TGC2 Opinion

• 48 Replies

alantoft

« on: November 01, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »
Firstly I will say that this is just my opinion so.
I have played TGC from day one and have enjoyed playing and designing courses for my own use.
I have in the last week purchased TGC2 with the intention of sharing some of my courses but after less than 2 hours play with TGC2 I decided to get a refund.
In my opinion the quality of the graphics and the gameplay in general is so far inferior to TGC that I decided to stay with TGC.
I must admit that I was disappointed with TGC2 and I think that this must the first time I have found the original to be better than the upgrade.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »
I wonder if you didn't adjust the graphics settings correctly within TGC2.  Some people had that happen after an update. 

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:27:26 PM »
I remember some of your excellent course creations (Carnoustie) in PGA Championship Golf 2000 and was hoping you would release a course for TGC or TGC2.   8)

What specifically do you not like about the gameplay in TGC2? 

-MERACE

rdh

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:39:56 PM »
I didn't buy TGC2 until October...and I haven't played it much since buying.  If you're not really into the concept of societies or the way club sets/gameplay were handled, then it isn't a leap forward.  I'm no authority and I doubt anyone cares what I say, but in my opinion it would have been a bigger progression if the new version had focused on:

- multiple tees / pins (that's the biggest win in TGC2 from my opinion)
- updated graphics including improved bunkers
- more online game modes (scramble, skins, etc.) with some sort of lobby to find players

Maybe TGC3.

Hugh Jass Koda

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 05:55:31 AM »
I have to agree with the opinions expressed here so far.  The graphics look terrible mostly because antialiasing does not apply in TGC2.  I know many will say it does but it absolutely does not on my GTX 1070.  I have brought this to HBS's attention with all the documentation proving it is not working but all I have gotten from them was a one time response of "We will look into it."  To that I say, take your time HB.  It's no problem that the game looks like complete crap.  I like looking at horrible jagged lines everywhere that make the scene look all sparkly when ever there is ANY movement!

This game is very boring already!  VERY LITTLE TO DO IN IT!  Multiplayer is pathetic, basically non existent really!  I play 99% of the time by myself because multiplayer is so lacking!  To that I say, no problem HB!  You lied in the pre-release live streams you did on Twitch when you were asked what game modes TGC2 had in it and you answered with "All the same modes you have now in TGC.  Stroke, match, fourball, stableford.  All the same modes you have now."  I was pleased to see that was all lies when I got my game and found out it barely has a working stoke game mode only!  I was even more pleased to see multiplayer was so lacking!  But what really made me the happiest was when you really stripped the already lacking multiplayer and took away the ability to send a friend an invite to join you in a game!  So take as long as you want HBS to add multiplayer like you said the game already had but really doesn't.

I can't wait to see what gets removed from the game with the next update!
My Course:   White Mountains Country Club

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
I have to agree with the opinions expressed here so far.  The graphics look terrible mostly because antialiasing does not apply in TGC2.  I know many will say it does but it absolutely does not on my GTX 1070.  I have brought this to HBS's attention with all the documentation proving it is not working but all I have gotten from them was a one time response of "We will look into it."  To that I say, take your time HB.  It's no problem that the game looks like complete crap.  I like looking at horrible jagged lines everywhere that make the scene look all sparkly when ever there is ANY movement!

This game is very boring already!  VERY LITTLE TO DO IN IT!  Multiplayer is pathetic, basically non existent really!  I play 99% of the time by myself because multiplayer is so lacking!  To that I say, no problem HB!  You lied in the pre-release live streams you did on Twitch when you were asked what game modes TGC2 had in it and you answered with "All the same modes you have now in TGC.  Stroke, match, fourball, stableford.  All the same modes you have now."  I was pleased to see that was all lies when I got my game and found out it barely has a working stoke game mode only!  I was even more pleased to see multiplayer was so lacking!  But what really made me the happiest was when you really stripped the already lacking multiplayer and took away the ability to send a friend an invite to join you in a game!  So take as long as you want HBS to add multiplayer like you said the game already had but really doesn't.

I can't wait to see what gets removed from the game with the next update!

AA works just fine on my 1080 GTX Ti......
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

BSmooth13

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
People not seeing AA may have to go into NVIDIA control panel and set AA to "Override Application Setting." That's what I have to do, at least. Can't explain why, because FXAA is turned on in game, but if I leave the NVIDIA setting to Auto or Enhance it just doesn't work.

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
People not seeing AA may have to go into NVIDIA control panel and set AA to "Override Application Setting." That's what I have to do, at least. Can't explain why, because FXAA is turned on in game, but if I leave the NVIDIA setting to Auto or Enhance it just doesn't work.

Mine works without doing that.

That being said, I have AA turned off as I am playing at 4K and it is not needed at all at that resolution.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

mebby

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
I'm happy to post a video showing that AA works.  You can toggle it and see the differences right on the main screen.  Are there still some jaggies?  Yes.  But does AA work to reduce those jaggies?  Absolutely.

It's really not even debatable.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
Firstly I will say that this is just my opinion so.
I have played TGC from day one and have enjoyed playing and designing courses for my own use.
I have in the last week purchased TGC2 with the intention of sharing some of my courses but after less than 2 hours play with TGC2 I decided to get a refund.
In my opinion the quality of the graphics and the gameplay in general is so far inferior to TGC that I decided to stay with TGC.
I must admit that I was disappointed with TGC2 and I think that this must the first time I have found the original to be better than the upgrade.

Alan, as a seasoned golf game veteran and course designer, your opinion carries a lot of weight.  I respect it, but this being a subjective matter, I disagree with you on two counts. 

First, the graphics.  I find the graphics to be superior, overall, to TGC1.  I think the texture variety is a bit better and also find the course objects (houses, buildings, structures, stands, towers) to be more realistic looking.  The golfer animations not only look better, they're more fluidly animation and integrate with the swing interface better... at least IMHO>

Secondly, the gameplay.  I quit playing TGC 1 after about a year because I found the swing interface to be so one dimensional and unengaging.  TGC 2's swing interface that requires a tempo component is just enough to keep the game from getting stale for me.  I think it could be a lot better, as I still think Links 2004's Advance swing on the original Xbox still has the most compelling rhythm requirement swing interface.  I wish HB Studios could buy the rights to that part of the the Links 2004 interface and put it in TGC 2. 

I'm not a big fan of the lighting in TGC 2, as I still find it tends to impose a lot of washout and glare.  Lighting conditions that show of the course the best, IMO, all too often cause an annoying glare coming off my golfer.

I appreciate your sharing your views on it though.  It helps me further understand that I'm probably in a minority who think TGC 2 is a better game than its forerunner.  I still play TGC 2 almost every day, but I also notice the numbers playing the game aren't what they were in TGC 1, and they seem to be trickling off quicker than they did in TGC 1.  I feel a bit guilty that I've got a game that comes closer to playing and looking the way I want a golf game to look, yet many people I respect are so quickly turned off by it.  Whoever said "There's no accounting for tastes" many centuries ago was right.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

stan_solo

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:08 PM »
yep .. graphics are better  ... it's Unity ... what do they expect

stan_solo

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »
yet many people I respect are so quickly turned off by it. 

the abandonment of tours and gaping holes in multiplayer has left a sour taste   

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 12:48:28 AM »

The multiplayer in this game left an unbelievably sour taste in my mouth.  Not only is the live match play not an option, the stroke play is difficulty to sync, and if you get it synced, keep it synced.  I also miss the Tour option, but the Society tournaments keep it from being as big of a void as the broken/missing multiplayer.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

RHINO4LIFE

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »
I didn't buy TGC2 until October...and I haven't played it much since buying.  If you're not really into the concept of societies or the way club sets/gameplay were handled, then it isn't a leap forward.  I'm no authority and I doubt anyone cares what I say, but in my opinion it would have been a bigger progression if the new version had focused on:

- multiple tees / pins (that's the biggest win in TGC2 from my opinion)
- updated graphics including improved bunkers
- more online game modes (scramble, skins, etc.) with some sort of lobby to find players

Maybe TGC3.
Agreed....without SERIOUS changes towards what tgc1 had this game and community will continue to shrivel up and die.  Societies was the biggest error in judgement by a mile

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »

The multiplayer in this game left an unbelievably sour taste in my mouth.  Not only is the live match play not an option, the stroke play is difficulty to sync, and if you get it synced, keep it synced.  I also miss the Tour option, but the Society tournaments keep it from being as big of a void as the broken/missing multiplayer.

I havent played in months because I just missed having a good live multiplayer option that worked and seemed connected..   I think I swept not having multiplayer under the rug with tgc1 for so long that by the time TGC2 came out and they stripped away so many options when they indeed should of added them,  I checked out because of frustration....   

As much as I love my golf games,  I refuse to play a game that can't seem to enter the new millineaum...  They have made so very very poor decisions,  and that started with Anthony Kyne (whom I admire) Anthony always took stabs at live multiplayer and tried to justify why it was too expensive and not worth adding...   

I tried to tell HB that not having a good live multiplayer lobby was going to hurt them and I believe I was right.   Not only am I not playing tgc2,  I won't be buying Hb's golf games again until they invest resources in the things that matter most.    They can say they did all day long,  but I'm not buying it....
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

space-cash