It's the little things that can have the biggest impact

• 36 Replies

Tuco

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »
New features in the designer are always welcomed, but making small improvements to the features that already exist is more important to me. The course designer is such a great tool, but sometimes I feel I waste more time with these annoyances than anything else. As a result, I often find myself half-assing certain things or needing a break from the designer altogether. For example, separating the bushes from the grass was the single greatest thing to happen in my life.

I'll list a few here off the top of my head and add more as I think of them.

<snip>

Playtesting. Way more of a PIA than it should be. These options would greatly reduce the frustration:
- "Perfect shot" button
- change pin on the fly
- change tee on the fly
- change club set on the fly
- pick up and drop the ball option
- set / change wind
- jump to hole
- see the full score card at any time

So many excellent thoughts and suggestions in Scarpacci's post.

I came here today to specifically request a "perfect shot" button for course designer practice, and lo and behold, it's already been suggested.  So I'll go ahead and second it.

There are so many times during the fine tuning of fairway or green undulations that during testing, I am unable to hit the perfect shot to test the carom of the ball.  This is especially true using the Tour Clubs.  A "perfect shot" option would be most welcome.

HB, thanks for listening and providing all this good feedback since the announcement of the new game.
Jules Haven Wilderness Golf
The Links at Dakota Bay

coruler2

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 06:10:51 PM »
Is it possible to add the ability to create and save our own brushes?  There’s a few tools I’ve always wanted- a full gradient square to make smoother slopes.  A triangular shape with fuzzy sides to make mountain/hill ridges easier.  And the ability to adjust the thickness of the soft edges of the shapes. 
TGC2 Courses:
Starla Park CC (port)
The Crescent Serpent Golf Club
Royal Coffer Country Club
Sun Devil Ridge (port)
Israeli National at Negev Valley

Steam and XB1 name:  coruler2

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »
Update OP with something that was in TGC1, but removed from TG2:

Surface Toggle. In TGC1, When using shapes you used to be able to quickly toggle between surfaces without having to back track in the menus (place FW / toggle to rough / place rough).  Huge time saver compared to TGC2, where you have to place a piece of FW and then back out of the brush, back out of the surface, select the new surface, select the brush and finally place.

Griff

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 06:53:12 PM »
Not much I can add to Tony's list. It's pretty comprehensive and covers most of what us designers have been discussing.

Things I will add:

a) It would be nice to have some more (new) clubhouses. We have 5+ pages of skyscrapers, but like 7 clubhouses (and a couple of those I'm using the term generously...not to mention that one I would have used has had green siding added to it that makes it look about as ugly as possible. That one should definitely be changed back to the way it looked in TGC1). I think all of us can agree that we have exhausted our collective creative abilities coming up with new ways to fit the existing clubhouses together to give a course a refreshing look off the course.

My personal wants would to have a plantation style clubhouse as well as a traditional "mission" style. Both are options that could be used on a multitude of themes and styles.

b) PLEASE include a couple of cedar and pine trees in Tropical if possible. As somebody that lives on the Gulf Coast, many of my courses are inspired by irl courses I play in the Southeast US. Almost everything down here is a mix of pine and palms. I know this is a minor thing to most, but it gives A LOT of flexibility to those that design RCRs and/or courses with a distinct Southeastern feel.

c) As mentioned before...cartpaths, cartpaths, cartpaths. As great as some of things are in TGC2, cartpaths somehow got worse...and it's not like they weren't a gripe in 1.

d) Firmness. It could very well be a limitation in the engine, but I speak for most when I say we would LOVE to have a true slider for green/fairway firmness. it would be awesome to have a setting between medium and max firm. It allows us to use different contouring and sloping to achieve different results on the greens compared to what we have available now. I really do like the physics in this game (for the most part), so having one more tool to take advantage of that would be a major plus.

e) Rough. Once again, not sure the limitations, but it would be amazing not to have a 60% shot when you're 6 inches off of the first cut. Besides that not even being close to realistic, having set ranges of penalty for light rough, heavy rough, and then tall grass areas gives designers a whole new way to create. Or maybe have dense rough as a tool similar to out of bounds tool. If a designer designates that area as "dense rough" then the huge swing penalties come into play (i.e. tall grass/fescue areas).

Anyways...just my 2 pennies. I don't want to take away from this thread or make it sound like nothing but complaints, but those are a few of things I would like to see in addition to Scarp's list.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:04:35 PM by Griff »

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
Just a personal one especially with the Gorse in Highland theme love to have the option where it says Clear Generated Trees to have the option to Move generated trees you got the gorse all over the place most not needed taking up space be nice just to move some where you want it,no idea why the autogen gorse and bushes look so much better than anything i can do.

bigcat023

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »
Sorry if its already mentioned but would like to have flag poles where we could add different
Country flags for the club houses
Blackfires Hunt And GC         Shepherds Staff       Eastpointe Golf Club
Roseland Hills                         Sawmill Creek
Jasper Trace                             Moe Norman Estates
Greens of Aberdeen               Sauble River Club        
White Lake Station                  Valprasiso Val

H Dirtwater

• Xbox One - Violinguy69
    • ChuckGviolin
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
The OP is pretty spot-on.  I think most designers have slightly different priorities based on their own experiences, but the OP definitely covers just about everything. 

From that list, my number 1 right now would be to fix the green grid.  I have moving #1 pin just to work on the other 3.  On big greens, this usually means moving the pin 3 times.  Such a PITA.  You can always select "move pin" to see what the terrain looks like, but as soon as you sculpt it, the grid goes away.

ViolinguyGolf on Youtube

Published Courses: Sister Bay Golf Club - NEW
Arapaho Prairie Golf Club
Mt. Freedom Country Club
Kensington Point Golf Links - Final
Maestoso GC and Lodge
Destiny Dunes Country Club

Williamhotel69

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
The OP is pretty spot-on.  I think most designers have slightly different priorities based on their own experiences, but the OP definitely covers just about everything. 

From that list, my number 1 right now would be to fix the green grid.  I have moving #1 pin just to work on the other 3.  On big greens, this usually means moving the pin 3 times.  Such a PITA.  You can always select "move pin" to see what the terrain looks like, but as soon as you sculpt it, the grid goes away.
I agree on the green grids. They need to expand further when sculpting multiple pins.
I would like to see objects like barns be added. Or at least add some pieces that you could build barns or other objects together. I know one designer built a water wheel out of different objects. With just a few wall pieces, we could build tons of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Courses created:
TGC2
The Golf Club of Houston (RCR)
TGC1
Mason Dixon Golf Course
Mistwood Golf Course (RCR)
Hillcrest Golf & CC (RCR)
The Walker Course Clemson SC / Tiger Tees (RCR)
The Golf Club of Houston (RCR)

MAJORHIGH

• Savannah, GA
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »

b) PLEASE include a couple of cedar and pine trees in Tropical if possible. As somebody that lives on the Gulf Coast, many of my courses are inspired by irl courses I play in the Southeast US. Almost everything down here is a mix of pine and palms. I know this is a minor thing to most, but it gives A LOT of flexibility to those that design RCRs and/or courses with a distinct Southeastern feel.

YES !!  I live in Savannah and 75% of the courses I play would be considered "Tidal Salt Marsh." Having an Oak covered in Spanish Moss beside a Palm Tree and a then a 75 ft Pine is just normal. And so is playing a hole where the only thing you see in a certain direction is 5 miles of tidal grass.

Adamhill413

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »
My own wee contribution with my hopes and dreams:
Links Rough & Bunkers: That tall links grass that everybody loves (I'm never out the stuff IRL...) would be a great addition just to make our links courses look a little less barren. Manually adding grass from the planting menu takes up a fair bit of time and you can't see it from far away, giving a pop-in effect. I'd like to see revetted bunkers (maybe a terrain-snap type arrangement for placing them). They are a standout feature of links courses and would be a big improvement for our links courses in-game. Terrain snapping to retaining walls has already been mentioned so bunker revetting could work similarly (place a sod wall, terrain snaps to it, hunky dory). This could also allow us to build part-revetted bunkers, a bit like this.
Little Things: Them little signs on the tee box with hole number, yardage, that sort of thing. I don't know the practicalities of creating such a thing, so it might not be feasible.
Drop Zones: Could be marked in a similar fashion to placing crowds and OB?
Surfaces: Returning to the links theme: the links grass with the large brown patches that come with hot weather. Railway sleeper path surface option...in fact railway sleeper walls? Ooh! Railway sleeper bunker revetting! :D
The Hill Collection:
Silverbird National
Royal Shougleith

Wes _Coast_1

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 01:10:15 AM »
As far as the banners that are currently in the game. If you could make them to where a designer could personalize them to his course and have more of a variety of looks and sizes that would be nice. I don't recall ever seeing them on a course, but I think they look great. They just need to say more than The Golf Club. Also, and I don't know how, it would be nice if societies could place their name or tourney name on a board and it appear on the course if the designer set banners on his course. Would also love to see live leaderboards on course during tourneys. Would like to have golf bag near golfer and when you choose club, the golfer pulls it from the bag. I have several other ideas that would bring the game to life, but I think enough heads are being scratched already.

slickmick

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »
Auto generated courses should not be published they are a big waste of time. If people want to play them fine let them but don't publish them. I don't like sorting through the rubbish trying to find the good stuff.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:13:39 PM by slickmick »

friendBOMBER

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
New features in the designer are always welcomed, but making small improvements to the features that already exist is more important to me. The course designer is such a great tool, but sometimes I feel I waste more time with these annoyances than anything else. As a result, I often find myself half-assing certain things or needing a break from the designer altogether. For example, separating the bushes from the grass was the single greatest thing to happen in my life.

I'll list a few here off the top of my head and add more as I think of them.

Fixing splines. Splines are great and the new auto-fill feature sounds promising, but the little indents along the path are a pain and the clean up process is tedious.

Laying light rough. I just read a copy spline option is in the works. Great news! Even better would be to have a rough slider attached to the FW, similar to how the fringe works with the green.

Lining up objects. The snap feature was a great addition, but not always an option. It would be a hug help if there was a "nudge" feature where you could move object more precisely.

Retaining walls. kinda related to the above. It would be nice to have some wall sections with 45 degree ends so there weren't gaps when creating a curve.

Sculpting. It would be HUGELY beneficial if the terrain grid would follow the cursor when sculpting. This would eliminate having to move pin 1 around to get the grid in the correct place. This could/should be toggled on and off.

Playtesting. Way more of a PIA than it should be. These options would greatly reduce the frustration:
- "Perfect shot" button
- change pin on the fly
- change tee on the fly
- change club set on the fly
- pick up and drop the ball option
- set / change wind
- jump to hole
- see the full score card at any time

Adding "fringe" as a separate surface I should't need magic tricks to add fringe.

More sharp edge brushes. We just have a circle and square at the moment. A thin rectangle and that sausage looking thing would come in handy <prepares for "that's what she said" joke>

Multi-plant. Love the updates to multi-plant, but breakin the cluster doesn't always work.

Revert to last save.  Sometimes you do something so bad (and by sometimes I mean ALL THE TIME), the best option is to quit without saving and re-load the course to try again.  Adding a "revert to last save" option so you don't have to quit would be really great.

Publish a Beta. Beta courses are becoming more and more common. I hardly ever do it because I don't want my course list cluttered.If we could publish a beta course that we could delete (or would expire on it's own) I would definitely take advantage of it.  This could just be a "me" thing, but I think it would be a great feature.

Clubhouses. I'll admit this is a small one, but is there a reason the clubhouse flattens the land when placed? I wish they were more like the other buildings and didn't affect the terrain.

Greens set to zero. All other surfaces can be set to zero. It would be nice to not have to deal with the little odd shape left over.

Light Rough / Heavy Rough set to zero in the default options. We can set everything else to zero as a default.

Edit #1:

Multiplant rocks. Self explanatory.

Toggle on/off measuring tool marks. People use the measuring tool way more than I think you may realize. I personally use it to draw out my holes, but I've seen so many different uses for it. Selfishly, I would love a pencil tool for sketching out ideas, but at the very least we need a toggle to show and hide the distance tool markers from view.

Edit #2:

Fix the heavy rough squiggle. When light rough and heavy rough overlap, the light rough gets squiggly. The work-around is stupid tedious and I don't even bother with it.

Green speed slider. Could this slider please display the actual speed of the green rather than the seemingly random number that is currently there?  For instance, if I want my greens at 170, I should be able to move the slider to 170 instead of somewhere between 7.7 and 7.8.

Spline width. Once you set the width for a spline surface that should become the default spline width for that surface. For example, I place my FW spline at 3.5 yards, light rough at 5, cart path at 2. The next spline I place for those surfaces should be the same width instead of having to change it every single time.

Edit #3:

Surface Toggle. In TGC1, When using shapes you used to be able to quickly toggle between surfaces without having to back track in the menus.  Huge time saver compared to TGC2, where you have to place a piece of FW and then back out of the brush, back out of the surface, select the new surface, select the brush and finally place.

Like I said, I'll add more as I think of the, but thats all I have for now.
YES to all of these! PLEASE!!!!
My Courses:
Valhalla GC
Pebble Beach
Firestone CC South
East Lake Golf Club
TPC at Sawgrass
Hobble Creek GC
The Grizzly

Monument National GC
Celebration Golf Club
Riverside Golf Club
Pelikila Golf Club
Potomac Country Club
Briarbanks Country Club
West Fields Golf Club
Palo Verde Golf Club

vladthemert

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
Some cracking ideas.  I also wish the boundary change to match what you build.  if build river then the river should carry on all the way.  change the heavy rough pallet should also change beyond the boundary.  The other option maybe allow creator to access this develop it not as usable for hole creation but scope the landscape make it look better planting to match your course.

Another is tall grass instead looking aesthetic it actually acts like tall grass becomes challenge to get out of tougher grass.  I think this lies we should have varied more rough if had this you could create course with different levels toughness rough.

Ideally I would love there possible able to open assets to modding but feel this could be difficult implement and manage for HB.  Alternative give creators more assets micro assets so you can literally able to build variety of structures with creation from clubhouses to houses.  Its great HB come up with this line to there game but feel its time to up the ante course assets quite limited feel now it needs that open world feel to its building options.

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
Apologies if: A. this has already been discussed or, B. it's possible now but my limited skill in the designer prevents me from doing it.

The forced rough around bunkers and water.  Would it be possible for fairway to lead directly into water.  I'm thinking specifically about #12 and 15 at Magnolia.  99% of the time, every ball on 15 that hits that slope in front of the green gets wet.  The game lays down that heavy rough around the hazard, which stops the ball and literally removes all fear about going for that green in 2.  Just wondering.
My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

space-cash