Royal Golf Academy

• 14 Replies

Warhawk137

« on: August 05, 2017, 05:21:48 AM »
So, since tastegw is closing down his society (Hershey Golf Academy) I'm starting up a replacement with a similar style schedule.  It's called Royal Golf Academy, and it's now active on PC.

Home Course: Royal Ethalwind
Entry Fee: 100

Here is the schedule he was using.  I'm interested to see whether people are enjoying the True Tuesday events (it's not my cup of tea, but if people like them I'll keep them going).  I'm also inclined to switch the Friday events from no aids to aids, since as it is, Friday is the only "tough" weekday on the schedule so the only opportunity for a challenging event with aids allowed would be the weekend opens.

Schedule:
Monday events: Bloody Monday - playing a course from the front tees with all aids allowed, 1 round
Tuesday events: True Tuesday - playing a course from one of the middle tees with said aids disallowed (see above), 1 round
Wednesday events: White Wednesday - playing a course from the white tees (if avail, otherwise the 2nd to front) with all aids allowed, 1 round
Thursday events: Odd Thursday - playing a non traditional style course, from fantasy to par 3, to mini golf, to 9 holes, all aids allowed, mixed rounds depending on course
Friday events: Black Friday - playing a tough course from the tips with said aids disallowed (see above), 1 round
Weekend events: Random named Opens - playing a 4 round event with all aids allowed, twice the entry fee as daily events.

I've donated enough to level it up to level 5, but we'll be using some of the entry fees toward that until we can get to level 10.  We'll be doing fundraising events starting Monday, through Friday, with 1k entry with 0 purse, while the final event is going on in Hershey Golf Academy.  Feel free to join whenever you want if you have a slot, or hop over after playing in that.  Not doing the structured schedule for the first week, just going to do five 1-round events, which will be played on 4 really good courses (in my estimation) and my own course.  Next weekend will be a 4-round event at the home course, Royal Ethalwind, at which point we'll be starting the regular schedule.  For the time being I did throw up a preseason hackaround event at Sand Quentin (which is a fun but kinda silly course) for this weekend in case anyone decides to show up early.  Entry fees for our regular schedule will depend on how this week goes in terms of fundraising.

Any and all suggestions for courses are welcome, especially if you've got a good idea for the Odd Thursday events.  I'm going to try to include a lot of the Summer Showdown entries on the schedule too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:18:28 PM by Warhawk137 »

Mrooola

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »
The no-aids events was the best events in his society imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

New South Flower Golf & CC
The Copse @ Malkie Coast
Aij Kee Ahh Hideaway 9 Hole
Demon Host GC
Carolina Low GC
Cul de Sac GC
Unfinished Sympathy GG
Little Bird Trails
Silent Ivy Hotel, Nattavaara, SE

Warhawk137

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
Dropped the entry fees for the remaining events for the week down to 500 since we don't have a ton of people yet and I don't want to make the handful of people that have switched over have to finance everything.

Warhawk137

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:27:47 AM »
I'll have to set it up tomorrow since if you try to set it up too late in the evening it doesn't let you create 1-day events, but here will be the courses for the first week of events:

Bloody Monday: Granite Pass Golf Club
True Sim Tuesday: Clube Olimpico Rocinha
White Wednesday: Katokosmos Golf Club
Odd Thursday: Propellor Island Archipelago
Black Friday: Merion East Golf Club
Weekend Open: Mandolin Walk Golf & Country Club

Note I'm going to allow aids for the Friday event.  Might float a second true sim day between Monday/Wednesday/Friday in future weeks, but I don't want Friday to always be without aids.

Warhawk137

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
Next week's events are up.

For Tuesday I turned off the grids, club suggestion, and set the distance to range.  Opinions going forward on the scout cam and wind?

At least until we get to level 10 we'll be going with 200 coin entry fees with 50% purses for the weekday events, and 500 coin entry fees with 50% purses for the weekend events.

Donations still welcome.  May have to do a fundraiser event or two in the future as well, if we don't get much in the way of donations.

Also, course suggestions are still welcome too, especially for anything that might qualify for Odd Thursday.  Also good are courses that play interestingly from the reds for Monday, and courses you think are fair in True Sim settings for Tuesday.  Plus obviously anything you think is really good, especially if it's a course that might get overlooked in favor of some of the more popular options.

Note that two of the courses on this week's schedule, Katokosmos and Mandolin Walk, are entries in the Summer Showdown design contest on the TGCT forums.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:02:35 AM by Warhawk137 »

Thrangar

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »
So did Taste ever say why he was closing down?
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

Warhawk137

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »

Over on the TGCT forums, he said he basically wasn't happy with the game (designer crashes, patch messing up his swing, skepticism over the ability to ensure fair play).

Warhawk137

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
Oh, and by the way folks, remember that this weekend is a 4-round event at Royal Ethalwind, the home course of the society.

And today's final kickoff week event is on my own course, Mahamba.

Thrangar

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

Over on the TGCT forums, he said he basically wasn't happy with the game (designer crashes, patch messing up his swing, skepticism over the ability to ensure fair play).

Ok that seems to be the trend , most of the societies I am in have had huge member drop-offs I thought it was maybe because everyone headed over to TGCT... but I was also thinking it was because the were no forth coming adjustments to how you can run a society in the next patch...unless I missed something
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

SAM

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »
Thanks for doing this Warhawk & thanks for selecting my Mandolin Walk as the 19th & 20th August weekend Major.
I was a member of Hershey's but left & stopped reading the thread as tastegw has blocked me on all forums & even unfriended me on the Steam network.  ::)
Shame as it was one of the best societies out there..... I will join your Royal GA & donate some coinage though.... good luck with it.  :)

"Long you live and high you fly,
but only if you ride the tide,
balanced on the biggest wave,
you race toward an early grave."

Warhawk137

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »
OK, I've selected next week's courses, I'll set up the events tomorrow morning.  Note that if I don't state a pin set it will be pin set 1 (for Tuesday, Thursday, and Weekend events, if I don't state tees, they'll be tips).  They will be:

Bloody Monday: Emerald Lake GC
True Sim Tuesday: Mein-Notchurs Municipal G.C.
White Wednesday: El Dorado Hills G & CC
Odd Thursday: Famous Par 3s (9 holes, 2 rounds, Blue Tees, Pins 1 & 2) (and before anyone asks, yes, the 9th hole really does exist)
Black Friday: Chambers Bay (Par 71) (Pin 3)
Weekend Open: Pewter Dunes (Black Tees)

Scarpacci suggested that we go with all aids off except green grids and shot suggestion for Tuesday; any objections?

Warhawk137

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
For Tuesday I'm going to leave the other putting options on too (putting camera, putting marker) which I feel are kind of necessary (but the putting marker will be Marker Only, so no distance on the marker).

So wind speed, scout cam, and lie grid will be off and measurement mode will be range. We'll see what people think of the event then go from there.

Warhawk137

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
Also note that the White Wednesday at El Dorado will actually be from the blue tees, which are the middle tees on that course.

Warhawk137

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
And here's the week 3 courses:

Bloody Monday: Carolina Shores
True Sim Tuesday: Empress Hills
White Wednesday: Roseland Hills CC
Odd Thursday: Legendary Par 3s
Black Friday: The Whitefang
Weekend Open: Burrowing Owl Golf Club

Kronis

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 03:48:44 AM »
Just saw this thread, I went ahead and donated $10k to the bank. Let me know if I can be of any help. I was unaware of Tastegw shutting his down.

space-cash