Network Connection Question

• 3 Replies

BSmooth13

« on: July 03, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
I came across a very...strange thing yesterday when trying to play through a few society events. Basically, I could get a few holes played, then I would get disconnected. It wasn't an HB server disconnection, but rather my wifi adapter getting thrown offline, requiring me to reset the network adapter (NOT the modem, just the wireless network adapter) then reconnect. Now, I originally thought "Damn computer, what's wrong with you now?" But after several trial & error sessions - I'm talking 8-10 or so - connecting to HB servers via TGC2 is the ONLY thing that makes this connection error to occur.

I was sure to upgrade my network device firmware/driver, so I am positive that isn't the problem. I also tried to overload my network adapter in other ways (streaming a live video while downloading a large file, e.g.), played a couple of other games online to make sure it wasn't a steam-specific issue, but I could not replicate the problem. After trying all of that I thought "Hm, maybe whatever was going on is fixed now" and loaded back into TGC2. Sure enough, 4 shots into the continued society event round I had been previously disconnected from, my wireless network adapter again got thrown off.

Has anyone experienced anything remotely close to this? It's just really strange, because I had no problems whatsoever before the "server upgrade" HB completed, and I have no idea how that could be having any effect. Any suggestions?

BongoBong

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 11:54:57 PM »
It is interesting you brought this up because I thought I was experiencing something like this. I would be playing the game for a few holes and suddenly my internet goes to ****. I haven't been full on disconnected but it slows to an absolute crawl and I would reset the router to fix it. This seems to have happened a few times and appeared to be related to playing the game. Will test it out some more tonight to see if its repeatable.

BSmooth13

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
It is interesting you brought this up because I thought I was experiencing something like this. I would be playing the game for a few holes and suddenly my internet goes to ****. I haven't been full on disconnected but it slows to an absolute crawl and I would reset the router to fix it. This seems to have happened a few times and appeared to be related to playing the game. Will test it out some more tonight to see if its repeatable.
The odd thing for me was that the router didn't need to be reset, my router signal was still connected and broadcasting. The problem was/is with my network adapter in the computer. I think I may have figured out a solution, since I didn't get thrown off at all yesterday. I read that these types of issues - one's that throw your adapter offline - can be DNS related, so I did a simple ipconfig/flushdns in cmd and it seems to have done the trick. Not sure if this will help you since it sounds like yours may be more related to your router, but might be worth a try?

Oh, and without knowing what router you have, make sure the firmware is up to date. A number of years ago I was having that problem every day, anytime I tried to use any marginal amount of bandwidth. I just updated the firmware and the router stopped going offline and requiring a power cycle to work. Hope this helps!

BongoBong

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »
Thanks. Played yesterday to test it some more and no issues so could have just been an odd coincidence.

space-cash