Author Topic: Wow distance IS everyhing  (Read 285 times)

ADX321

• GroupMember
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

MERACE

• golf-beta
Re: Wow distance IS everyhing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:58:03 PM »
I'm just curious...if they changed the equipment rules to reduce spin (grooves) why would they not also change the equipment rules for drivers and golf balls to limit distance?   ???

Even baseball is looking at reducing or eliminating "juiced" baseballs.  ;)

-MERACE

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »
I'm just curious...if they changed the equipment rules to reduce spin (grooves) why would they not also change the equipment rules for drivers and golf balls to limit distance?   ???

Even baseball is looking at reducing or eliminating "juiced" baseballs.  ;)

-MERACE

Several reasons but the main one is it would negatively impact the average golfer.

So most suggest having two different golf balls - that doesn't feel right either

Ever notice announcers mostly gush about one thing?  length?  It's marketing.  The reason fat white guys buy all nba tickets is to watch Lebron do something they could never dream of.  Same with the PGA Tour.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »
What a finish. 

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »
It's funny seeing whiny dbags like Poutler gripe about it because they know they'd get smoked too

Anything that makes Ian mad is a good thing

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

DDawg

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 11:23:53 PM »
I guess this is like comparing TGC1 to TGC2

The clubs are longer, and put in the right golfers hands, it is borderline unfair for the rest of the field ... then the courses become longer, making it harder for the power hitters and impossible for the average Joe ...

We're seeing it now in both real life and TGC2.

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
I guess this is like comparing TGC1 to TGC2

The clubs are longer, and put in the right golfers hands, it is borderline unfair for the rest of the field ... then the courses become longer, making it harder for the power hitters and impossible for the average Joe ...

We're seeing it now in both real life and TGC2.

Adding length does not make it harder for longer hitters - it makes it easier

Augusta tried Tiger proofing Augusta, and eliminated half the field and made it easier for him

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »
Personally, what I'm trying to do with my designs is make them easy for everyone if they don't get greedy.  I'm also trying to add a little extra challenge for the players using tour clubs by tightening up landing zones further out.  Making holes longer would penalize the people using standard or player clubs more than the tour club guys. 
i7 6700k Skylake
Asus Maximus VIII
64 GB G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 RAM
Evga GTX 1080 SC GPU
OCZ Trion 480 GB SSD.
49" Sony 4K 3840X2160
Xbox One Elite Controller
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
PS4 Pro

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:22:40 AM »
Dustin barely scraped a par out on 18 on the 72nd hole.  Then the wind switched, which made the shortcut available for the playoff.  295 carry.  He carried it 310 downwind and got rewarded with a wedge in.   

He also almost won the US open at chambers over Spieth with a similar flash of power, but the putting neutralized him. 

Dustin would be significantly longer than the field with any equipment roll back.  The only point would be to keep courses from running out of room and having to waste money moving the fences back.  But the guy is a specimen. 

DDawg

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »
I like the idea to punish the long hitter with accuracy ... let him bomb the long ball if he wants to, and the price if he is not able to be accurate, he finds just as much trouble as the shorter hitters.

To me, the game should be about "Thinking your shot and course management", not your ability to out-drive you opponents by 50 plus yards, or more, 14 times off the tee (700 yards or more) ...

That is why players like Spieth do so well. Mental toughness and fantastic iron control.

I rather watch 32 players of Spieth's caliber over any Dustin, or Rory ... And both of those guys fear Spieth's mental prowlness ...

However, Speith has his flaws too ... he lets his game get to him with quick temperament that is distracting.  I disliked Tiger for his emotional outbursts ...

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 02:18:56 PM »
I like the idea to punish the long hitter with accuracy ... let him bomb the long ball if he wants to, and the price if he is not able to be accurate, he finds just as much trouble as the shorter hitters.

To me, the game should be about "Thinking your shot and course management", not your ability to out-drive you opponents by 50 plus yards, or more, 14 times off the tee (700 yards or more) ...

That is why players like Spieth do so well. Mental toughness and fantastic iron control.

I rather watch 32 players of Spieth's caliber over any Dustin, or Rory ... And both of those guys fear Spieth's mental prowlness ...

However, Speith has his flaws too ... he lets his game get to him with quick temperament that is distracting.  I disliked Tiger for his emotional outbursts ...

Spieth and mental prowess? lol

Those guys fear nothing about Jordan Spieth

None of them fears anything except the taxman and tmz

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 02:44:30 PM »

How many Majors has Spieth won?

How many have DJ, Day, and others with the exception of McIlroy?

ONE.

Wake us up when your long hitters have surpassed Spieth and other "short hitters".

Current PC:
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X - LGA 1151
i7 7700K Kaby Lake 4.5 GHZ CPU
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
HP Omen 32" 1440p@75hz
480GB OCZ AMD Radeon R7 2.5" 7mm Internal SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Xbox One Elite Controller

DDawg

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »

Well, if Dustin didn't pull a putt out his ass, Sunday on 18, to force a playoff hole, then a super drive off the tee ... he may have fallen victim to Spieth yet again ... as it turned out he had a great second shot, 3 feet from the pin and Spieth left his second on the fringe ...

FRSTDWN

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »
YAWN

What about the long drive champions? Do not see many of them on tour? I wonder why.

TST TOUR MEMBER
SIM PLAYER
XB1

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 11:56:02 PM »
National long drive champ vs national putt putt champ would be an interesting pay per view matchup. 

space-cash