controller

• 136 Replies

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »
Maybe you are not taking a full swing?  You could be cutting off the swing early but still making a perfect/perfect tempo.
You may well be right but as we get no feedback on % of power its hard to tell...on a brighter note i just went & bought a wired controller & it is so much better than the wireless ones i have been using.

True, but this is where you need to watch your Golfer animation and make some educated guesses as to what the % is....practicing this can enable you to do so.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

SassyLady

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
You're not going to like this, but the problem is a mental glitch.

I'm not making light of this problem; it happens to golfers on real courses all the time. You are unintentionally pulling it offline. Golfers on real courses do it too. But fortunately on computer you have a way to correct it. Press the right stick button and it will put you in practice mode. Nothing you do here will affect the ball but it will still show you your tempo and club head path. Take several practice swings until you get it into the cone and maybe a few more after that. As in real golf, keep your head down. This is so you can watch what your thumb is doing on the controller. You are always more accurate when you can see what a body part is actually doing so you can make minute corrections if necessary.

I know what some will say. It works better with the DualShock. Or It works better with the XBox 360. No. It doesn't. What works best is what you are used to and comfortable with.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club
TPC Mactan Hills (Regular and Tour Editions)

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club
Mactan Hills Country Club

TGC 1
Bonner Point Golf Resort (Championship)
Tri-Lakes Golf and Fishing Resort

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »

I'm not making light of this problem; it happens to golfers on real courses all the time. You are unintentionally pulling it offline. Golfers on real courses do it too. But fortunately on computer you have a way to correct it. Press the right stick button and it will put you in practice mode. Nothing you do here will affect the ball but it will still show you your tempo and club head path. Take several practice swings until you get it into the cone and maybe a few more after that. As in real golf, keep your head down. This is so you can watch what your thumb is doing on the controller. You are always more accurate when you can see what a body part is actually doing so you can make minute corrections if necessary.

I know what some will say. It works better with the DualShock. Or It works better with the XBox 360. No. It doesn't. What works best is what you are used to and comfortable with.

WELL STATED!
PC

Xbox One X

SassyLady

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »
Maybe you are not taking a full swing?  You could be cutting off the swing early but still making a perfect/perfect tempo.
You may well be right but as we get no feedback on % of power its hard to tell...on a brighter note i just went & bought a wired controller & it is so much better than the wireless ones i have been using.

True, but this is where you need to watch your Golfer animation and make some educated guesses as to what the % is....practicing this can enable you to do so.

This would work on a real course. On the computer, all you have is loft. You always need to take a full swing. I've not found a way to judge partial swings using a controller; and I've been at this since TW 2003. The only way I know to alter the distance a club will carry the ball is with loft. More loft less distance. Less loft, more distance. Except with the woods and driver and then it is reversed.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 1

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »

You're not going to like this but you're completely wrong

There are considerable technical issues related to controllers and sensitivity related to the differences in dead zones etc.  I can take a xbox360 pc gamepad and not stay in the cone and it hooks every single time and plug a logitech F310 in and be straight up and down 2 seconds after I couldn't even come close with the previous controller.

You're flat out mistaken and I'm guessing haven't tried multiple controllers to see this in action.  Trust me, many of us have.
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »

This would work on a real course. On the computer, all you have is loft. You always need to take a full swing. I've not found a way to judge partial swings using a controller; and I've been at this since TW 2003. The only way I know to alter the distance a club will carry the ball is with loft. More loft less distance. Less loft, more distance. Except with the woods and driver and then it is reversed.

I am able to get partial % swings with TGC2.....it takes lots of practice and trial and error....
PC

Xbox One X

SassyLady

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »

There are considerable technical issues related to controllers and sensitivity related to the differences in dead zones etc.  I can take a xbox360 pc gamepad and not stay in the cone and it hooks every single time and plug a logitech F310 in and be straight up and down 2 seconds after I couldn't even come close with the previous controller.

You're flat out mistaken and I'm guessing haven't tried multiple controllers to see this in action.  Trust me, many of us have.

If you're guessing I haven't tried multiple controllers to see what you are saying, then you are flat out wrong; about me not having the experience.

I started playing TGC1 with a Logitech F310. That's a straight shooter pat. Every shot I made was completely straight unless I intentionally pulled it off line and then it didn't go that far off. I don't want to play computer golf with such equipment. No challenge. So I purchased an XBOX One controller and would shank it almost every time; Until I started looking at my right stick thumb during the shot. That allowed me to get it mostly straight. But only when I was actually looking at the thumb moving the stick. That's a bit too sensitive; for me.

So I went out and purchased a Dual Shock 4 and downloaded Input Mapper (then called DS4Windows) as an interface so the computer would recognize the controller. And I still pull it offline occasionally. But I have found I don't have to look at the controller near as much when I'm taking the shot. But when I do start to push or pull badly, I go into practice mode, and while looking at the controller, take a few practice swings until I get it back in the cone. And then several more for muscle memory training. And I'm still not hitting it completely straight. In the cone, but not dead bang on.

But some people would find the XBOX controller more comfortable and easier to use. And that's fine. That's called individual preference. But I will tell you this. When you are pushing it or pulling it the reason is your thumb is not pushing the stick straight forward. And the margin for error is so extreme that you can do it without even realizing it.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 1

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »

If you're guessing I haven't tried multiple controllers to see what you are saying, then you are flat out wrong; about me not having the experience.

I started playing TGC1 with a Logitech F310. That's a straight shooter pat. Every shot I made was completely straight unless I intentionally pulled it off line and then it didn't go that far off. I don't want to play computer golf with such equipment. No challenge. So I purchased an XBOX One controller and would shank it almost every time; Until I started looking at my right stick thumb during the shot. That allowed me to get it mostly straight. But only when I was actually looking at the thumb moving the stick. That's a bit too sensitive; for me.

So I went out and purchased a Dual Shock 4 and downloaded Input Mapper (then called DS4Windows) as an interface so the computer would recognize the controller. And I still pull it offline occasionally. But I have found I don't have to look at the controller near as much when I'm taking the shot. But when I do start to push or pull badly, I go into practice mode, and while looking at the controller, take a few practice swings until I get it back in the cone. And then several more for muscle memory training. And I'm still not hitting it completely straight. In the cone, but not dead bang on.

But some people would find the XBOX controller more comfortable and easier to use. And that's fine. That's called individual preference. But I will tell you this. When you are pushing it or pulling it the reason is your thumb is not pushing the stick straight forward. And the margin for error is so extreme that you can do it without even realizing it.

And yet there are people with controllers who can not get in the cone no matter what.  It's great you didn't experience it but many others are.

I'm getting ready to plug in a brand new x1 controller to my pc, I bet it works considerably better than my existing x360 which doesn't work at all

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

SassyLady

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »
And yet there are people with controllers who can not get in the cone no matter what.  It's great you didn't experience it but many others are.

I'm getting ready to plug in a brand new x1 controller to my pc, I bet it works considerably better than my existing x360 which doesn't work at all

It does take some very fine manual dexterity. So fine, that some just don't seem capable of it. This isn't a judgment, just an observation. For those, I recommend a Logitech F310.

And I take it the x1 you are going to (or already have plugged in) is an XBOX One controller. I hope it works for you. It didn't for me. But then everyone is different.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 1

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:23 PM »

It does take some very fine manual dexterity. So fine, that some just don't seem capable of it. This isn't a judgment, just an observation. For those, I recommend a Logitech F310.

And I take it the x1 you are going to (or already have plugged in) is an XBOX One controller. I hope it works for you. It didn't for me. But then everyone is different.

If you are comparing TGC1 experiences with what's being discussed here you really can't do that.

This game is incredibly broken in just about every possible fashion. For instance, the F310 will mostly likely always give a slow tempo result no matter how hard you swing it due to the incredibly large dead zone.

The idea that people think they can compete fair n square in this game is comical.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

SassyLady

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »
If you are comparing TGC1 experiences with what's being discussed here you really can't do that.

This game is incredibly broken in just about every possible fashion. For instance, the F310 will mostly likely always give a slow tempo result no matter how hard you swing it due to the incredibly large dead zone.

The idea that people think they can compete fair n square in this game is comical.

Sorry. There is no such thing as a level playing field. Handicaps try to address that and they do to some extent, but someone is always going to have the advantage. I don't care if this is Golf, Eve Online, WoW, Elite Dangerous, etc. Someone is always going to have an advantage.

And I'm sorry to disagree with you, but from what I can see the game isn't broken. It may not be the way you want it, but it runs and allows you to play online golf.  Unless you mean it's not perfect so it's broken. By that standard every product on the market is broken.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club

TGC 1

mebby

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
I've been using an XB1 controller since day one on this game and I've had no issues.  I find the swing (using Tour Clubs) difficult but certainly not impossible.  I have to concentrate to keep it in the cone and get my tempo right.

But I have not used a DS4 controller or an XB360 controller so I can't comment there.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Had to toss my xbox 360. Got the xbox one and difference is night and day..Find it very manageable, but any lack of concentration and/or thumb does not come straight back...well, kiss that baby goodbye. Playing with player clubs and will try Tour in a few days..BUT, what a difference a controller can make...

Nightowl

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
karma4u, what didn't you like about the 360 controller, if I may ask?

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
It just became too loosey goosey (i guess) and i could not keep anything within the cone. Other than that i loved it, worked great, still does on every other game...

space-cash