Putting

• 51 Replies

mebby

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »
Putting isn't broken in this game.  Sure there might be some things that could use tweaking (I think the ball breaks too quickly off the putter face for example) but I feel that putting is an overall great experience in TGC.

Putting SHOULD frustrate you.  If it doesn't then it's not implemented correctly.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

MeanMachineMoe

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »
Putting isn't broken in this game.  Sure there might be some things that could use tweaking (I think the ball breaks too quickly off the putter face for example) but I feel that putting is an overall great experience in TGC.

Putting SHOULD frustrate you.  If it doesn't then it's not implemented correctly.

Totally agree. Putting should frustrate you. But it should NOT be harder to lag putt than in real life. You mention the ball breaking too quickly. I totally agree. That's is one of the elements that make lag putting almost impossible. If you have a severe breaking putt, you have to aim so far left or right that speed now becomes impossible to estimate. Hit too soft, it breaks immediately and you could be left with an even longer putt. Hit too hard to compensate and you blow it by the hole. Its too extreme. I have put in more time with this game practicing putting than in my own real life game and I lose multiple strokes every round because of lag putting. Needs fixing!

mebby

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »

Totally agree. Putting should frustrate you. But it should NOT be harder to lag putt than in real life. You mention the ball breaking too quickly. I totally agree. That's is one of the elements that make lag putting almost impossible. If you have a severe breaking putt, you have to aim so far left or right that speed now becomes impossible to estimate. Hit too soft, it breaks immediately and you could be left with an even longer putt. Hit too hard to compensate and you blow it by the hole. Its too extreme. I have put in more time with this game practicing putting than in my own real life game and I lose multiple strokes every round because of lag putting. Needs fixing!

Yea - I think some of that is on the designers.  Some of the hole locations (or maybe the amount of break near the hole) is unrealistic; especially when combined with ridiculously fast greens.

But I do hope that they tweak how quickly the ball breaks coming off the putter head.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »
Plenty of Things wrong with TGC2 but putting i feel is one of the best features in TGC2,best putting in any video game i have ever played.

Since playing Rodsimo socitiey i dont even move the red marker these days,its about time the True sim guys at TGC stopped using it as well.

I disagree.

Putting without grids is challenging enough.

Te putting marker helps adjust speed for me only.

Take that away and putting becomes a complete crapshoot, more so than it already is. It is borderline frustrating now, I don't advocate adding to that frustrations since the numbers of players playing TST increases weekly.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

Lancers

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
Plenty of Things wrong with TGC2 but putting i feel is one of the best features in TGC2,best putting in any video game i have ever played.

Since playing Rodsimo socitiey i dont even move the red marker these days,its about time the True sim guys at TGC stopped using it as well.

+1. Amazed these guys who can shoot well under par still use the putting marker. Not like they need the help or anything.

Lancers

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 03:07:31 PM »

I disagree.

Take that away and putting becomes a complete crapshoot, more so than it already is. It is borderline frustrating now, I don't advocate adding to that frustrations since the numbers of players playing TST increases weekly.

So what is more difficult? No green beads or no putting marker?

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

Part of that feeling of having to aim way to the side is camera field of view.

Love the lag putting in TGC, it’s very well balanced IMO.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »

I disagree.

Don’t mind the marker when used as an aim point, the issue with it is the green vacuuming. It’s an exploit, and turning the marker off would take it away. Just turning off the elevation info but leaving the marker would be ok too.

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »

I disagree.

So what is more difficult? No green beads or no putting marker?

Sometimes, I putt better without grids. Sometimes they are essential as some greens are hard to read with certain times of day.

The putting marker when used to "vacuum" the path between ball and cup is not how it was intended to be used, but I do not fault anyone for using it that way.

I never played with the putting marker until about 3 months ago when I got frustrated with lag putting. You COULD turn it off and just use the elevation information in the HUD, but it would be more challenging and for non-grid putting, I think we are there with the putting marker as it is until we get more intuitive cameras that can help us read the greens more effectively. Turning off the info it provides would make gridless putting even more of a crapshoot and some courses, it would be a nightmare.

Right now I feel is a good balance of challenge with the putting marker on.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

mebby

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
This thread makes me feel like I don't understand the aiming marker.  I just put it where I want to aim and then execute my shot.  I feel like turning it off and just using the D-pad to point my golf where I wanted to aim would only be SLIGHTLY less accurate.

The only reason I use the marker is because I feel like not using it causes me to aim too far to the right which is a perspective issue or something wonky with the alignment of the golfer's feet and putter head or something.

It sounds like there are other benefits and/or exploits that I"m unaware of!
Steam Name - Turnerm05

stan_solo

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Putting marker on  .. green grids off .. that's the way to go folks     .I don't have problems with the putting  ... I just have problems putting

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »
Putting marker on  .. green grids off .. that's the way to go folks     .I don't have problems with the putting  ... I just have problems putting

I go just the opposite, putting grids on but I do not use the marker.  I really enjoy the putting that way.

SANCHEZCFC

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »
I have been watching playthroughs a lot lately mainly jimgem & Early1981  they putt totally different from each other but both are good, you have to find what works for you.

MeanMachineMoe

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:14 AM »
I give up trying to figure out lag putting. I'll just go back to chipping. Its not much better but gives me a little better chance of getting closer. Between lag putting and the simply awful way the game handles drops I am about ready to give up and wait on GC 2019.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 03:38:10 AM »
Are you adjusting for distance properly? I go +1 foot per inch of elevation and slightly less than -1 if it’s a downhiller. Usually works out nicely. No grid really hones your lag putting since you really don’t want to leave anything outside 5 feet.

space-cash