Will TGC 2019 offer 4K and/or Enhanced modes for Xbox One X?

• 461 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #435 on: July 02, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »
JC if it is an artistic directors choice then I have some of my 5 year old's drawings I can sell them.

I can fully relate to your comment on this and I agree... it's not flattering to the image quality, in my layman's opinion.

I raise it to 50. In?

I think we'd have a hard time defining what constitutes an enhancement.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #436 on: July 03, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
I don't think they will do anything. For some reason they don't think it's important. If they did we would have had a definitive response by now.
XB1 X

4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

leslie.sangster

« Reply #437 on: July 03, 2018, 06:14:18 PM »
To me as long as the game plays smooth with no lag I don’t mind, I think they will do something eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #438 on: July 06, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
To me as long as the game plays smooth with no lag I don’t mind, I think they will do something eventually.

TGC 2 plays relatively smooth on the XBox One X now, sans the occasional relectance of the golfer swing animation to start.  It's a minor annoyance as I can detect it right away, stop the swing, allow it to reset, and then it's always good to good without hesitation the next swing.  I'm with you though, I think if they don't have something we'd think of as an "X" enhancement oout of the gate, we'll see something along those lines eventually.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

leslie.sangster

« Reply #439 on: July 06, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »

TGC 2 plays relatively smooth on the XBox One X now, sans the occasional relectance of the golfer swing animation to start.  It's a minor annoyance as I can detect it right away, stop the swing, allow it to reset, and then it's always good to good without hesitation the next swing.  I'm with you though, I think if they don't have something we'd think of as an "X" enhancement oout of the gate, we'll see something along those lines eventually.

I was playing TGC 2 today and the course I was playing looked absolutely gorgeous even without any graphic upgrades to the second game.

Buck

« Reply #440 on: July 06, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »

Re:  Enhanced modes..

Would this not be known and talked about already if it were being included?
Didn't they already send off the games GM to Sony/MS for approval?

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »

Not necessarily.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

Bobapett

« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
There's a lot of things they aren't talking about yet.  I still have my fingers crossed. 
Only YOU can prevent word crimes.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #443 on: July 06, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »

It *may* not be known at this time for sure.  Alan wrote the following with regard to this on February 27th:

"This is down to our optimisations guys and they haven’t yet taken the time to investigate this and how it works with the latest version of Unity. SpeedTree has been the priority so far."

We don't know whether the "optimisations guys" have had time to look at it yet or not, although with the progression I've seen through the stress test beta, TPC Boston video, and now the TPC Deere Run video, I'd say at least some optimisations guys have been working on textures, long rough grasses, and particularly - SpeedTrees!

HBS may not be speaking on it because they don't have a definitive answer to give at this time.  I think once they do, we'll get a yay, nay, or coming later in an update response.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #444 on: July 06, 2018, 09:33:22 PM »
If I recall with TGC 2 they told us pretty quickly that it would be in1080. One way or another we will find out no matter thier response.

We also have not seen any footage of the game playing on consoles . At least not that I am aware of. I played the two clips on my 4 k tv through YouTube on my Xbox in 4k and it looked the same as TGC 2. Not sure if that means anything though lol.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:36:54 PM by FRSTDWN »
XB1 X

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #445 on: July 07, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
If I recall with TGC 2 they told us pretty quickly that it would be in1080. One way or another we will find out no matter thier response.

True, but that was an easier task to manage than trying to determine what enhancements can be made in a console game where there seems to be restrictions from Microsoft as to how far a developer can go with the degree of configuration available to the end user.

We also have not seen any footage of the game playing on consoles . At least not that I am aware of. I played the two clips on my 4 k tv through YouTube on my Xbox in 4k and it looked the same as TGC 2. Not sure if that means anything though lol.

If the clips shown of Boston and Deere Run were being played on a PC set at 1080p at 100% render scale, they're going to look the same as TGC 2, sans the texture, tree and object details.  I'm really not sure what is meant by 2160p means on a You Tube video.  My guess is that it is capable of passing a native 2160p video along, just as well as it's capable of passing an upscaled 2160p video.

I know that the TPC Boston video on my 4K display looked better when I set the resolution to 2160p in the You Tube Settings, after it had defaulted to 1080p.  That doesn't mean that we were seeing native 2160p from the video though... I suspect it wasn't because I know the Stress Test Beta version of TGC 2019 looked markedly better when I changed the render scale to 200% from 100%, although it cut the frame rate to at least half of what it had been. 

This is a long winded way of saying I don't know how to respond with anything conclusive in response to your points.  :D
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #446 on: July 07, 2018, 07:44:52 PM »
Lol JC I hear ya. My guess is it will look about the same on the X . Might run a little better with the speed trees but unless they take advantage of the potential of this console then that is where it will stay.
XB1 X

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #447 on: July 10, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
I read the following in a Unity blog about XBox One X support that was linked back in the General forum:

"We also made a number of GPU instancing improvements, and we're adding Dynamic Resolution as an engine feature debuting on the Xbox One platform with other platforms to follow later."

I'm not going to comment about Dynamic Resolution because I don't think that's an avenue down which HBS would want to go, but I do want to raise a question about GPU instancing.  If I'm not mistaken, GPU instancing (to draw (or render) multiple copies of the same Mesh at once, using a small number of draw calls. It is useful for drawing objects such as buildings, trees and grass, or other things that appear repeatedly in a Scene.) applies to every XBox One OS.

GPU Instancing has been enabled on the SpeedTree shader in Unity, from what I read.  My question is this, would the Unity code have to be customized to get the more out of GPU instancing with an XBox One X, or is its performance simply going to improve on scale due to raw processing power?  I hope this is not too nerdy a question  :-[ :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:38:56 AM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #448 on: July 13, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
How about a simple, two position setting solution for XBox One X enhancement?  A "performance" setting where the game is running at 1080p, at the highest graphics detail and draw distance settings that would allow it to maintain 60 FPS.

The other setting would be a "high quality" setting, in which the XBox One X would use the equivalent of a native res of 1440p, while running the game at an average of ~40 FPS.  Of course with both settings, the XBox One X or your HDTV would then upscale the output to 2160p, but I can say from my experimentation with the stress test beta that the upscaled 1440p looked markedly better than the upscaled 1080p.

I came up with these numbers based on the relative performance of my gaming PC to that of an XBox One X, which based on the stats I can find put it at about 15% less processing power than an XBox One X.  I set my render scale at 133% with the beta, which in essences yields at 1440p res by my thinking, and averaged about 35 FPS.  Multiply that by 15% and I'm at 40 FPS.

Reckon something like that would pass Microsoft certification?
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #449 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
I don't get the silence on this . Either way the game will look and run well on the X . So just let us know something. Getting a little frustrated with the lack of information on this game.
XB1 X

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

space-cash