Author Topic: New member - finding the forum quite hostile  (Read 301 times)

ukjackbauer

New member - finding the forum quite hostile
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
Hey - pretty new member here. Just wanted to leave a comment on this, but wasn't sure where would be the best place to put it (feel free to move, or even delete - just wanted to provide some feedback if it's useful).

I'm finding that the feedback areas for TGC2 are pretty hostile and providing feedback etc. can result in a pretty bad atmosphere. Conversation about different aspects of the game can result in some pretty passive-aggressive comments that I'm not used to (and that I've felt "baited" into responding to), as a member of a few different forums (earlier today there was a thread created that ended up with someone sending insults via a PM, just out of nowhere).

Perhaps it's a "new release" thing and it's not usually like this (?), and I'm not posting this to be a pain-in-the-backside. Just wanted to provide feedback from the point of view of a new member, in-case there's a social manager (or similar) who might find it useful. :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:19:12 PM by ukjackbauer »

bob5453

Re: New member - finding the forum quite hostile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Fanboys will be fanboys. Ignore them.

It is almost impossible to make a suggestion that hasn't already been made the last 3 years on this forum. If TGC were lemonade, then what you just bought would be a 25 cent cup of lemonade made from a Kool-ade packet by the 8 year old neighbor girl.... She's just trying to make a buck.
My TGC2 courses
The Big Valley GC
Roy Rogers Happy Trails GC
Bob's Majestic Mountain GC
*** Courses all have crowds added ***

Unky Al

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
Just ignore it buddy. You need to remind yourself how many of those would actually have the balls to say it to your face rather than hide behind a keyboard, my money is on not very many  ;D. Plus everyone is entitled to their opinion whether or not its right  ;D

Jump on the Casuals tournies and you can cheer yourself up laughing at my pitiful scores  :P

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
Hey - pretty new member here. Just wanted to leave a comment on this, but wasn't sure where would be the best place to put it (feel free to move, or even delete - just wanted to provide some feedback if it's useful).

I'm finding that the feedback areas for TGC2 are pretty hostile and providing feedback etc. can result in a pretty bad atmosphere. Conversation about different aspects of the game can result in some pretty passive-aggressive comments that I'm not used to (and that I've felt "baited" into responding to), as a member of a few different forums (earlier today there was a thread created that ended up with someone sending insults via a PM, just out of nowhere).

Perhaps it's a "new release" thing and it's not usually like this (?), and I'm not posting this to be a pain-in-the-backside. Just wanted to provide feedback from the point of view of a new member, in-case there's a social manager (or similar) who might find it useful. :)

Thanks!

Good feedback.

I think emotions guide many of the responses.

The general vibe here is not what you describe the vast majority of time.

Once we get past the launch issues, I think you will see temperatures in discussions recede.....

Hang in there...really great community.
Current PC:
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X - LGA 1151
i7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.5 GHZ CPU
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
HP Omen 32" 3840x2160@75hz
480GB OCZ AMD Radeon R7 2.5" 7mm Internal SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Xbox One Elite Controller

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
I'm sure your post includes me in your accusations (I am not the PM guy tho) but let me point out one fact.

When most of us respond to the types of posts you have posted, we answer trying to help you.

If you feel baited it's because some times it seems you are not listening or don't find our info helpful and we have to keep hammering home our point.

Your latest threads about the putting was hammered in the beta, we looked at all sorts of angles, I can't say anymore but when we (testers) say use your cameras, we aren't saying it to deflect away from any problem, you have to use your cameras more in TGC2.

This is not a plug and play game anymore.

HBS has made it harder and there are some that apparently cannot accept that and want what they had before.

I can't answer for the devs but I'm sure when they read some of the posts that have been made (yes the attack posts) they are pulling what little hair they have left because they were asked for better and harder, gave it and now find that some don't like it and are letting them know that.

ukjackbauer

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »
I'm sure your post includes me in your accusations (I am not the PM guy tho) but let me point out one fact.

I'm honestly not trying to single anyone out - I just wanted to provide some feedback. You analysed one of the putting videos I posted up, and I appreciate it being looked over in that level of detail.

I don't feel offended or anything, I just genuinely feel a little uncomfortable posting feedback, which hasn't happened to me elsewhere.

Your latest threads about the putting was hammered in the beta

I wasn't to know that - especially when every mention of it seems to be dismissed as nonsense! I'm not trying to be a broken record. I just feel like there are a lot of cases where valid, constructive feedback is labelled as pointless moaning. Maybe some of it is, but personally I try to back everything up with video evidence, to prove a point of view as much as possible.

The tempo stuff is a great example. There's a lot of people who say they don't like it and can't get used to it. That kind of thing is personal preference - I love it, and love the direction that the gameplay is going in.

I can't answer for the devs but I'm sure when they read some of the posts that have been made (yes the attack posts) they are pulling what little hair they have left because they were asked for better and harder, gave it and now find that some don't like it and are letting them know that.

I get the feeling that a lot of it is in defence of the devs, and I admire that, but it just feels a little over-the-top to me sometimes, when someone is providing valid feedback with evidence of their problem, rather than just saying "worst game ever lol".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:53:33 PM by ukjackbauer »

aaronmc2

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »
It's a catch-22.  People ask for advice, but as you give the advice and word it the wrong way, you're called "patronizing" and immediately blocked.  These things don't bother me, but I do think it's stupid.

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
@ukjack,
We read all of the feedback that gets posted in the forums.  Until we say it is nonsense, consider it as potentially helpful to the dev team.   Not every suggestion will get implemented nor will every one be in line with the vision of the game that the devs want to create.  But, that doesn't mean a suggestion or request could lead to other ideas.

Valid feedback with videos or pics, is infinitely more helpful than the "this game sucks" posts.  To be quite honest, those types of posts are utterly useless.

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
Valid feedback with videos or pics, is infinitely more helpful than the "this game sucks" posts. 

EXACTLY

ukjackbauer

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 05:27:59 AM »
Valid feedback with videos or pics, is infinitely more helpful than the "this game sucks" posts.  To be quite honest, those types of posts are utterly useless.
EXACTLY

At last, something we can all agree on. ;D For the record, I'm enjoying the game more than any golf game I've played in 10+ years.

Thank you for the response!

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »
EXACTLY

At last, something we can all agree on. ;D For the record, I'm enjoying the game more than any golf game I've played in 10+ years.

Thank you for the response!

You're welcome, great to hear!

mebby

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »

Thanks!

I think Bob said it best.  The diehard fanboys just aren't capable of reading anything that isn't 100% positive without getting their feelings hurt and then the mud starts to fly.

But I also feel like Internet forums bring out the worst in people in general.  And part of that is due to the fact that it's difficult to get the proper "tone" across in the written word.  And then of course you've go the keyboard courage guys that need to come on here and make up for their real life short comings... LOL!
Steam Name - Turnerm05

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »

Thanks!

I think Bob said it best.  The diehard fanboys just aren't capable of reading anything that isn't 100% positive without getting their feelings hurt and then the mud starts to fly.

But I also feel like Internet forums bring out the worst in people in general.  And part of that is due to the fact that it's difficult to get the proper "tone" across in the written word.  And then of course you've go the keyboard courage guys that need to come on here and make up for their real life short comings... LOL!

THIS. ;)
Current PC:
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X - LGA 1151
i7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.5 GHZ CPU
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
HP Omen 32" 3840x2160@75hz
480GB OCZ AMD Radeon R7 2.5" 7mm Internal SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Xbox One Elite Controller

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »

Thanks!

Color me guilty then but I am frustrated not by bug reports and such, it's all the this game is broken **** that is flying around when the game is NOT broken for most of us.

mebby

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »

Thanks!

Color me guilty then but I am frustrated not by bug reports and such, it's all the this game is broken **** that is flying around when the game is NOT broken for most of us.

Then the posts shouldn't relate to you and you should probably just move on without responding.

I think the different people just have different views on things.  I'm honestly enjoying this game. I'm playing it nearly every day and having a great time.  But that doesn't mean that there aren't areas of the game that I think could be better and I SHOULD'NT have to preface every constructive feedback post with a statement saying that I LOVE the game and you guys did a GREAT job (everyone gets a trophy... YAY!!!) but... I'd like you guys to maybe kinda look at this one little area if it's not too much trouble.

Why walk on eggshells?  But honestly - just take a look around.  There are lots of people posting constructive feedback (something other than "this game SUX because I can't shoot 59 every round) and 9 times out of 10 a butt hurt fanboy comes out of the woodwork to tell them to stop whining.  It's honestly ridiculous.  That sort of comment on a post is just as bad a the "this game sux" posts.  It adds zero value and it simply provokes arguments.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

space-cash