Course Creator Tips & Tricks Reference Thread

• 7 Replies

guitardude_324

« on: July 04, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »
We have a great community around this game, I also think the community is especially best at helping each other out to create the best courses possible.  I know in my experience, I’ve learned a lot from other creators and I hope I’ve helped other creators with some of the tricks I’ve found.  The goal of this thread is to give new and old designers a resource of how-to guides, quality of life improvements, and anything else that can remove some headaches and make our courses the best they can be. 

If you have a tip or trick, feel free to post on the forum.  I will add these to the original post of the thread and try to keep it in an organized and neat fashion.
If you have pictures and video, feel free to post a link to them.  If you have a link to a previous thread where you discuss the method further, feel free to include that also.   That will help keep this thread from becoming cluttered.

Here’s a start to the list:

Creating a hole without the auto generated fairway and green.
Keith responded to somebody’s issues with this and gave the following advice:
Go into Course Settings in the Editor Menu in the designer and you can lower Fairway, Rough and Bunkers down to zero.  Then when you go to place a new hole, it will only place the tee, a waypoint and the green.

Fairway with light rough (the brush method)
The old way of doing things.  Lay your piece of fairway down, and then switch to the light rough texture (don’t move the cursor or change the shape) once you have selected light rough, the shape should be in the exact spot.  Lay down the light rough 2-3 times.  You’ll start to see the light rough appearing after the 2nd application.

Fairway Spline and uniform 2nd cut rough turorial – TasteGW and Reeb
Tastegw and Reebdoog are two of the best designers in the game, and you can always count on them to find innovative ways to make their visions come to life.  Check out this thread where they both share information on their methods for laying down fairway.  Reeb shares a link for his Twitch steam at the end of 2nd page.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=18808.0

Light rough lines not being smooth or lined up right.
MAYDAY and PGAGolfCoach have a thread on the course for ways to get around issues with the splining of light rough.  Special thanks to these guys for bringing this stuff to light, I was also having this problem!
The skinny of it, remove all heavy rough from the hole before you start laying down the fairway and light rough.  It will save you some headaches.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=19501.0

Placing Pins and Tees
Check out Tastegw’s video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSH9IlIL4Uc

Sharing Course Files (PC Only)
Special thanks to Dusty Roads for posting this, it is now a sticky thread at the top of the Course Designer page in the forum, but in case you missed it and need a shortcut, click the link: http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=18869.0

Fairway Bunkers without light rough edge
Thanks for Icyken for this one… Simply make your pot bunkers in the fairway using the spline tool.

Multi-planting and spamming the application button.
Some people may not know there is a multi-plant tool, well there is.  Once you’ve selected which piece of grass, plants, trees, etc. that you want to lay down, press the left joystick button on your controller.  That will activate multi-plant, now hold up on the D-pad and you’ll start seeing multiples pop up.
I like to spam the application button “A” (xbox controller).  If you press the button rapidly and move the cursor around your plot of land.  You’ll able to Lay down a lot of items at once.

Height Reset
Have a floating tree, rock, or have you raised some land up with the flatten tool and want to reset to ground level?  Press the Left Joystick Button (xbox) to reset height to zero.

Red VS  Blue sculpting Brush
Most simple way I could explain this…  Red brushes are best to sculpt the before you lay down your holes.  If you make a big hill with the red brush, place some fairway down, or a hole down, you’ll actually see the area try and flatten itself out.  That will not happen with the blue brush.  I generally just stick to the blue sculpting brush.

Trees for bushes
If want more options for foliage that are low to the ground, take a tree, select advanced edit (Y for xbox) and then lower the tree into the ground until the you can’t see the trunk anymore.  I love using this trick to really fill out a tree line.

Some of the next points are things to keep in mind for helping a course realistic.

Think about walkers
I walk a lot when I golf, so when I build a course, I usually make sure that a person could theoretically walk it.  So no incredibly steep hills that a player is forced to climb, the player needs to be able to climb out of a bunker (stairs or no stairs) don’t forget about bridges to cross bodies of water, and make a cart path.  Also, sometimes you’ll see a strip of grass cut right down the middle of the tees to the fairway, encouraging players to walk that way straight to the fairway.  You’ll mostly see this on the pro tours.
Who maintains the course?
In real life, you’re not likely to find fairways so steep that a lawn mower can’t get up the hill.

Back of the fence should look just as nice as the front
You should try and build the whole course and make as much of it look as good as possible, even the stuff you don’t think anybody will see.  Just like if you’re painting your fence, you don’t just paint the side of the fence the public sees.
An easy way to do this, play the hole and get on the green, once you’re on the green, do a 360 look around the green.  You’ll be able to see a lot of stuff you won’t normally see moving up the fairway.  Do that to make sure you don’t miss ugly blemishes that can hurt your course.

Water drainage
Golf courses in real life have to deal with water drainage.  My dad used to tell me that when I’m reading a green, imagine that there is a heavy downpour and the green is not absorbing the rain water, that water has to flow somewhere off the green.  Keep that in mind when building your greens and fairways…. Don’t make funnel greens!

Pre-Publish Checklist
I like to keep a checklist before I publish a course.  I’m certainly not perfect and I don’t catch everything, but this list has helped me several times.  With all the new features and items being added to the creator, I’ve added more:
-Is the cart path smooth and relatively flat across the whole course?
-Do a 360° look around the green.  Make sure nothing is out of place.
-Water fountains, benches, coolers, and bathrooms along the golf course
-Hazard stakes for water, yellow for water, red for lateral. White for any spots you plan on making out of bounds.
-Tees must be flat
-Make sure player can walk from the beginning of  the course to the end.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

fifainspected

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:21:47 PM »
Good afternoon.
I'm on PS4 and cannot create a hole without it automatically generating fairway and rough. I've set the number of holes to 0 and have changed the width of the fairway and rough to 0 in my settings prior to beginning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tuco

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »
Good afternoon.
I'm on PS4 and cannot create a hole without it automatically generating fairway and rough. I've set the number of holes to 0 and have changed the width of the fairway and rough to 0 in my settings prior to beginning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm working on a PC, but I'm sure the menus must be similar.

From the Editor Menu, select Course Settings.  There you will see a list including Tee Box Settings, Fairway Settings, Rough Settings, and Green Settings.  Within each of these menus, you will find selections for Tee Box Size, Fairway Width, Light Rough Width, Heavy Rough Width, and Green Size.  Each of these items will have a slider, which you can move all the way to the left.  This will allow you to design your holes without any auto-generated terrain textures (except Greens, which always have a minimum size).
The Golf Club 2019:

The Links at Dakota Bay

The Golf Club 2:

Jules Haven Wilderness Golf
The Links at Dakota Bay

PGAGolfCoach

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
Great post!  Let's get these tips in one place!
Tip 1
This tip may or may not work..
as I was messing around with a beach edge..  and then placed a hole near the edge of the plot. What i noticed was the land extended..  ie the plot got bigger?  Not sure..   it wasn't wat I was going for. 
But I had laid some hotels..  along the beach.  Then created hole in between the beach and hotel.  And the plot got bigger..    (. Prior I had flattened all the land completely). It created more land space between the hotels city and the beach..     not sure if this is particularly useful.  But if it makes the initial plot bigger.. could be.

Tip 2
I had a hard time finding the select textures for surfaces 1 and 2 Ans: create surfaces / select surface 1 etc and then y or advanced edit.  I will say I'm finding surface 1 and 2 to be a bit glitchy if created with spline.  As it disappears and comes back.  Etc.  ?  No prob with brushes.

Tip3
When sculpting you can select brush -  advanced edit (y) and stretch  them.. for new brush shapes.. can be very very handy.  Using height to lower or raise ground.

Tip4
Snap tool for planting is a must.  Just remember it will snap to the level of last laid fence or hedge. To do taller hedges etc.  lay a level line of hedges.  Then remove snap place hedge in place above the first hedge you laid.. and then sure on snap again..  to lay at that height.. in a line.  Good for building walls as high and long as you like. 

Tip5
Think this has been mentioned - but bunkers created with a spline.. have no grass ring around then.. good for collecting balls off a green etc

Tip6
Don't forget to experiment.. combine objects / burry objects (all a lot easier now to get multiple effects.. etc.  water effects for ocean spray/ train tracks -- all sorts of things can be created . :)
Happy designing

PGAGolfCoach

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
New tip :  (sorry if they are all obvious btw) , I definitely am no master as some are on here.. , and boy there are some top artists on this forum!

Anyway.. in an effort to putting playable hitting surfaces on top of buildings (a must have right!). .. I know the purists a cringing! Lol.  But  best way I found to do this and get really accurate flat grass almost level with the roof top.. and keeping the shape is to :
Extrude the grass eg with the flatten surface..to the height you want.  ie the dead square one for a tee..
Then sink the building on top..using advance edit.    This method gives the flushest result.! :) as sinking the building to level of the grass makes it easier to check levels.. and the shape of the ground won't change. :)

SCL

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
"Multi-planting and spamming the application button.
Some people may not know there is a multi-plant tool, well there is.  Once you’ve selected which piece of grass, plants, trees, etc. that you want to lay down, press the left joystick button on your controller.  That will activate multi-plant, now hold up on the D-pad and you’ll start seeing multiples pop up.
I like to spam the application button “A” (xbox controller).  If you press the button rapidly and move the cursor around your plot of land.  You’ll able to Lay down a lot of items at once."

I'm having issues where this feature isn't working properly. On the XB1. Any tips or advice?

guitardude_324

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
I don't know if I can explain why the A button spam isn't working, you need to tap really quickly.  This may not work for consoles, I can't test.  But I can guarantee it works on PC.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

ealfano16

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
Hello,
I am new to the course designer and have created a hole that I would like to re-position.
Is there a way to move everything at once?  I want to move the hole, the fairway spline, and the green spline all together. 

space-cash