Old Timer's Club

• 30 Replies

Kelson

« on: July 04, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »
This society was created after reading a forum post regarding a society for older players.

The Old Timer's Club is for:
  • Players who are 40 years old and older
  • Player younger than 40, but who have loved golf games for years

I'm really interested to know a bit about your golf video game history. So, whether you join or not, why not leave a bio about yourself. A little about myself.

I first started playing golf games back in 1986 with World Class Leaderboard (which eventually evolved in the 90's to Access Software's Links: The Challenge of Golf).

I played pretty much every golf game ever released. if you belonged to Links Corner, Tiger Woods Community, Course Depot, Golden Bear's Den, Copyright Club etc., you've probably talked with me or read some of my ramblings before.

My love for golf games really flourished with the release of the Tiger Woods Series for the PC. I used to be the co-Owner and co-Administrator (with Tazz) of the Tiger Woods Community (TWC). I see a lot of names on these forums that used to belong to TWC! I was also a beta tester for the TW series with a lot of guys here as well.

Over the years, I made quite a few contacts with the design team over at EA Sports (Headgate Studios specifically). This turned into a  genuine curiosity about what it would like to work for EA. In 2008 I was hired by EA, and I packed up my bags and moved to Fairfax, VA to work at the EA Mythic Studio. It was an awesome experience, and it made me appreciate not only the work, talent and dedication of those who create these games - but also the incredible pressure, compromises and heartache that goes along with it.
Designer Status: Unpublished
Reason: A Horse is a Horse of Course, of Course Course is not a valid name.

Rowan100

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
I have played Links 2003 on pc
Tiger Woods various years can't remember all
Rory Mac on PS4
Tgc 1 and 2 on PS4

Being in my 60's I think I qualify as an old timer.

MLT24

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »
51. Old timer all the way around, back to Golf on Intellivision in late 70's. Loved that game! And also real golfer back to when I was 13 yrs old. At 24 I had a 3 handicap. Now, lucky to break 90, don't play RG that much anymore. Prefer my chair and controller, lol.

PSN: MLT24

Kelson

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
51. Old timer all the way around, back to Golf on Intellivision in late 70's. Loved that game! And also real golfer back to when I was 13 yrs old. At 24 I had a 3 handicap. Now, lucky to break 90, don't play RG that much anymore. Prefer my chair and controller, lol.

PSN: MLT24

I used to play golf every day at the local courses around here. I never broke 80, but I was always around 82 to 85. I have not played real golf in about 7 years now. I honestly don't think I could break 100 now.

Rowan100

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
Shot 87 at STAPLEFORD Abbots last week lucky normally to be under 90

I think I prefer tour clubs on tgc2 than my own clubs now !!!

lchurch1

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
Joined - in game name is PMGS247.

38 years old. Started with Links LS on a mac in the early 90's where the only course was harbor town.  I continued with the links series for many years.  MSN was probably the place I played the most....trying to think of other sites where I found games but I forget at this point.

Switched to the tiger woods series I think in '98 and continued playing that on PC until switching to console in 2006. The past few years that series really went downhill so I was relieved to see this game come about. I think it's still got a long ways to go but I like the idea behind it and generally like the way it plays. Hoping they continue to build this game and that people continue to support it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:30:59 PM by lchurch1 »

elgato71

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
On 1 magical  day many years ago on a golf trip with a bunch of friends & at Myrtle Beach Nation ( Arnie's North Course ) I sunk a 7ft putt with all my friends watching and the Sun nearly set to post a 79..All my friends signed the card ..And then we  proceeded to get ripped..That was a good day...

alegunner68

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »
48- been playing golf games since the eighties, best ones i remember were Leaderboard then PGA Tour (on the Megadrive i think).
Microprose Golf on the Atari ST (played that to death), Links 2004 on xbox was superb.
Then various EA Sports ones until they got too arcadey.
TGC1, now this. Once they start patching i believe this will be my favourite ever.
See you on the 19th 👍

ScottChesney

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:04:02 AM »
I am 65 and have played computer golf since such games became available, which doesn't mean I am good at it.  Some might remember the Jack Nicklaus series of golf games.  I was actually involved in the making of that series.  After using their designer and posting my reproductions of real life courses, I was contaacted by the company to create such courses for the game.  It was cool. They would fly me to the course and I would take video and pictures of each hole and a variety of trees and objects. I would then return and use photoshop to create course textures and objects from the phots and video. Then I would have to reproduce the course as closely as possible from those phots and video. It was painstaking and fun. I spoke almost daily withe the developers of the game, providing feedback and suggestions on each new version.  These were all right before the Tiger Woods series.

Kelson

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
I am 65 and have played computer golf since such games became available, which doesn't mean I am good at it.  Some might remember the Jack Nicklaus series of golf games.  I was actually involved in the making of that series.  After using their designer and posting my reproductions of real life courses, I was contaacted by the company to create such courses for the game.  It was cool. They would fly me to the course and I would take video and pictures of each hole and a variety of trees and objects. I would then return and use photoshop to create course textures and objects from the phots and video. Then I would have to reproduce the course as closely as possible from those phots and video. It was painstaking and fun. I spoke almost daily withe the developers of the game, providing feedback and suggestions on each new version.  These were all right before the Tiger Woods series.

Sure, Scott, I remember you. I don't think we've ever spoken, but I remember seeing your name because your name was well known in the Jack Nicklaus series of games.

alegunner68

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
Finished my four rounds and noticed i could start again. I had a disconnect during the last round, so not sure if it's because of that. As tempted as i am, i won't!

Boiler75

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
Hi! 64 years old. Started with Links, moved onto Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Never played the Rory version but switched to TGC.

Scores on TGC2 so far all over  the place. Regardless of game title never been that great around or on greens.

kabeeo

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 07:34:05 AM »
Played the second tournament. Worst round I've played in years! Dumped 2 in the water on a par 3. 85. Dead Last!  8)

Artfull_dodger__

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
Hello chaps
I'm in England and I'm 49. First console was a Super Nintendo then ps1,ps2,PS3 and now ps4.
I'm a keen course designer with over 30 courses on TGC1 and have had some of my courses used on the TGCTOURS.I spend no less then 50 hours on each course I design from scratch which are built for the average golfer with a few challenges but have plenty of eye candy to try and make them Visual and enjoyable course to play and usually with a theme to them.Anyone wanna send me a friend request feel free.
My PSN: nuter41

Happy hacking ⛳️🏌🇬🇧🇬🇧👍😊

Ps   These are some pics of some of my work
My courses
Early-1981's Loch Ness
The Misty Mountains
Valley of the Kings
The Hogs Breath Manor
Pop's Devils island
The Little lakes golf club
Mirkwood

elgato71