TGC2 Opinion

• 48 Replies

mebby

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »
The water flicker (as Divot stated) is not due to poor AA.  It's due to the fact that the surface is overly sharp.  It needs some serious softening.

The lighting in this game and the water surfaces still warrant some more work.  I'm appreciate of the efforts made thus far to address the lighting because it was abysmal on release.  It's now in the acceptable range but many times things are still far too washed out.  The water, on the other hand, needs some love.

I'd put ALL those on the backburner though and focus on the more pressing MP issues.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

Coggin66

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
The water flicker (as Divot stated) is not due to poor AA.  It's due to the fact that the surface is overly sharp.  It needs some serious softening.

The lighting in this game and the water surfaces still warrant some more work.  I'm appreciate of the efforts made thus far to address the lighting because it was abysmal on release.  It's now in the acceptable range but many times things are still far too washed out.  The water, on the other hand, needs some love.

I'd put ALL those on the backburner though and focus on the more pressing MP issues.

I agree about the water. It never stops moving / rippling. You can't get good reflections because it is never still.

They still need to fix the cloudy / overcast / foggy lighting as it either goes too dark to see the course or you get post-wildfire smog.
My courses:
TGC2019
Wavebreak Spit GC
Bhavacakra GC, Nepal
Kakadu Wetlands
Mount Panorama Bathurst 18
Kentash Bay
Propellor Island Archipelago
TGC1 only
Dam Treitaget GC
Barco Rio Desert GC
Highlow Island Links Resort

XB1: Coggin66
President of XB Seniors society

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
This thread, amongst many others, has been the final straw in the camel's coffin for me on deciding to buy/not buy this game. Every year it's the same thing for me, play golf until around Labor Day, get burned out on golf, pick it up again after Christmas/New Year's.
This summer/fall I've been watching the forum to determine whether to buy TGC2 or not. TGC1 required a number of updates to get to near-perfect for me, and it was nearly perfect for me before they messed up the flags with a senseless update.

There's never been a day since the game came out where I thought, I need to get that!
I know this is a PC thread, and I'm on ps4, but that doesn't matter, many of the issues look standard across the board, and possibly worse for ps4, particularly w/the crashing in the designer, etc.
I play single player rounds of golf too, so these multiplayer issues don't even apply, but between the graphics and the issues people are having when they transfer their courses to TGC2, and other things, I'll pass. And in many cases, the graphics look excellent. Some of the courses I've seen on the forum look incredible, but in other cases the lighting and reflections look screwy.  Every time I read something good, I read a bunch of not good too, and it's not the standard complaining people do on forums, it's real issues that I don't want to deal with.

The worst news of all is that since TGC2 came out, new courses on TGC1, at least the advertising of them in the forum, came to a halt. Even worse than that is the tons of TGC2-related posts on the TGC1 threads!! Hey look, a new course! Oh wait, that's a TGC2 course. Arrgh!!

Just in my own observation, a lot of people feel HB changed w/this game. Less accessible, less revealing w/the information, more secrecy. My own opinion was TGC1 was the people's game. Our thoughts and opinions were highly valued, the devs took our feedback really seriously, right from the start. They had a new product to share with us, we were excited, they were excited. When things didn't work right, they had our ear on how to improve it.
Then they got big, signed on w/Maximum Games, and the whole working-together attitude dropped. Hands-tied by Maximum Games, no longer releasing tons of info. They still listen to feedback, and put out updates, but from what I'm reading, the attitude is completely different. The working together with the consumer, the intimate relationship they had with the customer is gone. The TGC1 experience was fun to be a part of. The TGC2 experience is one I won't be.

I'll keep playing TGC1. It's a great game I still thoroughly enjoy. Worth every penny, worth buying a ps4 for.
Not complaining here, just saying that months of research here, listening to trusted voices, I think I'll stick w/TGC1.
(sorry for the long post, 4+ months of thoughts to write out!) :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:02:53 AM by WindyCityWizard »
Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
If you're not bored with the gameplay, switching isn't necessary.   I personally think that TGC2 gameplay is much richer, more realistic, and requires more concentration and practice.   I've fired up TGC1 a couple times and the gameplay feels really one dimensional in comparison. 

Imo, it's a little like arcade vs sim. 

I play on a PC and have only experienced 1 course that got corrupted (on TGC1).  No crashes in the designer and that is where I spend 90% of my time.   

Icyken

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
Windycity , knowing you loved the designer
In tgc , the crashing issues in gc2 have been
mostly fixed by HB , even with legacy courses
that were showing errors in saving, now appear
to be working fine, with added memory you can
add all the extra stuff to your original courses.
I would say for the price of a few beers gc2 is
still a terrific buy and along with tgc they are still
the best two golf games out there IMO.
COURSES.....
 Rosemount. ( members )
 Rosemount. Scotland
 Mac'Dunes , 2020
 Ayrshire Gailes.
 Ayrshire Gailes.  Tour
 Mink Hollow Golf club
 Hermit of Mink Hollow
 Machrihan Dunes, 2019
 Celtic Isles...CGC.
 Helensburgh Golf club
 The Fruin
 Prestwick, Golf club
 Craigendoran Links

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »

Can you go back and forth playing the games though?
From what I've read, people seem to have no interest in going back to TGC1 after playing TGC2, b/c parts of the gameplay are so much better.
I have about 115 favorites on my list. I would guess many/most are probably not ported over.
So if you have no interest in going back/forth between TGC1/TGC2, those would be lost.

Here's the games I currently play: TGC1, TW14, TW11, TW10, TW09.
I can easily switch between the games. Sometimes it takes a few holes to get used to the swing or the putting, or the button layout b/c they're different in different games, but all 5 of those are fun to play, and I can pick up any of those 5 and enjoy a round.

It's not about the $ at all. I basically spent $500 on TGC1, as I bought a ps4 just for TGC.
But the way people talk about the superior gameplay of TGC2, it seems like it makes TGC1 obsolete, which I don't like b/c there's a LOT of excellent TGC1 courses I still want to enjoy.

Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »

From what I've read, people seem to have no interest in going back to TGC1 after playing TGC2, b/c parts of the gameplay are so much better.
I have about 115 favorites on my list. I would guess many/most are probably not ported over.
So if you have no interest in going back/forth between TGC1/TGC2, those would be lost.

I can easily switch between the games. Sometimes it takes a few holes to get used to the swing or the putting, or the button layout b/c they're different in different games, but all 5 of those are fun to play, and I can pick up any of those 5 and enjoy a round.

It's not about the $ at all. I basically spent $500 on TGC1, as I bought a ps4 just for TGC.
But the way people talk about the superior gameplay of TGC2, it seems like it makes TGC1 obsolete, which I don't like b/c there's a LOT of excellent TGC1 courses I still want to enjoy.

TGC2 has rendered TGC1 to the kiddie bin from a gameplay perspective.

If you are not interested in compelling gameplay with a nice learning curve, stick with TGC1.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

mebby

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »

Just in my own observation, a lot of people feel HB changed w/this game. Less accessible, less revealing w/the information, more secrecy. My own opinion was TGC1 was the people's game. Our thoughts and opinions were highly valued, the devs took our feedback really seriously, right from the start. They had a new product to share with us, we were excited, they were excited. When things didn't work right, they had our ear on how to improve it.
Then they got big, signed on w/Maximum Games, and the whole working-together attitude dropped. Hands-tied by Maximum Games, no longer releasing tons of info. They still listen to feedback, and put out updates, but from what I'm reading, the attitude is completely different. The working together with the consumer, the intimate relationship they had with the customer is gone.

Very well put.  I've had similar thoughts.  Not sure if it's true or not but it sure feels this way.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Lots of good stuff.
I put a poll here on flipping between TGC2/TGC1, if anyone would like to participate.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=22056.0
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »

If you are not interested in compelling gameplay with a nice learning curve, stick with TGC1.

Tim maybe you shouldn't be so condescending i mean kiddie  bin.

Condescending?

TGC1 is like shooting fish in a barrel which is what MANY folks say about the game....does that mean they are condescending too? ::)

I call it like I see it.
PC

Xbox One X

mebby

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »

Tim maybe you shouldn't be so condescending i mean kiddie  bin.

Interesting how a guy with 6 posts knows Divot's real name.  LOL!
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

stan_solo

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Then they got big

... hardly           

stan_solo

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »

yep   ... I smell a rat

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »

yep   ... I smell a rat

Tim and I go way back.

I don't recall, but whatever you say.
PC

Xbox One X

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »

yep   ... I smell a rat

Tim and I go way back.

I don't recall, but whatever you say.

Mcjebadia- EA sports Tiger Woods PGA Tours golf.

Yep, recall you now.

How are you?
PC

Xbox One X

space-cash