"Adjusted Score"?

• 6 Replies

Royce

« on: October 16, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »
After the patch now on XB1 John continually says "your adjusted score" after completing a hole.  Why?  I'm playing with total score as always, there's no "adjustments" to be made, scoring is in relation to par.  Now it seems to default to net score.

Can a dev please comment on why this occurs now?  Also you used to be able to change the score displayed in the GUI, which now appears to be gone.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:08:41 PM by Royce »
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

DirtyHarry3033

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
I started experiencing this same problem Tuesday Oct 17th. I'm playing on XB1, I installed the latest TGC2 patch on Fri Oct 13th, and my handicap rating is +4.6. I have NEVER played with handicapped scoring on, and before yesterday I have NEVER had "John" announce my "adjusted score" after finishing a hole. I have been playing this game almost every day since Day One (I pre-ordered) and this has only just started happening.

In my case this seems to happen only when resuming a saved round. When starting a new round the scoring is NOT adjusted for as long as I do not exit the round in any way. But if I quit the round then later continue, guess what? When I get back in the game I now have a "total" and a "net" score, and if I scored a birdie on certain holes (I don't play or follow real golf and don't understand the handicapping at all...) my scorecard now shows a par on those holes. Likewise if I score a par on certain holes the scorecard shows a bogey. It's ADDING a stroke to what I shot.

More experimentation revealed something else. I was curious to see if the problem occurred only on "official" courses, or also on user-created courses. So I tried starting new rounds on my two favorite user-created courses, playing a hole or two then quitting and resuming the rounds.

I tried Augusta National V2.0 and as expected the round began with non-handicapped scoring. I played a few holes, quit to the menu and then continued the round. When I resumed, the round still used non-handicapped scoring and displayed Total score instead of Net score.

I then tried a new round on Pinehurst #2 and as usual, non-handicapped scoring was being used. After a few holes I quit the round then resumed. This time it was back to handicapped scoring with my Net score displayed in the HUD instead of Total score, and boxes on the scorecard for both Total and Net.

What was the difference? Augusta National V2.0 has been played only 201 times. It has no Difficulty or Handicap rating. (I'm assuming these ratings are assigned only after the course has been played a certain # of times...) Pinehurst #2 has been played 2 or 3 thousand times and DOES have both a Difficulty and Handicap rating. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of $$$ that ANY course with difficulty & handicap ratings will exhibit this bug, whereas those without will NOT.

Just for a laugh, I tried another new round on the unrated Augusta National, this time with handicapped scoring ENABLED in the menu before starting the game. The 1st thing I noticed was the score display in the HUD was labelled "Net" instead of "Total." The 2nd thing I noticed, before teeing off on hole 1 was that the score in the scorecard was labelled "Total" and there was no "Net" score box shown on the lower right of the scorecard. The 3rd thing I noticed was that there was no "+" in any of the score boxes for various holes as there were on the scorecard for Pinehurst #2. I'm assuming that the "+" indicates a hole for which a handicap adjustment will be made. As I said earlier, I am 100% ignorant about golf handicapping. The ONLY thing that changed by enabling handicapped scoring for a non-handicap rated course was the label for the scorebox in the HUD. The scorecard itself looked EXACTLY the same as it would for a game without handicapping enabled.

I also tried resuming a career round I had in progress, and handicapped scoring was NOT suddenly applied to my career round. This round was on the official "Scrublands" course which DOES have a difficulty & handicap rating. So clearly whatever is going on does NOT affect career mode games.

I have tried quitting and restarting TGC2 and this did not correct the problem.

I have tried quitting TGC2, then rebooting the XB1 and this also did not fix it.

I have also tried starting, quitting and resuming a round AFTER rebooting XB1 with no effect.

I have NOT tried uninstalling/reinstalling TGC2. That would be a last resort, I don't want to lose all the coins I've worked so hard to win.

This is unacceptable. If I want handicapped scoring (I don't) I think I have enough brains to turn it on myself when I start a new game.

Like Royce, I would like to know what is going on here. Frankly, this has totally ruined my enjoyment of the game and if it is not corrected quickly I will have no choice but to find another game to play. I can't say for certain that the latest patch has anything to do with this. I played several rounds a day for the 1st four days after patching without experiencing this issue (the 13th thru the 16th) but I cannot say for certain that I quit and later resumed any of these rounds. It may well be (though not likely) that I played all of those rounds straight through, and this issue seems to occur only if you quit a round and then later resume it. Once you do that, handicapped scoring is in effect for the rest of the round, apparently provided the course being played has a difficulty and handicap rating.

Royce pointed out that with the latest patch, the ability to select between displaying Net or Total score in the HUD had been removed. I can't help but wonder, if this is the case, if some code affecting the scoring method used for the currently-active round was removed. Obviously, when the round is begun it uses the scoring method selected for the round. But perhaps when resuming a saved round it defaults to "Handicapped" and then the method selected for the round when it was started is restored in the code that controlled the score type displayed in the HUD (which was apparently removed)? Just a thought...

Is anyone besides Royce and I experiencing this problem? If so PLEASE chime in.

To the devs - I have a love/hate relationship with this game and this new problem is pushing me to the "hate" side. Please let me know what is going on, and get it sorted out so when I play a round with handicapped scoring off, it will STAY off even if I quit the round and later resume it. I don't always have time to finish a round - the ability to resume a round later was one of the things I loved most about the game. Most of all I hate seeing strokes ADDED to my score.

Forgive the length of this, I just want to provide as much info as possible.

Thanks!

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
Thanks for the messages.  I forwarded over your messages for the devs to take a look.   

DirtyHarry3033

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply Keith. I found a post by another user mentioning what I think is the same problem, with same symptoms.

The post is by a new user Jobu, with one post. The topic is "Handicap question (apologies if this has already been covered)" and it was posted on Oct 4th. I'm pretty sure this was before the latest TGC2 patch came out for XB1. But I think the latest patch was released for PC by that time. Maybe Jobu is playing on PC?

I'm new here so I don't know if I can post a link to Jobu's post but I'll try.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=21781.msg268787#msg268787

If that doesn't work you can search for "Handicap" by user Jobu and find it quickly, since he has only one post.

Hope this additional info will help :) Thanks again for the response!

DirtyHarry3033

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
I was curious as to whether the "Handicapped Scoring" flag was being set to "Yes" when this problem occurs but didn't know how to check it. I finally thought of a way I might be able to find out this afternoon.

I started a new round at Knoll Down Golf Club and verified that Handicapped Scoring was set to "No" under Round Rules. I started the round and teed off, verified that the scorecard & HUD showed only "Total Score" then selected "Quit" from the pause menu. I then resumed the game and as always since this started, the HUD showed "Net" score, and there were entries for both "Total" and "Net" score on the scorecard.

I then selected "Course Details" from the pause menu and hit "Restart Round". When I returned to the round setup screen, "Handicapped Scoring" under "Round Rules" was set to "Yes" whereas it had been set to "No" when I created the round. All other options were unchanged. Clearly there is a flag indicating the scoring method used for the round, and even though it starts out as "No" when the round is created, it is getting set to "Yes" after quitting then resuming the round. Of course I have no way of knowing if the scoring method flag in the saved round data is somehow being changed from "No" to "Yes" when you quit the round and the save file is written, or if it is saved as "No" when the save file is written and somehow being changed to "Yes" in the game code after loading the save data and resuming. But I'm sure it's one or the other.

Next I checked to see if the "Handicapped Scoring" option was being carried over to a newly-created game on a different course. I created a new round on a course I have not played in a couple of months, and "Handicapped Scoring" was set to "No".

I then created a new round on Knoll Down Golf Club and "Handicapped Scoring" was again set to "No" by default. So clearly at some point after continuing a saved round the handicapped scoring flag is set to "Yes" and this persists if the round is restarted, but it is reset to "No" if a new round is created as opposed to restarting the current round.

Let me extend my apologies to the devs for putting my nose in where it has no business, i.e. trying to figure out where this bug is coming from. My only excuse is that I earned my living as a computer programmer (business software, not games) for a quarter century before retiring, and to this day when I encounter a bug I have an almost uncontrollable urge to figure out what is going on to the best of my ability.

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »
Don't have to apologize for writing out a well thought out and informative post.  It is very helpful and appreciated.

SassyLady

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »
This isn't just on XBOX. It happens on PC as well. In a casual round, I never use handicapped scoring but on resuming the round, it is enabled and John gives me my total adjusted score. I have video proof, if you'd like to see it.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club
TPC Mactan Hills (Regular and Tour Editions)

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club
Mactan Hills Country Club

TGC 1
Bonner Point Golf Resort (Championship)
Tri-Lakes Golf and Fishing Resort

space-cash