Will TGC 2019 offer 4K and/or Enhanced modes for Xbox One X?

• 467 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #300 on: May 14, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »
If anybody needs an Xbox one x -  $400 shipped today through the 16th

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/altatac/product/XBOX-CYV-00001/

That is a super deal... I know one thing, I spent $500 on mine and I haven't regretted it for a minute!
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
You might not depending on how far along he is in the relationship :)

I'll have to have my wife check my racing ****pit before I photograph or video it for the show... she sternly confronted me about finding an empty beer bottle under my racing seat  :-[ :D  I told her I was using it for special audio effects in the upper mid-range when it came into contact with the two subwoofer bases that are mounted under my seat... she didn't buy it ;)

So adding to my issues with home appliances I get home from a vacation and my hot water heater is not working. I reset it and it turned back on but then turn off again. Grrrrrrrrrr I think i will have to replace it as well. I  have my eye on this TV though. Thanks JC for in depth review.

You pressed the reset button on the heating element(s) itself?  I've cured a problem with that in the past, but at worst you probably just have a burned out element, which can be purchased at Home Depot for like $15. 

If everybody could wind up with a 55R617 that performs as well as the one I got, this would be a runaway consumer hit.  Unfortunately, there are quality control issues of some degree with the 6-Series and others have sets that do not deliver the quality they should.  Buy it from a dealer who is nearby and take it back if it has dead pixels, banding, or worse yet, cracked screens, would be my advice.  I won the panel lottery and got a proper spec HDTV via Amazon, but I shudder to think of the hassles I would have to go through to return it and ultimately get a good set if I hadn't.

LOL at the beer bottle.

I really am not comfortable messing with it to much since it is a gas water heater and have  young kids. I have a guy coming tomorrow to look at it. It is over 10 years old so Im guessing it might be time.

For that price it is worth the risk. I will most likely wait a little bit and then get it for my upstairs where my son has a X. Then at some point I will decide on what to do with my older 4K samsung down in the basement.

Have you tried the new video settings with this TV on the X? There is a low latency mode, 1440 mode and another new option (i forget). On my TV in the basement they are blanked out. I wonder if they are blanked out for you as well?
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

stan_solo

« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »
I told her I was using it for special audio effects in the upper mid-range when it came into contact with the two subwoofer bases that are mounted under my seat...

I use beer bottles for my acoustics too ..

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #303 on: May 15, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
A few things to follow up on:

First to Charlie Mattax, who suggested:

"In the Nvidia control panel, click on the "Adjust desktop color settings" tab and select your TV (if you have multiple monitors) by clicking on it.  At the bottom of the display you will see a list box that is entitled "Content type reported to the display".  The default is "Auto" which allows the driver to tell the TV what type of content it thinks is being sent to the TV.  My experience was that some games triggered graphics mode, others triggered gaming mode and still others triggered photo mode.  Change this setting to "Games".  This will always tell the TV that gaming mode is requested regardless of what is being sent.  Then, on your TV, put the HDMI port that is connected to the PC into auto-detect mode.  Even if you are using the TV as a desktop, gaming mode looks and acts very nicely.  On my set, this always selects gaming mode with the one exception that it switches to HDR mode if HDR content is being sent."

It worked for me just like you described above.  This is the best solution that I can imagine, given my current situation with an A/V receiver that can't pass HDR content.  Many thanks!

Secondly, I'm still going through the transition pangs of getting used to this ultra low 17.6 ms controller input lag with the TLC 6-Series in "Game" mode.  Today I said "what the heck", I'll just turn Game mode off and see if I can get an input lag that is more along the lines of what I got with my Toshiba Regza LCD.  I'm now convinced, when not in "Game" mode, the input lag on the TCL 6-Series is higher than it was on my Toshiba!?  I offered up one "Slow/Perfect" tempo result after another when not in "Game" mode, a tempo combination that I rarely ever saw in TGC 2 with my Toshiba, and certainly not with my TLC in Game mode.

I then intentionally tried to get a "Perfect/Fast" tempo when not in Game mode, and the closest I could get was a "Slow/Fast".  When I was trying to play and score as best I could when not in Game mode, the "Slow/Perfect" tempo results I consistently got are nowhere near as catastrophic as "Perfect/Fast", so I kept the ball in play very well, losing just a wee bit of distance.  The putting was a different story.  The laggy putter response made it hard to regulate distance, and to a lesser extent - line.

I'd had enough of my non Game mode experiment and went back to Game mode.  It felt so good to have that brisk responsiveness back at my fingertips and made me gain a new appreciation for it.  Of course I yanked my first couple of shots well left after doing so; my senses were still attuned to the at least 3 1/2X lag of the non Game mode swing.  A few holes later and I was back to really appreciating what this 17 ms lag does for TGC 2.  It truly does have a remarkable effect on the game experience! :-*
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:15:10 PM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #304 on: May 15, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »

["In the Nvidia control panel, click on the "Adjust desktop color settings" tab and select your TV (if you have multiple monitors) by clicking on it.  At the bottom of the display you will see a list box that is entitled "Content type reported to the display".  The default is "Auto" which allows the driver to tell the TV what type of content it thinks is being sent to the TV.  My experience was that some games triggered graphics mode, others triggered gaming mode and still others triggered photo mode.  Change this setting to "Games".  This will always tell the TV that gaming mode is requested regardless of what is being sent.  Then, on your TV, put the HDMI port that is connected to the PC into auto-detect mode.  Even if you are using the TV as a desktop, gaming mode looks and acts very nicely.  On my set, this always selects gaming mode with the one exception that it switches to HDR mode if HDR content is being sent."

It worked for me just like you described above.  This is the best solution that I can imagine, given my current situation with an A/V receiver that can't pass HDR content.  Many thanks!

Secondly, I'm still going through the transition pangs of getting used to this ultra low 17.6 ms controller input lag with the TLC 6-Series in "Game" mode.  Today I said "what the heck", I'll just turn Game mode off and see if I can get an input lag that is more along the lines of what I got with my Toshiba Regza LCD.  I'm now convinced, when not in "Game" mode, the input lag on the TCL 6-Series is higher than it was on my Toshiba!?  I offered up one "Slow/Perfect" tempo result after another when not in "Game" mode, a tempo combination that I rarely ever saw in TGC 2 with my Toshiba, and certainly not with my TLC in Game mode.

I then intentionally tried to get a "Perfect/Fast" tempo when not in Game mode, and the closest I could get was a "Slow/Fast".  When I was trying to play and score as best I could when not in Game mode, the "Slow/Perfect" tempo results I consistently got are nowhere near as catastrophic as "Perfect/Fast", so I kept the ball in play very well, losing just a wee bit of distance.  The putting was a different story.  The laggy putter response made it hard to regulate distance, and to a lesser extent - line.

I'd had enough of my non Game mode experiment and went back to Game mode.  It felt so good to have that brisk responsiveness back at my fingertips and made me gain a new appreciation for it.  Of course I yanked my first couple of shots well left after doing so; my senses were still attuned to the at least 3 1/2X lag of the non Game mode swing.  A few holes later and I was back to really appreciating what this 17 ms lag does for TGC 2.  It truly does have a remarkable effect on the game experience! :-*

Bookmarking this thread in case I get the same set so I can make these adjustments much faster.

I think if I had this information back when I purchased a 55" Samsung 8000 Series to replace my PC and gaming desktop, I would still have that set and not the 32" HP Omen listed below. I could not get the set to work properly with my PC and now I know why.

Thanks for all the great information John and Charlie!
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

mebby

« Reply #305 on: May 15, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »

"In the Nvidia control panel, click on the "Adjust desktop color settings" tab and select your TV (if you have multiple monitors) by clicking on it.  At the bottom of the display you will see a list box that is entitled "Content type reported to the display".  The default is "Auto" which allows the driver to tell the TV what type of content it thinks is being sent to the TV.  My experience was that some games triggered graphics mode, others triggered gaming mode and still others triggered photo mode.  Change this setting to "Games".  This will always tell the TV that gaming mode is requested regardless of what is being sent.  Then, on your TV, put the HDMI port that is connected to the PC into auto-detect mode.  Even if you are using the TV as a desktop, gaming mode looks and acts very nicely.  On my set, this always selects gaming mode with the one exception that it switches to HDR mode if HDR content is being sent."

Now you understand what I experience when I transition from playing on my gaming laptop with a 120 refresh rate no discernible lag to my LG 50" 4K HDTV with 30 refresh rate.  It always take me a few minutes to get used to the difference.

I also notice the difference (although not as severe) with Super Mega Baseball 2.  My first few at bats are a little slow on the trigger!
Steam Name - Turnerm05

Thrangar

« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »

Now you understand what I experience when I transition from playing on my gaming laptop with a 120 refresh rate no discernible lag to my LG 50" 4K HDTV with 30 refresh rate.  It always take me a few minutes to get used to the difference.

I also notice the difference (although not as severe) with Super Mega Baseball 2.  My first few at bats are a little slow on the trigger!

Loving the new version myself!
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

FRSTDWN

« Reply #307 on: May 15, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »
Is that game kid friendly? Meaning does it have a easy mode?
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

mebby

« Reply #308 on: May 15, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »

Loving the new version myself!

Yes - it's a really great game isn't it??  I love how I can sit down and knock out a few games pretty quickly.  The new resume feature is PERFECT!  I'm about 9 games into my first season with the Sawteeth on an Ego level of 55 and finding it quite fun and engaging!
Steam Name - Turnerm05

mebby

« Reply #309 on: May 15, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Is that game kid friendly? Meaning does it have a easy mode?

Absolutely!!  The difficulty in the game is set by an "Ego" slider that goes in increments of 1 from 0-99.  I'd say once you start getting into the 60's it gets very difficult!  A setting of 1 would be VERY easy.  It moves the bat for you so all you have to do is time your swing appropriately.  The higher up you go the more difficult it gets. 

I'm playing on 55 and it still moves the bat to aim but much slower than it would on an ego of 20 so I actually have to move it or just elect to wait for a good pitch.  Same with fielding.  On lower ego levels fielding is darn near automatic - you just have to throw the ball to the right base.  The higher up you go the more you have to intervene in order to field the ball.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #310 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
Nice to see something I suggest works.  But you may be laying too much of the input lag on your TV.  At 1080p, I can have everything internally and externally maxed out and still see zero input lag.  4k is a completely different story but, in spite of the fact that I don't score as well as I do in 1080p, I just can't get past how much more absorbing and detailed it is.

I can see where you're coming from here Charlie.  The changes in input lag I was reporting on came while I was playing the XBox One version on my XBox One X.  In my example, I'm pretty sure the XBox One X is cranking out native 4K graphics because I seriously doubt the XBox One version of the game has native 4K textures.  All it's doing is upscaling the 1080p native graphics to 4K.  I've read other XBox One X gamers talking about how much they benefit from a variety of games with the TCL in "Game" mode, and like me, many of them are surprised at how the performance drops off with Game mode off.

Whenever I have a lousy round, my knee-jerk reaction is to fire up 1080p mode and play.  I always swing so much better (especially in the area of tempo) but I almost never finish the round because I am so spoiled by 4k.  I have found that the in-game settings and Nvidia control panel settings have a tremendous impact on input lag.  I've never had any luck with screenshots, but I will try to attach screen shots of my Nvidia control panel settings for TGC2 and my in-game graphics settings.  Going much above these settings (and I had tried to push them higher) in 4k mode just increases lag.  The biggest impact (in my experience anyway) has come from using High Quality textures vs Quality textures in the Nvidia control panel and from the shadow quality settings in-game.

Very interesting and helpful information here... and thanks for those screen shots, I'm going to put them into play here in a bit.  You've aroused my curiosity about this now with the PC version.  I played a round with the PC version last night and there's no doubt that even my modestly powered gaming PC produces graphics that both exceed the quality of the XBox One X version of TGC 2, while outperforming it by at least 10 to 15% in terms of frame rate. 

I still think if the XBox One version of TGC 2 had been coded with the XBox One X capabilities in mind, the X version would look and perform a whole lot more like what I'm getting on my PC version, and on paper... better.  I'm pretty certain HBS didn't have the luxury of having an XBox One X on hand for the development of TGC 2, so that's why it is like it is.

At 4k, no additional AA is needed.  I am running with an o/ced 5930x, 16gb mem and GTX 1080ti and still can not crank it all the way up in this game but every setting in Far Cry 5 is maxed with HDR turned on and it plays beautifully.  I'm really glad you are pushing the HDR initiative with this game because I played half of FC5 before I realized it supported HDR mode on my TV.  Turning it on was like taking the cataract off an 80 year old man.  It really made a difference.

You just reminded me... I need to go in and turn AA off for TGC 2 as long as I'm going to be running it at 2160p; AA is not needed there for sure!  HDR?  Yeah, I majorly underestimated what HDR was going to mean to the look of the games that use it!  I think I'm more impressed with that than I am the increased resolution!
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #311 on: May 15, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »

Believe me... I can relate, although your example would be even more pronounced than mine.  I played my TGC Tours CC Tournament round (on my XBox One X) after going back to "Game" mode, and even though I limped in with 71, on a course that I'd just shot a 64 on the day before... it felt so dang good to have that responsive thumbstick swing

I tried SMB2 just a bit on my other XBox One connected to a dreadful 60" Sharp edge lit LEDand didn't notice any lag, but I wasn't looking for it.  I'll have to compare that to what I get on my X.  The game didn't really pull me in all that much so I didn't invest a lot of time with it.  I'm not much of a baseball guy though, but this game should probably appeal more to guys like me who aren't. 
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

philby85

« Reply #312 on: May 17, 2018, 01:04:51 AM »

You just reminded me... I need to go in and turn AA off for TGC 2 as long as I'm going to be running it at 2160p; AA is not needed there for sure!  HDR?  Yeah, I majorly underestimated what HDR was going to mean to the look of the games that use it!  I think I'm more impressed with that than I am the increased resolution!

I think HDR when done right is a game changer. The best I have seen is forza horizon 3. That game has two simple sliders for HDR. I wish every game that supported HDR used the same system.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2018, 02:02:48 AM »
I think HDR when done right is a game changer. The best I have seen is forza horizon 3. That game has two simple sliders for HDR. I wish every game that supported HDR used the same system.

I'm going to have to go back and download the demo of Forza Horizon 3 (which I hope has been upgraded to include the XBox One X enhancements) again to try this.  I had the demo originally on my XBox One, but the game itself didn't fascinate me nearly as much as the first Forza Horizon for some reason.  Thanks for the tip on this!
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »
As I said before with PUBG I have to turn off the HDR . Makes the darks to dark. Hopefully if HB does support the X we get a slider.
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

space-cash