Designer Hall of Fame - with a companion website & forum

• 102 Replies

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »

I created a new society named: Designer Hall of Fame. This is a public society that will only host events on the courses created by elected members of the Designer Hall of Fame (elected designers will be from any platform and the designer & course name will be included in the event title (if room allows).

Thought this would be a great way to expose new players to the cream of the crop courses in TGC2 and some fun competition for the PC crowd on courses we all know are worth the while. Elected designers themselves are not required to join the society. Obviously not going to be possible for other platforms, but if you are on PC and have an open slot it would be nice to have you.  Hopefully this 5 society limit will be raised at some point.

UPDATE: As far as I can tell the companion website I created for this is live.  Check it out: https://antonioscarpacci.wixsite.com/tgchof

DISCLAIMER: If your allowing negativity to enter your mind or feel that this type of society is going to somehow divide the community and cause hurt butts, I please ask that you give it time to grow before coming to any conclusions. As the HOF member list grows so will the pool of nominees and the process will work itself out with time.  We need patience. We are all new to this society thing and there no telling how big of a success or failure it will be.  I'm putting myself out there a bit in an attempt to create something that will reach beyond the forums and into the general population of players that would otherwise never experience the game as we do.  Especially if we ca work out some sort of cross platform situation. It's a win win win proposition for the designers, players and the game itself.  If you cant get past your doubts then there is really no need to participate, but I really hope that's not the case because I believe this could work. Pipe dream? Probably, but it's the best idea I could come up with. I want this to be a totally relaxed environment, more about showcasing great course design than anything else.

More details will follow as I become more familiar with running this thing but, here is how I have it planned out in my mind at the moment:

Platform: PC

Society Name: Designer Hall of Fame

Current Level: Primary (brand new)

Society Entry Fee: $250 (Open for suggestion here. I want this to be available to all user so if this is too high/low let me know)

Restriction: Open to all

Schedule: Weekly tournaments is the current plan.  Starting on Monday or Tuesday and running through the weekend. Most events will be 2 rounds. Majors will be 4 rounds. Final leader boards will be posted in this thread.

Purse: Varied.  First event will have $125 entry fee with 80% ($100) going toward the purse.I thought that was good starting point since we aren't all rolling in cash at the moment. Purses and % will definitely fluctuate once I get my mind wrapped around it and the the society hopefully grows. Will definitely need to run a few fundraiser events early on to kick start the growth of the society.

Courses: Hall of Fame member courses only. I picked the first event host but in the future I plan reach out to the designer for suggestion on venue, tee & pins they would like used.  I'll try to keep a varied schedule but I do plan on using multiple course from the same members from time to time.  Crowds are encouraged but not required (except for majors). If the society grows and more events can be added then it may be tough (actually impossible) to highlight a new designer each week. I'll update the OP with a list of the course used on tour and reach out reach out to the members for a name and screen shot of what they feel is their top course to put in the write-up (going to limit this to one course to keep the main post from getting any bigger than it already is.

Round Settings: All aids will be kept on. Maybe, just maybe, wind meter might be dropped for majors at some point in the future.  All subject to change.

Home Course: Not sure how this fits in yet so I just used Valle do Los Reyes (Ballesteros) for a little self promotion, lol.  I think after each season I'll put up a poll to vote on the top course from the previous season and set that as the home course. Open to suggestions.

HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

I've decided to elect 5 designers as founding members to kick things off. I very much doubt there will be any controversy here, but there are a few off the top of my head that I would have liked to add to the list. However, as I will detail below, I don't want this to be just my opinion so there will be an attempt at creating a fair election process.  These 5 individuals were chosen not only on their exceptional work in the designer, but also for the special contributions they make around the forums, in streams, blogs & reviews helping other improve.

I'll give a short write up for each designer for now.  in the future, if this all works out, I'll add a course list, some screen shots & links to dress things up.

FOUNDING MEMBERS (by gamertag):

ArcticFury85 (steam):A round at one of Arctic Fury's course usually starts off by jumping in the scout cam and admiring his incredibly detailed plot for 5-10 minutes.  His entire use of the plot makes you wish it was an open environment you could fully explore.  His hole design is unique and thought provoking and every course he releases is an automatic must play.

Designers personal recommendation: ROYAL ETHALWIND (pictured above)

Crazycanuck1985 (steam):

A master of sight lines, every shot could instantly become your desktop background.  Couple that with creative hole designs that can challenge even the best players in the game.  His wonderful design tutorials and streams have had a major positive effect on the on the quality of course being released by newer designers and the growth of the game as a whole.

Designers personal recommendation: The Denali Club - Fairbanks, Alaska (pictured above)

Reebdoog (steam): It's hard to highlight a specific thing that makes Reebdoog a great designer, because he does everything so well.  He's like a renaissance man of course design.  Tee to green his courses are meticulously manicured and play like a dream. Instant classic after instant classic and makes you wish you could play them in real life.

Designers personal recommendation: Olafsen Skerries (pictured above)

TasteGW (steam): Simply put, nobody has better control and understanding of the designer than Taste. Innovative and inspiring work since the early days. There is nobody better to turn to if you want to learn the tricks of the trade. I learn something new every time I watch one of his tutorials. Another designer that you will likely spend as much time admiring the plot as playing the course. 

Designers personal recommendation: Caramel Creek (pictured above)

the CLV (steam): Everybody loves a good recreation of a real world golf course and nobody does it better than CLV. His patience, accuracy, attention to detail and flawless execution allow us to enjoy courses we may never be able to step foot on in real life. His fictional efforts are few and far between but highlight his obvious love affair with classic golf architecture and are always a joy to play.  His efforts in course review are insightful, accurate and and have been a huge benefit to the community.

Designers personal recommendation: Magnolia National (pictured above)

ELECTED MEMBERS:

To come

ELECTION PROCESS: (Details still being ironed out here)

Above is where I will list future members elected into the Hall of Fame.

Any current member of the Hall can PM me at any time with a suggested inductee. I will then reach out to the other members of  the hall for a vote.

All members of the hall will have a vote. I assume it will be tough to get answers from everybody but I'll do my best to keep things moving.

I will only be taking designer submissions from Hall of Fame members. Non-members are encouraged to suggest their favorite designers in this thread but they will only go to voting if submitted by a member. I will not have a vote unless elected in, just like everybody else.  That said, if I'm having trouble getting submissions, I will reach out with some of my own suggestions.

Hall of Fame members can decide to be non-voting members if they choose. I cant imagine that voting will take place that often or take very long but if you prefer not to be bothered I will respect that wish.  If you don't want to be listed at all for any reason let me know and I will remove you.  Also, let me know if there is a preferred username you would like listed instead of the gamertag.

I haven't quite decided the % of votes that are going to be required to elect new members, but thinking around 75%. As it stands now 4 out of 5 should do the trick. If the suggested individual is not inducted they can be re-submitted for vote at a later date and an unlimited amount of time.

I realize this wont work out as smoothly as I imagine so I'm sure there will be changes along the way.  Very open to suggestions on to improve this and make it a success. I think if we can get this to grow large enough the top designers will finally be able to get the recognition beyond the forums they deserve and will benefit the playing experience of those that have no idea that such wonderful creations are being produced.

VOTING:

Any inducted member (founding or elected) can PM me the forum name of a designer they feel worthy of the great hall at any time.  Really only need the forum name but feel free to add any other info you feel pertinent. 1-3 names at a time should be manageable. I'll keep a list and once I get a handful of candidates, I'll pause the submission process and submit the list individually to each existing member for a yes or no vote.  I'll list the forum name and a list of some of their courses and you can just reply with the names you feel should be elected. 

As I mentioned before, if a candidate is not approved, they may be submitted again at any time.

Should be a simple process but let me know if you have any better suggestions.  I'll be relaxed about timing, not rush, no stress. But, if I'm running out of designers to feature or if I'm not getting some responses I may push things along.

Expecting to stick with the "4 out of 5 to get in" rule for the first round at least. After we have some more members inducted we can figure it out from there.

CRITERIA:

So who gets in?  That's the big question.  I'll leave this to existing members to decide, but we are looking for the cream of the crop here.  If somebody hits the elusive "more by designer" button after a round they should find more gems to play. That means some of our currently inactive members may take a bit longer to show up on on the list than some may expect. Is one great course enough to get inducted into the hall of fame?  Better be a great course!  Is there course list filled with a bunch of joke courses? Are beta course properly identified?  All things to consider perhaps.

We definitely have enough suitable candidates to fill a giant hall but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

RESULTS:

Voting results will NOT be made public under any circumstance within my control. My plan is to share the results only with the founding members just so everybody knows this is on the up and up.  I'm open to discuss expanding this to include all members of the hall for full clarity, but worry it may be hard to control leaks and butt hurting will ensue.  Sure, everybody in the society will know who is in, all hall members will know who was voted on, but only the founding members will have the actual voting results. 

Once the results are in, an announcement will be made on this thread and the OP will be updated with a shot bio. I will keep the tourney schedule pretty open so any new inductees can be slotted into the rotation quickly.

SEASON 1 SCHEDULE:

WEEK 1 (Jul3 - Jul9) - Reebdoog - Turu Wero Open - Event in Progress

Rounds: 2
Pins: 2 & 4
Entry Fee: $125 (80% purse)

WEEK 2 (July 10 - July 16) - Crazycanuck1985 Delali Open
Rounds: 2
Pins: 4 & 1
Entry Fee: $125 (80% purse)

LIST OF COURSES PREVIOUSLY USED ON TOUR:

Turu Wero by Reebdoog (in collaboration with staypufft)
The Denali Club - Fairbanks, Alaska by Crazycanuck1985
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:14:13 PM by Scarpacci »

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »
A very cool idea Scarp
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
A very cool idea Scarp

Thanks ADX!  Hopefully the amount of time I put into that post will prove my commitment, lol. Who knows how it will all play out, but I thought it was worth a try.

Just checked and already have 2 members so it's pretty much a hit.  ;D

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
Appreciate the nod Scarp!

I'll be bringing a lot of the old tracks to TGC2 but they will take time as I can't just port them and make them work as intended...
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
A very cool idea Scarp

Thanks ADX!  Hopefully the amount of time I put into that post will prove my commitment, lol. Who knows how it will all play out, but I thought it was worth a try.

3 members.  ;)

I'd love to see some courses from some of my other favorite designers (no particular order, more to follow):

-Wendy 445
-DDawg
-FriendBOMBER
-Yeltzman
-Royce
-Han
-ACES-R-WILD
-guitardude_324
-Colinmafia
-RussWest44
-RAMJET36
-ADX321
-Antiparosjez
-mnguy12000
-mikemike3000
-bigcat023
-drlowdon
-kckfire
-drivert
-KeithC
-scampi00
-Williamhotel
-set my path
-coruler2
-Rod81simoh
-Rjwils30
-bradleystuart
-Staypuft39
-Dox
-StormGolf73
-jeffield
-RockManDan
-rennsport27
-Enef56
-

-MERACE

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
A very cool idea Scarp

3 members.  ;)

I'd love to see some courses from some of my other favorite designers (no particular order, more to follow):

-Wendy 445
-DDawg
-FriendBOMBER
-Yeltzman
-Royce
-Han
-ACES-R-WILD
-guitardude_324
-Colinmafia
-RussWest44
-RAMJET36
-ADX321
-Antiparosjez
-mnguy12000
-mikemike3000
-bigcat023
-drlowdon
-kckfire
-drivert
-KeithC
-scampi00
-Williamhotel
-set my path
-coruler2
-Rod81simoh
-Rjwils30
-bradleystuart
-Staypuft39
-Dox
-StormGolf73
-jeffield
-RockManDan
-rennsport27
-Enef56
-

-MERACE

Great list and I see more than a few I would have added straight away! Hopefully my intentions are understood and nobody is offended by being omitted straight away.  I'm just one guy with his own opinions and I wanted this to be more of a collective effort.  I'm sure it will take some time to get going and hopefully doesn't blow up into a negativity fest like everything else seems to lately. 

friendBOMBER

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »
Cool Idea! Ill join! Keep in mind though for me that all of my courses up to this point with respect to the collaboration course (Molokai Golf Club) have all been made on my xbox one account. Which I have been slowly moving them over to TGC2. Once I get through this process, I plan to only design on the PC.
Check out all my course's, listed in the OP of my "friendBOMBER's course catalog" thread in TGC2019 completed courses:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=29412.msg351275#msg351275

Follow me on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/friendBOMBER1

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
what a stupid idea Societies only based on platform it is setup on,Brilliant idea Scarpacci shame i cant join,wish you all the best with it,Just a question with the links theme gone whats happened to kapalua.

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »
what a stupid idea Societies only based on platform it is setup on,Brilliant idea Scarpacci shame i cant join,wish you all the best with it,Just a question with the links theme gone whats happened to kapalua.

Thanks Yeltz. It is a bummer they are platform specific, but I guess I get it. These gaming platforms need to find a way to work together already!

I think Kapalua will translate wonderfully to the TGC2 game physics and the improved delta theme should be a decent fit, minus a few details.  Someday I'll get back to the PS4 and try to port it over because it is one I would love to play again.  That is unless some super talented RCR designer like yourself would generate a more accurate rendtion, hint hint  ;)

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
By the way, I'm running out the door but will add some more updates to the OP later on.  My image hosting is acting up so I had to link them from steam. Hopefully they are showing up, but I'll get them switched over as soon as I can.

scampi00

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »
I know the winds won't be the same but we could always have sister societies on PS4 and XBOX that mirror this event. Scarp, mage sure you feature yourself a few weeks too. I'm sure the community would be fine with a little self promoting from you here.
Latest Courses
The Javelina Grand
Pumpkin Ridge
White Knuckle Beach
The Little John
Grey Raven G.C.
Saxony Golf Club

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 04:09:51 PM »
Nice Idea. Im joining this one!

Friendbomber, Rod, Han, MikeMike and Yeltz would be worthy second batch inductees!

jacobkessler

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
99.99999999999999999% chance I'm never inducted, but I'll definitely be joining this one!
TGC1 courses:
The Country Club of Wichita Falls
Indian Run Country Club
Mt. Kessler

TGC2 courses:
Mt. Kessler
Columbia Pines Golf Club
Frostwood Country Club

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
Well scarp, I would like to toss your name in that hat, after all you did get selected to create Faxon, a great course on the official list.

Should be fun to follow, and excited to see what new members rise to the top in course design.
i will....

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
Well scarp, I would like to toss your name in that hat, after all you did get selected to create Faxon, a great course on the official list.

Should be fun to follow, and excited to see what new members rise to the top in course design.

Thanks I'll leave it in the hands of the founding members, but it might be weird / disingenuous (not sure if that is the correct word) to include myself if it ever were decided that way.

I have a few ideas for the voting/submission process that I'll post a little later on ans maybe you guys could help iron out the details.  Would like to keep it simple and mostly private. 

Also, not that I'm getting any backlash, but just would like to explain that I wanted to keep initial group small because I thought the induction process would be a fun little addition to the mix.  Plus those members efforts in streaming, reviewing & tutorials deserved some recognition.  There are some very obvious folks left off the founding member lists for a variety of reason (inactivity, relationships, etc.) , but think the process will sort everything out.

Glad to have a positive reaction so far.  If this thing gets going I may set up a dedicated web page, blog, or something simple like that.

Getting ahead of myself, lol.

space-cash