Will TGC 2019 offer 4K and/or Enhanced modes for Xbox One X?

• 467 Replies

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
Xbox One X going on sale for E3 week.  $50 off.

Is that all retailers or just select ones?  I ask because I know another guy who is contemplating purchasing an X in the near future... this might speed that up! :)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/04/e3-sale/

Microsoft store and participating retailers.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »
Xbox One X going on sale for E3 week.  $50 off.

Is that all retailers or just select ones?  I ask because I know another guy who is contemplating purchasing an X in the near future... this might speed that up! :)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/04/e3-sale/

Microsoft store and participating retailers.

Oh I see, they're calling it an E3 week sale.  I wonder if Amazon will be a participating retailer?  Their regular price on the X now is $479.40; could this potentially move that down to $429.40?
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #362 on: June 09, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
Fellow XBox One X brethren who took part in the TGC 2019 stress test, ponder on the following hypothetical statement and let me know your thoughts.  Suppose the XBox One version, or maybe just an additional option for the XBox One X, of TGC 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR has a "Render Scale" option in its graphics settings, like the PC version has... would that not give XBox One X owners a path to get the image quality to performance ratio that would best suit their own preferences? 

I don't know what Microsoft's policies are concerning adjustments of this magnitude.  If we can set DOF on or off in the XBox One version now, I personally can't see why we couldn't set the Render Scale level in the XBox One X version, but I can see how it's a far more performance impacting adjustment than DOF.

As a point of reference, I wound up settling on a 125% Render Scale, with the display resolution set to 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz on my PC, with TGC 2019.  I had the Object Detail at 100%, along with this.  At 125%, this yielded a net 2400 x 1350 res, which I'd guess my 4K HDTV then upscaled to 3840 x 2160.  It looked markedly better though and I was right at 60 FPS using that setting, with my relatively modest gaming PC (specs in sigline).

Anyway, your thoughts on this? 
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #363 on: June 09, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
My guess is it won't be enhanced and we will not have any more graphics options then TGC 2.  At least not at launch. From reading that stress test they have plenty to work on and I don't think this is not high on the list.

JC did the game look better than TGC 2? Minus the trees ?
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #364 on: June 09, 2018, 01:03:24 PM »
My guess is it won't be enhanced and we will not have any more graphics options then TGC 2.  At least not at launch. From reading that stress test they have plenty to work on and I don't think this is not high on the list.

JC did the game look better than TGC 2? Minus the trees ?

I honestly can't see a technical reason they couldn't easily put the "Render Scale" and even "Object Detail" sliders in the XBox One and PS4 versions.  What I'm probably not able to see is what licensing restrictions Microsoft or Sony would have against their use in a console game.  Then again, I'm a little surprised we have the DOF ON/OFF option in the console versions.

Did the game look better than TGC 2 sans the trees?  Yes, I can say that it does.  The textures in the traps, the density of the grass in the light and heavy rough, and even the portrayal of ball flight, bounce and roll looks better.  HBS admits they've got more lighting work to do and I think that will help a good deal... if they get it right.

As for the trees, there are actually some SpeedTree trees that look better than the trees of TGC 2.  The overall nod, IMO, goes to TGC 2 with trees, but I hope there's some LOD changes that HBS can make with the SpeedTree trees in TGC 2019 that can either erase, or overcome that gap.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #365 on: June 10, 2018, 12:08:04 AM »
Ok thanks for the reply. All we can do is wait and see. The jump from TGC 1 to 2 then from Xb 1 to the X have been significant. Hoping the trend continues.
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #366 on: June 11, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »
Ok thanks for the reply. All we can do is wait and see. The jump from TGC 1 to 2 then from Xb 1 to the X have been significant. Hoping the trend continues.

Maybe we can persuade an E3 goer to check under the hood for this or ask about it, although it doesn't sound like HBS has taken a firm position on what graphics and resolutions options are going to be available on the XBox One X as of yet. 

You're right though, the jump in image quality and game performance from TGC 1 to TGC 2 was significant on the stock XBox One, but almost astounding on the XBox One X!  What makes it so remarkable is that nothing was done to the XBox One version of TGC 2 to tap the extra processing power of the X; it was just the raw processing power, faster memory addressing, supersampling, and 16X AF that took it to another level all on its own.

There are a number of avenues HBS could take to exploit the untapped potential of the X with TGC 2019.  It will be exciting to see what they're able to do with it, as I think we might be in for a surprise, based on what I saw with the PC version during the stress test.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
Oh, one further little detail that we can perhaps read something into... HB Studios press release about their E3 participation has the following statement in it concering The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR:

"Game developer HB Studios confirms its attendance at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles, California from the 12th – 14th June 2018 with a fully playable version of The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC platforms. Everyone is welcome to join the fun at a private venue three minutes' walk from the LA Convention Center."

By fully playable, does that mean all of the options and features are present... and by options I mean graphics settings and resolutions?  Wouldn't fully playable mean the PGA TOUR component would be included?  I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings, as they're supposed to be live with it then.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:11:21 PM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »
Problem is though JC most people will not be looking at the graphic settings . Will be interesting to see though especially if they have a Xbox X running the game.
XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
Problem is though JC most people will not be looking at the graphic settings . Will be interesting to see though especially if they have a Xbox X running the game.

True, but your post made me realize I might have a mole at the E3, who owes me a favor from way back in the day.  I might be able to get him to take a stab at this!  8)
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
Haha very nice.  I am sure he will do a good job under your instruction.

XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

philby85

« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2018, 04:45:54 AM »
I think 4K and HDR should be high on the priority list. It makes such a difference to games.
There are so many games now on the enhanced list for one x. A lot from very small developers. For example Big Ant Studios in Australia have released Ashes cricket and AO International Tennis on xbox with 4K and HDR support.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »
Yea that list does have a lot smaller developers who have enhanced the game. Good point.

XB1 X
Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »
I think 4K and HDR should be high on the priority list. It makes such a difference to games.
There are so many games now on the enhanced list for one x. A lot from very small developers. For example Big Ant Studios in Australia have released Ashes cricket and AO International Tennis on xbox with 4K and HDR support.

I did not realize that either of those titles were 4K and HDR  :o  Thanks for pointing that out!  If you read KingPlayer's report in another thread about his hands-on with the XBox One version of TGC 2019, he said both the look and feel of the XBox One version he played yesterday was very similar to what he played on his "fat" PC.  I've asked him to clarify whether it was an XBox One X, or not in that thread, as that would make an appreciable difference.

Here's a link to his post, if you're interested:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,23849.msg296408.html#msg296408

I don't know what sort of hooks the XBox One X may be given with TGC 2019, but even if it's not flat out 4K res and HDR, they could (in theory at least) use the "Render Scale" and "Object Detail" sliders they have in the PC version... that alone would go a loooooong way toward appeasing XBox One X owners, IMO :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:09:47 PM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

philby85

« Reply #374 on: June 13, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »

I did not realize that either of those titles were 4K and HDR  :o  Thanks for pointing that out!  If you read KingPlayer's report in another thread about his hands-on with the XBox One version of TGC 2019, he said both the look and feel of the XBox One version he played yesterday was very similar to what he played on his "fat" PC.  I've asked him to clarify whether it was an XBox One X, or not in that thread, as that would make an appreciable difference.

Here's a link to his post, if you're interested:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,23849.msg296408.html#msg296408

I don't know what sort of hooks the XBox One X may be given with TGC 2019, but even if it's not flat out 4K res and HDR, they could (in theory at least) use the "Render Scale" and "Object Detail" sliders they have in the PC version... that alone would go a loooooong way toward appeasing XBox One X owners, IMO :)

Thanks J I loved that thread very exciting to read. I would love those sliders, the one x is way more capable of displaying PC like graphics settings. Glad you're loving the TCL and one x combo. I love mine.

space-cash