Poll

Would you be willing to pay $10 for an XBox One X Enhanced DLC for TGC 2?

Yes
26 (81.3%)
No
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

XBox One X Enhanced DLC

• 104 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »
Without a doubt I would pay to get a 4K/HDR upgrade!

After drooling over the 55" LG OLED55B7A and the TCL 55P605 55" 4K HDTVs at Best Buy yesterday, I was better able to envison how much of a facelift The Golf Club 2 could get from the 4K HDR treatment.  I'm now sold on the TCL at $599.99, as I couldn't see anywhere near $1,000 worth of difference between the LG OLED and the TCL 55" backlit LED in image quality.  Yes the LG OLED had an image that looked more pure, but if they weren't side by side, I'd have a harder time seeing the difference.

Forza 7, Madden 18, and NBA 2K18 alone will make the 4K HDR leap worth the admission price alone, but dang... it would be world changing to see TGC 2 be in that club!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:29:47 PM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

HeMan

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
Yeah, after a $500 XB1X and a $1500 TV, I think I can dole out $10 to play the game that takes up 75% or more of my gaming time in 4K.  :D

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
Yeah, after a $500 XB1X and a $1500 TV, I think I can dole out $10 to play the game that takes up 75% or more of my gaming time in 4K.  :D

Your percentage sounds similar to mine, although I'd say TGC 2 gets maybe 65% of my gaming time.  Let me ask you this HeMan, can you see any benefit from the upscaling the XBox One X/Samsung UHD 4K combo does for TGC 2?  I would probably have to see the game side by side on a 1080p display and a 4K display in which it was being upscaled to spot the difference, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's had the luxury of an A/B comparison.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 01:59:33 PM »
I have said it before but you can tell a difference between the 1080 and 4K upscaling. I noticed a big difference between the S and the X1 with a 4K TV. The X just compounds it and it looks even better.

One thing you can do on the X is if you have a 4K TV is change the video settings from 4K to 1080 and back again. You will see a difference . I tried to take pics of the difference but then I realized you cannot share 4K pics only 1080 so the pics of the 4K setting looks like the 1080 lol.

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »
I have said it before but you can tell a difference between the 1080 and 4K upscaling. I noticed a big difference between the S and the X1 with a 4K TV. The X just compounds it and it looks even better.

One thing you can do on the X is if you have a 4K TV is change the video settings from 4K to 1080 and back again. You will see a difference . I tried to take pics of the difference but then I realized you cannot share 4K pics only 1080 so the pics of the 4K setting looks like the 1080 lol.

You have said that now that I recall and I'll add that assessment to the "Pros" column for buying a 4K HDR HDTV.  I don't have a 4K display device in my house, so it does me no good to try to view 4K media.  I remember being able to see the difference in upscaled 480p media on a 720p display, so the precedent is definitely there.

BTW, we're up to 17 XBox One X owners in this thread now... that's almost double the number I would have predicted from those who visit this forum  :o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:07:32 PM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »
You will not regret buying a 4K TV.  Not just for games but movies, netflix and whatever other content you watch that has 4K or HDR support looks awesome. Then if it supports Atmos it is even more amazing .

The set up I have now is by far the best I have ever had it. Sometimes I am sitting there and and watching something or playing and think WOW this is awesome !

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

BenDover

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »
You will not regret buying a 4K TV.  Not just for games but movies, netflix and whatever other content you watch that has 4K or HDR support looks awesome. Then if it supports Atmos it is even more amazing .

The set up I have now is by far the best I have ever had it. Sometimes I am sitting there and and watching something or playing and think WOW this is awesome !
You can add me to the One X owner list. Still playing on the PS4 Pro though until they support the One X and then I will switch over.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 01:05:15 AM »
You can add me to the One X owner list. Still playing on the PS4 Pro though until they support the One X and then I will switch over.

Do you already own the XBox One version of TGC 2?  From all I've read, the XBox One X boosts the performance of the XBox One version of TGC 2 considerably beyond what the PS4 Pro does with the PS4 version.  But yeah, that would still be a far cry from what we'd see out of an XBox One X 4K, HDR enhanced version.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

HeMan

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »

Your percentage sounds similar to mine, although I'd say TGC 2 gets maybe 65% of my gaming time.  Let me ask you this HeMan, can you see any benefit from the upscaling the XBox One X/Samsung UHD 4K combo does for TGC 2?  I would probably have to see the game side by side on a 1080p display and a 4K display in which it was being upscaled to spot the difference, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's had the luxury of an A/B comparison.
Yes, as stated even non enhanced it is a big difference on a 4K TV. It is just a crisper picture overall. Golfer, landscape, colors, lettering, all significantly better for me.

The only hesitation I have is them releasing significant DLC and f’ing something up with the tempo. I am finally playing consistent, although I still have to play with my original XB controller. Results with the 1X controller were not good.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »
Yes, as stated even non enhanced it is a big difference on a 4K TV. It is just a crisper picture overall. Golfer, landscape, colors, lettering, all significantly better for me.

Dang you're making my wait until March difficult... not just better but "significantly" better!  I want one now 8)

The only hesitation I have is them releasing significant DLC and f’ing something up with the tempo. I am finally playing consistent, although I still have to play with my original XB controller. Results with the 1X controller were not good.

From my experience on all three platforms between The Golf Club 1 and 2, the swing, and in the case of TGC 2, the swing and tempo's performance are largely a product of the frame rate, and the physical properties and construction of the controller.

From experiments I conducted on my PC, where I can see the frame rate via the Steam utilities frame rate counter, TGC 2 needs to be running at 40 FPS, or faster, to deliver the feedback you need for a fluid swing interface feel that will make the tempo manageable.  Doubling the resolution by going to 2160p is going to tax the hardware more, but I'm sure there are tools in the latest Microsoft SDK that would allow the devs to tap into more than must the X's faster CPU, which seems to be where the performance gains we're seeing now are coming from mostly.

Some enhanced XBox One X games make no apologies about running at 30 FPS, but they're not relying on feedback from one animated interface as critically as The Golf Club 2 relies on that of the golfer's swing as it's being modulated by an analog input device's motion.  OTOH, there are as many, if not more, enhanced X games that do run at 60 FPS.  I'd say somewhere between those two extremes would lie the fate of a hypothetical TGC 2 XBox One X enhanced iteration.

The controller that came with my XBox One X feels more comfortable in my hands and yields more consistent results than the other 3 XBox One controllers I have in my collection.  None of them can match the consistency of my XBox One Elite controller though, but I could live with the performance I'm getting in TGC 2 with my new X model controller.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
JC you are not much of a gambler are ya?

Be very interesting to see the difference between the X1 and the X when battlegrounds comes out Tuesday.

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 11:32:17 AM »
JC you are not much of a gambler are ya?

I would be if I could pony up the ante 8)

Be very interesting to see the difference between the X1 and the X when battlegrounds comes out Tuesday.

I'm expecting a full report from you on it here on Wednesday at the latest :)
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »

Willing to bet the X outperforms the Pro by a substantial margin.....
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
I was able to repair the broken right shoulder button on my XBox One Elite controller today with some replacement buttons I bought via Amazon.com today.  The new buttons work fabulously and it's so nice to have that right button function at my disposal again.  As soon as my $5 replacement battery compartment cover arrives next week (my grandson lost the original), I can take the duct tape off that's now serving that function and I'll have a full spec Elite controller again.

Anyway, I played a couple of rounds of TGC 2 on my "X" with the Elite after replacing the buttons, and wow does it feel great.  I really like the feel of the Elite thumbsticks with this game; and I do get more consistent results with it, especially with tempo regulation.  I swear, I feel like I'm playing a new game on the X now!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 08:23:21 PM »
I was able to repair the broken right shoulder button on my XBox One Elite controller today with some replacement buttons I bought via Amazon.com today.  The new buttons work fabulously and it's so nice to have that right button function at my disposal again.  As soon as my $5 replacement battery compartment cover arrives next week (my grandson lost the original), I can take the duct tape off that's now serving that function and I'll have a full spec Elite controller again.

Anyway, I played a couple of rounds of TGC 2 on my "X" with the Elite after replacing the buttons, and wow does it feel great.  I really like the feel of the Elite thumbsticks with this game; and I do get more consistent results with it, especially with tempo regulation.  I swear, I feel like I'm playing a new game on the X now!

Told you....sublime experience, IMO.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

space-cash