Why so little love for the mouse swing?

• 17 Replies

pgadesertrat

« on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:15 PM »
I remember way back during early access of TGC1 there were many posts about improving the mouse swing.  Unfortunately, nothing has been added to it in TGC2.  Below are 2 MAJOR issues that really hold back this input option for playing.

1) NO Horizontal Mouse Swing - There is no excuse for a current golf game on the PC not to have a horizontal motion option.  Having previously developed in Unity for several years I know it's a simple X/Y axis swap in C#.  For PC golfers that have used this swing method dating back nearly 20 years (Front Page, PGA 99/2000, TW200x, CPG1/2, JNPG) this is a serious let down.  Vertical motion is great for those who prefer it (better for a billiards game) but horizontal best simulates the actual motion (right to left) of a real golf swing, albeit at micro scale:).

2) I tried using the Vertical mouse swing on the driving range and then played a couple rounds.  Why are draw/fade results opposite of what they should be?  EX: backswing down/left & downswing up/right results in a fade or slice, this is totally assbackwards.  I verified that under the Controller options the X-Axis was set to Normal but apparently this only affects the game pad sticks and not the mouse axis.

3) Also, why not have a Horizontal swing option for the gamepad sticks??  Again, it should extremely simple to add this option as it's simply a matter of swapping x/y axis. 

Really wish that at the very least, the first 2 issues would get resolved because I am really enjoying everything else about this game and would want to play it all the time using a proper horizontal mouse swing.  For now I'm trying to enjoy it with an Xbox 360 controller but the game and users deserve a complete set of control options. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:17:38 PM by pgadesertrat »

Hugh Jass Koda

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »
Mouse swing is pathetically in need of adjustment!  Pathetic that the game got released with the mouse swing left in the shape it's in now isn't it?
My Course:   White Mountains Country Club

Pingy312

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:22:50 AM »
Agreed. It's a shame there is no horizontal mouse swing and honestly I would love to see 2 different 'sensitivity' settings for the mouse (1 for putting, the other for all other shots). The reason being is that in order to keep the mouse on a somewhat straight plane on full shots the mouse settings (DPI, Acceleration, TGC2 Sensitivity) have to be at certain values, but those same values do NOT work that well for putting. In fact, I'll go as far as to say it's terrible. No matter how many adjustments I make to those different settings, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get even close to a straight path. Yet with a controller, it's childs play. There has got to be something going on here with this. I can hit the red cone nearly every time with the mouse on a full shot, chip or pitch. But you can't really get the putter path to do the same thing. I might get 1 in 50 putts to go close to straight path.

Is there anybody (perhaps a dev or something) who can explain why this is? You would figure that if somebody could hit the red cone 95% of the time on all shot types yet only manage below average or poor putting, there's got to be something up with that.

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »
I play with the mouse swing and prefer it over using a controller with my keyboard.

Try turning your mouse sideways for a horizontal swing ( I know, not meant to be that way but it works)

I have no problem putting with the mouse either and using Player set, stay inside the cone for the most part.

I'm waiting for the 3 click crowd to show up next.

Of course I'm going to be the exception, so don't listen to anything I say.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »
Turning the mose sideways does not work if you have a "handformed" mouse like my R.A.T.9.
But switching input x/y readings is realy an easy task, takes about 1 lines of code, containing 4 statements.

if (horizontal) {
  r=(left)?y/*lefthanded*/:-y/*righthanded*/;
  x=y; y=r }

Acutally it is allready in the code, where the camera inversions are done.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:58:32 PM »
Nice mouse but a most definite over the top piece of equipment for a golf video game.

Pingy312

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
I play with the mouse swing and prefer it over using a controller with my keyboard.

Try turning your mouse sideways for a horizontal swing ( I know, not meant to be that way but it works)

I have no problem putting with the mouse either and using Player set, stay inside the cone for the most part.

If I have to turn a mouse (or controller) sideways in order to use it horizontally, I just don't know what to really say to that. That's like asking a left handed person who plays guitar to turn it upside down, lol. Yeah sure, there have been some people who have had success with that but it's hardly ideal. I doubt the masses who have grown to love the horizontal mouse swing over the past 20 years will like the idea of turning their mouse or controller sideways.

Still though, nobody has been able to answer why the putting straight for the mouse is so amazingly difficult compared to the controller. People who play with mouse are at a huge disadvantage when putting. It's almost equivalent to putting left handed for a right handed player.

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »

If I have to turn a mouse (or controller) sideways in order to use it horizontally, I just don't know what to really say to that. That's like asking a left handed person who plays guitar to turn it upside down, lol. Yeah sure, there have been some people who have had success with that but it's hardly ideal. I doubt the masses who have grown to love the horizontal mouse swing over the past 20 years will like the idea of turning their mouse or controller sideways.

Still though, nobody has been able to answer why the putting straight for the mouse is so amazingly difficult compared to the controller. People who play with mouse are at a huge disadvantage when putting. It's almost equivalent to putting left handed for a right handed player.

Therein lies a problem, I personally find the controller putting much harder and the mouse is almost too easy.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:33:47 AM »
Got that RAT just to fit the size of my hand.  ;)
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »
Got that RAT just to fit the size of my hand.  ;)

Can understand that and believe me...I'm looking at it closely as I too have bigly hands

milwsteve

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:05:42 PM »
Still have trouble using a mouse and key board with the game only getting very slow or slow swing with back swing and down swing.Now unable to get the clubs to work with the x box 360 controller.

Leadbelly

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
You know what they say about big hands big feet, big shoes big gloves.

milwsteve

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
Have tried using a key board and mouse with the game and only get very slow and slow back swing and down swing game works better with an x box 360 controller if I can get the problem fixed with the swing not working since yesterday's update.Mouse worked greaat in TGC 1 wish it did for TGC 2.

pgadesertrat

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
Still no horizontal mouse swing option nor a Normal option for swing results (retarded Inverted only) which IMO is inexcusable.  The horizontal swing is a simple x/y axis change in code and Normal/Inverted option is already present for the controller analog stick.  Just make the latter a universal option regardless of control type (mouse or gamepad controller).

Leadbelly

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
I have been playing with a mouse for years and years, and the mouse swing in this game is pretty darn good. I dont know what the problem is, but its not rocket science setting things up. I play back and forth a few games with a mouse then a few with an xbox 360 controller, because one of these games in the near future I expect the mouse swing will be no more.

space-cash