into the equation with a thumbstick controller though... that might be where I'm asking for too much :-\

If people could get past thinking they need to shoot the lowest scores on the course and just play for fun, then this game is a blast. I don't mind squirting shots all over the place, it's just a game. Anything is better than everyone hitting almost identical drives like in TGC1. I play with a straight shooter and he is hard to beat, but he still has some errant shots now and then due to the tempo.
My TGC 2019 courses
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Roy Rogers Happy Trails 2019
Gilligan's Island Par 3 2019
The Big Valley 2019

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »

If people could get past thinking they need to shoot the lowest scores on the course and just play for fun, then this game is a blast. I don't mind squirting shots all over the place, it's just a game. Anything is better than everyone hitting almost identical drives like in TGC1. I play with a straight shooter and he is hard to beat, but he still has some errant shots now and then due to the tempo.

Spot on both of you.

Agree 100% about the acceleration through impact piece.....that is the one piece keeping this swing from being truly great IMO.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

thegamblinggamer

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 07:57:43 AM »

You should be telling you're playing partner that its just a game

TRC GeorgiaDawg

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 08:51:45 AM »

If people could get past this unrealistic need for what they think is realistic scoring in a video game we all could be playing a fun game and having a blast.

This is not a personal attack, but unfortunately I think HB have listened too much to the opinions of forum posters like this who seem to want a game that mimics their own personal weekend hacker real life games where they stand on the tee and hope for the best. My suspicion is the vast majority of non forum visiting player pool feels completely differently.  They want a game that mimics the way a tour player plays. They take dead aim. They do indeed hit shots perfectly on the line they intend. Of course they hit bad shots, but when they do it's because they didn't execute their swing properly. Not because they've been handed clubs that are virtually impossible to hit straight and have no consistency from shot to shot.

Of course impossible to hit straight is really now a matter of controllers. Someone in earlier post said they think they did it to stop the straight shooters. Actually it's the exact opposite. Those with whatever straight shooting controller now have massive advantage over those who don't. In TGC1 the differences between any controller were so small that it really made the straight shooter controllers almost irrelevant. Now that gap is MILES wide.  Even with official controllers the gap can be large in performance. Some people say new ones hit straight, others say they don't. Certainly my older pad is incapable. The official Xbox pad I used for all my play on TGC Tours in first game is now completely useless. Can't hit it straight if you held gun to my head. And I was decent and quickly improving player.

Such a shame the error HB has made here. It's one that I think will hurt them going forward unless something is done quickly. If they would have left the swing sensitivity alone and tied more distance penalty to the tempo mechanic everyone would be happy. But as it stands now in the general game it's going to be a race to finding straight shooter controllers for some, while others won't play them and you'll have a never ending controversy of who is cheating or those players will simply end up walking away. Not likely to return.  On the TGC tour side it's going to be a race to find the easiest to hit controller that isn't purely straight enough to raise API flags. Those playing with regular controllers will always suspect others are cheating. And the debate will rage on there.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
Do tour players shoot a lot of -12s around Augusta?

Do weekend hackers?

Is the swing sensitivity overdone, maybe. I agree tempo mistakes should be more tied to distance, at least with the shorter clubs. And the tempo should be more granular.

Anquila1978

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »
"If people could get past this unrealistic need for what they think is realistic scoring in a video game we all could be playing a fun game and having a blast."

I think a game where if you are on point you should be rewarded, this does not happen when like in tgc1 every course had scores that were way beyond realistic, this gratification of a birdie every hole is the true unrealistic expectation, shooting -15 is not a 'blast' for me as it just isn't golf.

"This is not a personal attack, but unfortunately I think HB have listened too much to the opinions of forum posters like this who seem to want a game that mimics their own personal weekend hacker real life games where they stand on the tee and hope for the best."

Not personal but a broad dig, the weekend thing is exactly what HB made a pillar of the game for tgc1, umpteen times A Kyne said that was the feel they were going for.

"My suspicion is the vast majority of non forum visiting player pool feels completely differently.  They want a game that mimics the way a tour player plays."

They should have read up on the game

-10 and beyond does not mimic your pros

As for the straight shooting, if HB actually had the info they claimed in tgc1 to detect this then they should do something about it and start erasing the illicitly gained scores.

There's plenty to be getting on with in this game, nerfing it is not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:23:24 AM by Anquila1978 »
Other Courses

Turnberry Kintyre Course
Gladstonevale G.C
Belgrave Black at Balmeadie

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
For all those who think the game is too hard or the swing is too hard and you have the same problems with the swing with all club sets...maybe video golf isn't the game for you?

I played TGC1 on pc only.

Bought the game for XBox and struggled at first because of the "controller"....I don't use a "controller" on my pc.

After a bit of practice on the range i ventured out into the real world of video golf and shot 101 on my first try ever with XBox.

My scores are coming down but knowing that I need a lot of practice, I'm not giving up because I stink at it.

Oh yeah, that is with the Player set of clubs....Standard I managed an 86 same course and I don't even open the box the Tour set is in....YET.

I will apologize ahead of time to those who think I just belittled them or was condescending or was anything but feeling sorry for their lack of excellence on a video golf game.

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
I truly hope they don't nerf things or make it easier.

More consistent?  Yes.  I think that connection issues and dropped frames (I'm on PS4) are impacting my swing results from time to time, and the glitchy putting when I try to bring it back slow is frustrating.  But I'm sure that will all be sorted.

I'm playing to a +4.3 (lots of rounds at Magnolia (hard) and St. Andrews (very easy) with Tour clubs and loving the challenge. 

HB gave me the game I absolutely wanted.  At times it's maddeningly difficult, but it's also hugely rewarding IMO>
My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »
Whom in these forums other than one or two golfers, can go out to their local course and hit the ball consistently the same way?

Now before you answer, I'm talking about perfect perfect straight down the cone birdies on every hole.

Leadbelly

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
I hope they dont make it easier ether, the tour clubs are not that much different then TGC1. All it takes is a little eye hand coordination, even at my age I can still hit the tempo 99% of the time. 

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
Disagree completely....Tour clubs are far more challenging than the "shoot fish in a barrel" TGC1 swing.

I do think Tour clubs could use a ramp up in challenge once they get the stock Xbox 360, X1, and DS4 gamepads all playing the same basic way.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
If some of you can't play and have fun with standard or players clubs then I do agree with the other poster who said to find another video game to enjoy.....  No one should feel entitled to be a tour clubs player in this game... There is no reason whatsoever that hb should make tour clubs easier when there are easier club choices available like standard and players.  I use a standard ps4 controller and have earned the right to be good with tour clubs because of practice and skill.    If you aren't that good I would suggest to keep practicing and don't use what frustrates you.  It sounds silly to those of us whom have practice and earned the right to be proficient with tour clubs.

It sounds like some of you either need a new controller, or revaluate you skill level.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

ClassAct147

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
I'm all for tour clubs being ramped up.   Ive played about 25 rounds since I bought the game and rarely miss a fairway now, playing on the hardest courses in strong winds.    My approaches are also right in the zone, its only getting used to lofting etc that is preventing me from scoring really low.    I was hoping it would take considerably longer to get to grips with the challenge.

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 01:17:11 PM »
I'm all for tour clubs being ramped up.   Ive played about 25 rounds since I bought the game and rarely miss a fairway now, playing on the hardest courses in strong winds.    My approaches are also right in the zone, its only getting used to lofting etc that is preventing me from scoring really low.    I was hoping it would take considerably longer to get to grips with the challenge.

I'm good with them how they are,  but I adapt to whatever quite honestly.    When I first started I picked tour clubs right out of the gate,  and I struggled pretty hard.    Once I figured out the tempo and the controller I was using I loved it.    With my controller,   I need to slightly pull back to the left and then as straight as possible to 12 oclock to hit it well,  but at least I can do it.   If my swing gets off I have to look down at the controller during my backswing just as I would a golf ball in real life...  At least for me,  it simulates the feel of keeping head down and eye on ball.   

I think some of the tempo issues people are having are server issues,   worn out controllers,  and just not getting the new tempo swing mechanic.
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

space-cash