Royal County Down WIP

• 21 Replies

Cathalos1991

« on: February 09, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
Have a lot of fun lately working on a couple of Irish Links courses, so moving things up to the North and have gotten underway laying out the opening few holes of the infamous Royal County Down.

Regarded as the number 1 course in the UK & Ireland and also as the number 1 most scenic. One of the most photographed courses in the world, Royal County Down boasts arguably the most spectacular setting of any of our traditional links.

The Mountains of Mourne provide a glorious backdrop, and when the gorse or heather are in bloom, it’s hard to imagine a lovelier place to play.

Now 125 years old, the course has evolved thanks to the influence of some of golf’s finest architects, including Old Tom Morris and Harry Colt.

One of the game’s finest commentators, Bernard Darwin, described this classic links as one of “big and glorious carries, nestling greens, entertainingly blind shots, local knowledge and beautiful turf – the kind of golf that people play in their most ecstatic dreams”.

Rory McIlroy is a frequent visitor and several important championships have been staged over the course including the Walker Cup, the Curtis Cup and the Amateur Championship.

If it had the infrastructure and spectator capacity, there is no question that it would have all the credentials to host The Open.

Visitors, depending on handicap, are welcome to play from the longer tees. But if the wind is blowing, as it usually is, then it is definitely advisable to err on the side of caution.

Standout holes include the tough par-3 4th, which is played from an elevated tee, and the wonderful 9th, with its blind drive to the fairway waiting some 60ft below.

A spectacular setting, a real test and a complete feast for the eyes – Royal County Down is golfing heaven

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- Old Course @ Ballybunion
- The Emirates Golf Club
- The Celtic Manor Resort
- Wentworth
- Killeen Castle Golf Club
- Highgarden Golf Resort
- Druids Glen Golf Resort

Cathalos1991

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:33:27 AM »
After some texture testing and working on the Emirates front 9, I got stuck into the first hole of Royal County Down. Got the first hole laid out before work this morning so hopefully will have more to.come over the next few days.

This is one im really excited about, having done 2 links courses recently, I find that these are the courses that I have the most fun with. Plenty of material to work with, have plenty flyover videos, GEP, 18Birdies, TW2014 so no reason not to nail this

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Cathalos1991

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:52:50 PM »
Hole layouts for the 1st 3 holes. Waypoints in place for the front 9

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Cathalos1991

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:36:34 AM »
Been working on the layout of the front 9 of Royal County Down over the last week and have completed a rough layout.

I say rough layout, simply because there is a lot of fairway walkways from tee to main part of the fairway, but also because of all the "beardies" or bearded bunkers. So have left plenty gaps to fill them.in and work them out when it comes to the scuplting and planting process. Which based on all the flyovers ive got, will take a good bit of time to perfect.

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Icyken

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:00:08 AM »
Looks a stunning course look forward
playing this one , I was looking at photos
of The Open venue Royal Portrush do you
fancy a crack at that ?
COURSES.....

Mink Hollow Golf club
 Hermit of Mink Hollow
 Machrihan Dunes, 2019
 Celtic Isles...CGC.
 Helensburgh Golf club
 The Fruin
 Prestwick, Golf club
 Craigendoran Links

Cathalos1991

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:04:35 AM »
Looks a stunning course look forward
playing this one , I was looking at photos
of The Open venue Royal Portrush do you
fancy a crack at that ?
Ive had a few say it to me the moment I mentioned that I was looking at doing Royal County Down. I havent been to Portrush myself, but I would definitely consider giving it a go, thats as long as someone else doesn't jump on it and give it a go. I like to do courses that ive walked, played or at least seen a lot of through European Tour tournaments so I would be at a little disadvantage there, unless I can somehow get coverage of the Irish Open from 2012.

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Icyken

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 06:55:37 AM »
Going by what if seen of it in photos
and on YouTube, it would take months
to do it justice, only a few could tackle
such a project, so I'll not mention names
Acesroyceyeltz... !

COURSES.....

Mink Hollow Golf club
 Hermit of Mink Hollow
 Machrihan Dunes, 2019
 Celtic Isles...CGC.
 Helensburgh Golf club
 The Fruin
 Prestwick, Golf club
 Craigendoran Links

Cathalos1991

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »
Going by what if seen of it in photos
and on YouTube, it would take months
to do it justice, only a few could tackle
such a project, so I'll not mention names
Acesroyceyeltz... !

I was just going to say they might better tackle it than I would :) We'll see how RCD goes first

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Cathalos1991

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 06:07:49 PM »
Just going through a very early playtest of the first hole and decided to record it. Sculpting needs fine tuning for sure, second half of the hole needs figuring out but that'll come as the first few holes come together

https://youtu.be/bhTI7wJvU5k

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Kevin1305

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
Have a lot of fun lately working on a couple of Irish Links courses, so moving things up to the North and have gotten underway laying out the opening few holes of the infamous Royal County Down.

Regarded as the number 1 course in the UK & Ireland and also as the number 1 most scenic. One of the most photographed courses in the world, Royal County Down boasts arguably the most spectacular setting of any of our traditional links.

The Mountains of Mourne provide a glorious backdrop, and when the gorse or heather are in bloom, it’s hard to imagine a lovelier place to play.

Now 125 years old, the course has evolved thanks to the influence of some of golf’s finest architects, including Old Tom Morris and Harry Colt.

One of the game’s finest commentators, Bernard Darwin, described this classic links as one of “big and glorious carries, nestling greens, entertainingly blind shots, local knowledge and beautiful turf – the kind of golf that people play in their most ecstatic dreams”.

Rory McIlroy is a frequent visitor and several important championships have been staged over the course including the Walker Cup, the Curtis Cup and the Amateur Championship.

If it had the infrastructure and spectator capacity, there is no question that it would have all the credentials to host The Open.

Visitors, depending on handicap, are welcome to play from the longer tees. But if the wind is blowing, as it usually is, then it is definitely advisable to err on the side of caution.

Standout holes include the tough par-3 4th, which is played from an elevated tee, and the wonderful 9th, with its blind drive to the fairway waiting some 60ft below.

A spectacular setting, a real test and a complete feast for the eyes – Royal County Down is golfing heaven

Can't wait to play this , live only 30 mins from the course.  So happy to see courses from the North make it to the game . Keep up the great work.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Cathalos1991

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »

Regarded as the number 1 course in the UK & Ireland and also as the number 1 most scenic. One of the most photographed courses in the world, Royal County Down boasts arguably the most spectacular setting of any of our traditional links.

Rory McIlroy is a frequent visitor and several important championships have been staged over the course including the Walker Cup, the Curtis Cup and the Amateur Championship.

Can't wait to play this , live only 30 mins from the course.  So happy to see courses from the North make it to the game . Keep up the great work.

Thats awesome man, have been up a few times but theres nothing like having some local knowledge. Ill be sure to have you test out the beta versions, front 9 beta will be ready soon enough :)

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Cathalos1991

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 10:26:44 AM »
Holes 1-3 early progress

https://youtu.be/1dSG38dTlEw

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

Kevin1305

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
Holes 1-3 early progress

Looking great sir , your not to bad at this game fella.

jeffbdvs

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
Holes 1-3 early progress

Not too shabby, Mr. O'Sullivan!
How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple - I missed a four foot putt for an eleven.
 - Arnold Palmer

Cathalos1991

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »
Holes 1-3 early progress

Not too shabby, Mr. O'Sullivan!
Cheers Jeff another 3 holes with the 7th hole just needing some greenwork https://youtu.be/QZggLsGuZcE

Course Designer
- Old Head Golf Links
- The Emirates Golf Club
- Wentworth
- Highgarden Golf Resort

space-cash