Author Topic: Auto Gen greens  (Read 553 times)

Rjwils30

Auto Gen greens
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:08:08 AM »
First off I'm glad they made it easier to turn off all of the auto Gen features. However I still don't get why we need the autogen greens so big. I wish we could reduce the siZe of them down to a 1yard radius. If you want to do a thin green the auto Gen green is sometimes too big. Plus i always find I'm responding to the auto Gen geen when I first start designing rather than laying out a green that works best with the landscape.

Is it possible for HB to just scale the greens down.

On a related note it would be nice if we could reduce tees down to just the tee box so we can design more custom free form shapes.
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
Shield Lake Golf and Hunt Club
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

aaronmc2

Re: Auto Gen greens
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
Huh?  There are sliders that control green size, fairway width, rough width, etc.  I don't think you can apply the filters per hole though.

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
Some of us have been asking for the green size to be reduced to zero for ever and yet have still never received a response from HB about it.

As to your other point about the tees, they can already be reduced to zero (albeit you have to do it on an individual hole by hole basis).........which is a further reason to ask why the same cannot be done for the greens.
Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
The Belfry - The Brabazon
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros Course) - with Scarpacci

heshwuan

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »
I agree auto-gen greens are a bit too big as they create design limitations, but I assume they are reluctant to allow shrinking them; they dont want people publishing courses with tiny, unplayable greens.

jwfickett

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
if you are finding that the scaled down green is too wide for what you would like to do, try hitting the "random" green button several times until a shape comes out that is more narrow or oriented in a better direction. Hope that helps.
WIP:
Bailiwick Grand - TGC2 Update w/ Dan Hebert
Pawnee Reserve - TGC2 Update w/ Dan Hebert
Braebyrne Golf Links (Solo traditional links project)
"Project Scarbrier" -w/ Dan Hebert (New project)

guitardude_324

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
Oh boy,

Time to pull out this one "weird" trick from the old days.  It may not work with TGC2 (I haven't tried because we don't need to anymore)

-Determine where you want your green and create surface.
-Shrink the size of the green you don't want (this will make it easier to hide.)
-Remove all autogen fairway, rough, and heavy rough.  (because these will follow where you put your dummy green)
-Create surface and make the green you want.  (Make sure  The dummy green that you don't want is not in the way.)
-Select the pin and move it to your new green. 
-Hide the green you don't want.
-Draw your fairway to the new green and forget the old one exists.

*notes*

Back in my day, we didn't have these fancy surface brushes.  We had to rely entirely on moving the waypoints around and letting the game auto-generate our fairways (uphill and in 3ft of snow).  Since there is only 3 waypoints (Tee, Fairway, Green)  We couldn't create double doglegs.  And the fairways just looked awful because you couldn't give them proper shapes.  We had to use all kinds of tricks to manipulate the fairways to be shaped like we wanted.

This was the trick we used to get around the limitations of the game (this was during the open beta of TGC1 of course)  I'd give you examples from my first course, but I really don't want to bring those over to TGC2.

Downsides of this, your 3rd waypoint will always be the original (dummy green) so the red lines will stay there.  I haven't tested this in the new game, but it could potentially screw up your auto aim in the game by having you face the wrong green for your approach (I don't think this was the case with TGC1, but I'm not sure with the new game)

And lastly, how small of a green do you want?  Because they can be as little as 10ft in diameter when you shrink them down.  If you're going for realism, I'd suggest a bigger course, but if you're going for fantasy or maybe a miniputt of chip and putt course, tear away!

Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC2 Courses:
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »
And lastly, how small of a green do you want?  Because they can be as little as 10ft in diameter when you shrink them down.

I don't think I have ever seen one go as small as that.

Sometimes it's not so much about the size of the green that is the problem but more the shape. The bit of autogen green that is left when it is shrunk down as small as it currently goes sometimes just won't fit the shape of green you are trying to build.

I admit I haven't tried jwfickett's trick using the random button though so I will give that a go next time I have this issue to see if it helps.

The point still stands though......why can all the other surfaces be reduced to zero and not the green ?  As far as I know HB have never answered this question...
Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
The smallest we can get the autogen green is 10 yards by 11 yards, 30 feet by 33 feet. (see image)

How much smaller and moreso why, do you need to go?

If you were to publish a course with greens that small you would be banned from designing ever again I would think.  ::)

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
Dusty, if you read what I posted before you properly I think I explain why this should be an option. I am not wanting to make greens that small so I have no worries about being banned from ever designing again  8)

What is it about this topic that people feel the need to question the reasoning behind it ? If there is an option to make the green size zero (the same as all the other surfaces have currently) then what's the big deal ?  Options are good no ?

Every time this subject comes up there seems to be some sort of horror and objection about the whole idea especially from people who don't even design themselves......please can someone enlighten me as to why that is.

Better still can someone from HB give us an answer as to why this has not been implemented despite it having been asked for numerous times in TGC1

Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
You know what roll eyes is right?

What's the difference if you are never going to make a green that small with leaving it as it is and fixing other broken things?

What's the purpose of NOT having that bit of green?

Rjwils30

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the tip! Haven't tried that one. It's still bothersome to to have to deal with work arounds for features of the course designer that only apply to the guys pumping out auto Gen courses.

if you are finding that the scaled down green is too wide for what you would like to do, try hitting the "random" green button several times until a shape comes out that is more narrow or oriented in a better direction. Hope that helps.
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

Rjwils30

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
I didn't know you could do it for tees. That's great. I've been in the designer for over a year and a half and didn't realize that. Thanks!

Some of us have been asking for the green size to be reduced to zero for ever and yet have still never received a response from HB about it.

As to your other point about the tees, they can already be reduced to zero (albeit you have to do it on an individual hole by hole basis).........which is a further reason to ask why the same cannot be done for the greens.
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

Rjwils30

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
Haha. That is quite the work around! I commend you early guys for working with the constraints of the designer. I suppose I could try that method out but it sure would be nice to just have a smaller or
Non existant auto green. Honestly I've made it work until this point it's really
Just an annoyance of having to deal with features of the designer that are not intended for the guys designing custom courses.

Oh boy,

Time to pull out this one "weird" trick from the old days.  It may not work with TGC2 (I haven't tried because we don't need to anymore)

-Determine where you want your green and create surface.
-Shrink the size of the green you don't want (this will make it easier to hide.)
-Remove all autogen fairway, rough, and heavy rough.  (because these will follow where you put your dummy green)
-Create surface and make the green you want.  (Make sure  The dummy green that you don't want is not in the way.)
-Select the pin and move it to your new green. 
-Hide the green you don't want.
-Draw your fairway to the new green and forget the old one exists.

*notes*

Back in my day, we didn't have these fancy surface brushes.  We had to rely entirely on moving the waypoints around and letting the game auto-generate our fairways (uphill and in 3ft of snow).  Since there is only 3 waypoints (Tee, Fairway, Green)  We couldn't create double doglegs.  And the fairways just looked awful because you couldn't give them proper shapes.  We had to use all kinds of tricks to manipulate the fairways to be shaped like we wanted.

This was the trick we used to get around the limitations of the game (this was during the open beta of TGC1 of course)  I'd give you examples from my first course, but I really don't want to bring those over to TGC2.

Downsides of this, your 3rd waypoint will always be the original (dummy green) so the red lines will stay there.  I haven't tested this in the new game, but it could potentially screw up your auto aim in the game by having you face the wrong green for your approach (I don't think this was the case with TGC1, but I'm not sure with the new game)

And lastly, how small of a green do you want?  Because they can be as little as 10ft in diameter when you shrink them down.  If you're going for realism, I'd suggest a bigger course, but if you're going for fantasy or maybe a miniputt of chip and putt course, tear away!
Ellie Cliffs
Ollie Heath
The Sandbelt
Ollie Links
New Highland Dunes GC
Hillcrest GC
Mount Pleasant GC

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »
Just went to test out using the random button to change the shape of the green.

Going into green settings>random it only gives the option to generate a new course....

I assume this is a bug ?

*Edit

It says generate new course but it actually only generates a new hole when you click confirm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 01:32:27 PM by Han »
Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »
Just tried out some smallest size autogen greens to see what sort of shape and size i could get.

Tried various combinations of hole length, waypoint distance etc. but it didn't seem to make any difference to what shape or size green you got.

Interestingly when I used the random option on all eight of the greens shown in the picture it gave me the exact same green shape and size (to within an inch or so) of the first generated ones. This was the same result after doing it 3 times on each green.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:02:02 PM by Han »
Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

space-cash