CLV Course Review Society

• 17 Replies

theclv24

« on: August 07, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
In a brilliant marketing move, I've decided to enter the already saturated society market!

Honestly, I couldn't find the type of society I was looking for (not that I looked SUPER hard), so I decided to do my own. There is absolutely nothing special to it, and I probably don't really know what I'm doing, but oh well:
- 1 round tournaments
- 2 days to finish, because I'm slow
- A rotation of new courses and old courses to play
- A chance to plug one of my courses in every once in awhile
- Course reviews will continue to be posted on the blog: blog.tgctours.com/

If you aren't already maxed out on societies and want to slip in an occasional casual round, stop on by.

theclv24

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »
Because I don't like when societies neglect to post their schedule online, here are the upcoming events so far:

Aug 7-8 - Bicho de Sete Cabecas
Aug 9-10 - Topaz Lagoon
Aug 11-12 - St. Andrews Links - Old Course

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:51:20 PM »
Nice, I'm in!  First course is a joke but I'll power through it.

theclv24

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:51:03 PM »
Scarpacci took the first event on his home course, which turned out to be a challenging course. Look for the review at blog.tgctours.com within the next 7 days or so.

Next we move to Topaz Lagoon. After logging my round, it appears I have selected another challenging course. Not my intention, I just take them as they come. The 3rd event at St. Andrews should provide a nice break.

Look for 3 new events to be posted either tomorrow or Friday.

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 04:31:15 AM »
feels good to come out on top of such a deep field. Just the beginning folks.  there's a new sheriff in town!

theclv24

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:09:11 PM »
Next three venues will be:

Aug 13: Chico's Mansion, Winter
Aug 14-15: Taby Golfklubb
Aug 16-17: Silent Ivy Hotel

Edit: I sorted out the dates and added them here. Chico's Mansion will be a one day event due to being a 9 hole par 3.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:34:19 PM by theclv24 »

theclv24

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
I've added one more event for the weekend of the 18th-20th. It's a member-guest tournament at Magnolia National.

Full disclosure, I don't actually know what a member-guest tournament entails, but I guess it would go something like this:
- 2 rounds at Magnolia National from the Member tees, which are only 6300 yards
-3 days to play
- Rounds are handicapped

I don't know how this will go, but I figured it would be a different experience, and some new people might have a chance at winning.

theclv24

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »
Two wins in a row for KenTremendous, with a runaway victory at the Old Course and a narrow one stroke victory on the par 3. Ken moves into 1st place in points, and I've managed to scratch out a 2nd place standing so far.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this handicap tournament at Magnolia turns out. If it shakes the leaderboard up a bit, I'll probably at two more single rounders for midweek next week, and then another handicap match to follow. Maybe stableford this time?

theclv24

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »
Alright, I think I am settling in to a regular schedule for the society. It would go something like this:

Mon-Tue: 1-round event showcasing a course from a new, upcoming, or an off the radar designer
Wed-Thurs: 1-round event at a course getting high ratings, by a well regarded designer, or at a high profile RCR
Fri-Sun: A 2-round event where I play with the format. This could be like the Magnolia member guest at one of my RCR's, it could be handicapped, not handicapped, stableford, different tees, etc. I don't know exactly what this will look like, so I will just try to come up with something fun each week. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Magnolia event goes to use as a barometer going forward.

I'll take a look at my list this afternoon and set up the next two events for next week, and I'll wait until after this weekend to decide on next weekend's event.

lastchancehombre

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
I'm assuming that since this is in the PC thread that it's PC players only? And are you only reviewing courses created on PC or are you including console created courses in your reviews? Just curious.
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

TGC 2019 releases

Woodley Island Golf Club
The Dunes Course at Stone Lagoon
Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

theclv24

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 12:58:14 PM »
I'm assuming that since this is in the PC thread that it's PC players only? And are you only reviewing courses created on PC or are you including console created courses in your reviews? Just curious.

Yes, societies are platform specific, and I'm on PC, so this is for PC only. I've put out feelers on the blog for anyone to create a mirroring society on PS4 or Xbox, but no response so far. Judging by what I've seen from other societies, I'm not sure the mirrored societies would get many members anyways.

Courses are not platform specific, so they do not need to be PC designed for me to review them.

lastchancehombre

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »

Yes, societies are platform specific, and I'm on PC, so this is for PC only. I've put out feelers on the blog for anyone to create a mirroring society on PS4 or Xbox, but no response so far. Judging by what I've seen from other societies, I'm not sure the mirrored societies would get many members anyways.

Courses are not platform specific, so they do not need to be PC designed for me to review them.

I assumed that was the case but thanks for the clarification! Was pretty much wondering if you'd planned on multi-platforming as some have. Anyway thanks & good luck!
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

TGC 2019 releases

Woodley Island Golf Club
Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

theclv24

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
Another new winner last event in Lou. Pretty good parity so far. I've managed to maintain a 3rd place position, mostly by playing the most events. I'm never in contention in a full field though, so I guess I'm this society's Alex Noren.

I played the first round at Magnolia and was terrible. You would think I would know where not to miss regardless of tee, but apparently that is not the case. I'm way out of contention. I do like the way the leaderboard is shaken up, anyways.

theclv24

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
A surprise come from behind win for charlie mattax at Magnolia. Nicely done!

I noticed that a number of the usual contenders either did not finish or did not play. Before I get to asking how folks feel about the handicapped event, I have to offer my praise to those who finish non-handicap events each week despite not being even remotely in contention. Without knowing all of the circumstances, I would hope that some of the regular contenders could finish handicap events when not in contention in the same manner.

So a two-parter on the Magnolia event. How did you like playing handicap, and how did you like playing forward tees on a real course? I liked seeing the new names on the leaderboard, so I think I might be a fan of the handicap. I don't know how I feel about playing forward on the real course, or at least all the way forward. I guess my thoughts are that there are enough events out there at RCR's played at full length, so it's a change of pace. I'm willing to hear all thoughts, though.

I'll also take suggestions for a potential major event at any point. Type of course, how many rounds, prize money? Everything is in play.

For next weekend's event I was looking to do a Stableford event, until I realized that is not an option. Very nice. So my next thought was to do a handicapped event at one of reebdoog's higher rated courses. I tried The Homestead and Warrior Ridge, but because they had to be republished due to the changing par bug, neither one was handicap rated. A double very nice for HB here.

I settled on a course on my list, Glenelg, that is a reversible course. So we will have one round in one direction, played on Fri-Sat, and then one round in the opposite direction on Sunday. Full schedule additions are below:

Aug 25-26: Glenelg, Black (I think Black, I'm away from the game right now)
Aug 27: Glenelg, Red
Aug 28-29: Sunningdale Old
Aug 30-31: Devon Quarry

bob5453

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
I was one of the new names, but I also don't like handicap tourneys, I didn't look at the pre-tourney setup. I had two 1's register and thought the game was scoring incorrectly. :) I'm not a fan of red tees in tourneys and would prefer playing either of the 2 longer tees. 
My TGC 2019 courses
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Roy Rogers Happy Trails 2019
Gilligan's Island Par 3 2019
The Big Valley 2019

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

space-cash